Thor buys Jayco...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Yet another independent RV maker bites the dust. The Bontrager family is selling Jayco to Thor Industries, for a reported $576M.  The Jayco company includes the Entegra coach brand, Starcraft and Highland Ridge brands as well as the Jayco brand itself.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/thor-announces-acquisition-of-jayco-for-576-million-300293191.html

Great financial move for the Bontrager family, I'm sure, but I'm sorry to see yet another brand rolled up into an industrial conglomerate. Inevitably there will be a consolidation of styling, designs and production to achieve "economy of scale" and maximize profits.

From what I've been hearing from folks I've talked to lately about their Jayco's, it might be an improvement. I've talked to a lot of dissatisfied Jayco owners in the last year.

Haven't purchased an RV yet but I guess this will make them more expensive when I take the plunge after I finish school. Bummer.

but I guess this will make them more expensive when I take the plunge after I finish school. Bummer.

Hard to say. The RV industry is extremely price competitive, one might even say "cut-throat", but consolidation like this is bound to reduce competition a little. Thor is sure to avoid competing with themselves and they own a major part of the trailer business.

RVDailyReport.com doesn't like the deal, but some commenters do.

http://rvdailyreport.com/opinion/opinion-the-more-things-change-expect-them-to-stay-the-same/

I share the opinion of RV Daily Report. Big business has some advantages, e.g. more stability and better capital resources to fund new plants and product development, but they are also notable for being unresponsive to consumers and stifling creativity. Neither Thor nor Forest River are well known for customer service and their products are no better (or worse) than anyone else's.

I'm also alarmed at Lippert (LCI) swallowing up suppliers left & right. LCI is good at making money but only mediocre at making products, and the companies they gobble up typically cut back on their customer interface & support, remove online access to information, and reduce warranty service.

kdbgoat said:
From what I've been hearing from folks I've talked to lately about their Jayco's, it might be an improvement. I've talked to a lot of dissatisfied Jayco owners in the last year.

Well then, they'll fit in real well with Thor.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I share the opinion of RV Daily Report. Big business has some advantages, e.g. more stability and better capital resources to fund new plants and product development, but they are also notable for being unresponsive to consumers and stifling creativity. Neither Thor nor Forest River are well known for customer service and their products are no better (or worse) than anyone else's.

I'm also alarmed at Lippert (LCI) swallowing up suppliers left & right. LCI is good at making money but only mediocre at making products, and the companies they gobble up typically cut back on their customer interface & support, remove online access to information, and reduce warranty service.

Yes, Lippert is a huge problem for RV makers and customers. Manufacturers must find better suppliers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom