Would you pay for a doggie play park?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aljo97

Hello: At home, I have a homemade dog agility course to entertain my GSD plus a fenced off area with dog play toys and puzzles. The course has stations like weave bars, see-saw, tunnels, jumps etc. The play area has a kiddy pool, flip around treat dispenser, tug around fishing pole, chew toys etc. My friends all love to use it when they visit. I'm thinking about expanding and turning it into a small business. I am also an RVer, and have had difficulty entertaining my dog at times on the road. I often thought it would be great to find a park like this for a fun day devoted to my dog. My question to RVers with pets is.......Would you pay a few dollars for access to a park where you could let your puppy play and run the course? Say $20-$30 unlimited access for the day, shade spot for picnic and a bath area for pup once done? Maybe you'd like a store to buy treats, puzzles and toys to take back to RV? While on the road, would you go out of your way a few miles for a day of frolicking fun with your pup? If I build it.....will they come? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated and welcomed!

I'm sorry but it would not be an RV park. It would be a dog park only. I thought that RVers especially would appreciate a place to take their dog(s) for a play day. RV parks usually just have a place for on leash only dogs to poop. You also wouldn't need to share the facility. The course is run one at a time and the play park has separate cubes fenced off. That way you don't need to interact with other dogs.

I have serious doubts that many would bother, or would pay that much. I'm looking out the windshield at a free facility like you describe and it's not that unusual at mid scale RV parks(KOA's in particular). Off hand, I can remember half a dozen similar facilities provided by Municipalities; not to mention "doggie beaches and similar".

Ernie

Aljo97 said:
I'm sorry but it would not be an RV park. It would be a dog park only. I thought that RVers especially would appreciate a place to take their dog(s) for a play day. RV parks usually just have a place for on leash only dogs to poop. You also wouldn't need to share the facility. The course is run one at a time and the play park has separate cubes fenced off. That way you don't need to interact with other dogs.

We've been to many RV parks that have an off leash dog play area, some even with separate large and small dog areas. We don't have our dog any longer, but when we did, I can't see us paying extra for a facility like the one you described. Perhaps if it was a doggy day care facility it might draw more interest. Back in her younger years, our dog did have a great time playing with other dogs and taking agility classes at Four Paws Kingdom RV Park in North Carolina though.

There is a kennel near us that sets up an agility course every weekend in June, with the proceeds going to charity. They charge 10 bucks for a dog to run the course twice. They're packed every weekend. We go every year, because the dog likes it and the money goes to a good cause.

How does this translate to your plan? I don't really know.

You might be able to convince some RV park owners that they need one and build it for them.  Different equipment for different parks at varying prices.  I doubt many (any) RVers would be interested in paying that much for a day at a dog park.

Depending on where you live, there are many free parks, but I would be leery of going to any one of them except at early morning times. It's never the dogs at dog parks, it's always the owners. I've heard many horror stories about what goes on at them, with clueless owners on their phones, bringing young children, bringing food, etc.
That said, I found an RV park that actually has a dog park in it, with agility equipment, toys, poop bags, and all. I'm hoping to get a reservation there as a lot of it is seasonal people, to spend a few days. If I do, I'll certainly post a review for other dog lovers and travellers.

We've been very fortunate in finding either RV parks with a doggy park, or a nearby community that has one. We have just the one small dog now, but when we had 2 and they were just pups, we'd take them over once a day when possible. One pup hung close to Mama while the other made new friends...then the "hanger-on" would take off after her brother and both get worn out. Of course I only put them in the small dog section; those of us who travel with our "babies" know we have to make time for our pets and protect them. I have yet to find any dog park where either of Us felt threatened. Suggest you google the community your staying each time to see what they may offer. Good luck!

Aljo97 said:
My question to RVers with pets is.......Would you pay a few dollars for access to a park where you could let your puppy play and run the course?

I'm sure you would have this course properly licensed and insured with a competent person overseeing this a............operation. I can see you only losing about 12 to 15 thousand your first year.
Go for it, What could possibly go wrong.

$20-30 a day ? For day use ? Maybe for overnighting or all day supervised while we go off sightseeing. We find free dog parks wherever we go, many with pools, lakes, trails, toys.

As someone who has dogs that participate in agility challenges I like how you're thinking... but unfortunately, no.
We have found that many towns have an agility course in a dog park for $1 - $3.  If we're looking for a quick stop to exert some energy.
When we're in a RV park, the "boys" get more exercise than the do at home.  They're hiking, swimming in lakes, walking around new towns or just wandering around the grounds with us making new friends.  One of the things we like about the lifestyle is we spend time together and see new places.
Sorry.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom