Printer with wifi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Not A Clue

My current printer in the house is setup on my wireless network  (with a router)  When we move into the coach we will be using a cell phone for Internet.  Will my printer work wireless using my phone vs a router?

Not unless you are able to set it up that way at home, too. Your phone, if Android, will need some sort of printing software added for it to work, and when I once tried that it was a bit of a headache. I did get an Epson 810 to work from Android, but I wasn't able to get an HP to work (software was different).

I can't speak to Apple or Windows phones, though.

I will be using it with a laptop,  will be using phone Hotspot.  WI'll that work the same with wifi as my router at home?

Theoretically it should work, but the set up may be problamatic.  My Brother has a wifi wizard to assist with the set up, and it still took 6 or 7 tries when we set it up at the cottage.

Ed

Not A Clue said:
I will be using it with a laptop,  will be using phone Hotspot.  WI'll that work the same with wifi as my router at home?

Yes, it will work perfectly fine; we do it all the time.  Your phone's hotspot acts as a router.  Devices that are connected to it are connected to each other.  Just have the printer and the laptop connect to the hotspot.  We have an HP printer and it's definitely NOT problematic.

If you have an HP printer, you can also have the laptop connect directly to the wifi signal that the printer broadcasts. 

A third approach is to have a wifi repeater/router such as a WiFiRanger in the RV.  All the devices in my RV connect to the local wifi network set up by the Ranger which then connects to either my cellular hotspot or the campground's wifi.

We have an HP printer here at home. I'm connected to it via USB since my PC doesn't have wireless capability, but my wife's PC does...so she's connected to it that way. No reason it shouldn't work in your RV, especially if the printer itself offers wireless connectivity, in which case your laptop will connect directly to the printer. (if it's not connected to the router with a cable, then it does)

I will give a bit more info....

Wi-Fi devices OTHER THAN ROUTERS like a single pairing.. So if you are using PARK WI-FI, and the park router does not allow you to "talk to other computers" you likely will be unable to connect to the printer via the parks' router (That's called Guest mode by the way).

If you have your OWN router, as I do,, No tribble

The other choice is to connect to Park Wi-Fi, then when you need to print print in such a way it is saved on the HD, then disconnect from the park and connect to the printer, print (I have a PDF printer here, (C8te PDF Printer with Ghost Script) that lets me print as PDF  I save many things that way)

But I can tell you that gets boring.

Of the computers I use

This one connects to the router via Cat-5
The other one beside me, Phone and Tablet  Via Wi-Fi (usually) the one beside me goes Cat to USB on occasion but not here

Printer can connect via Cat or Wi-Fi, Currently Wi-Fio.. but .. Cat is very possible since it has the port.

All connect to my own "house" router.... This connects to park Wi-Fi via a "Game Adapter" (Wi-Fi Modem) which converts Wi-Fi to Cat-5 type cable.  Usually it works well but the Game Adapter is a bit flakey in high heat.

docj said:
Yes, it will work perfectly fine; we do it all the time.  Your phone's hotspot acts as a router.  Devices that are connected to it are connected to each other.  Just have the printer and the laptop connect to the hotspot.  We have an HP printer and it's definitely NOT problematic.

If you have an HP printer, you can also have the laptop connect directly to the wifi signal that the printer broadcasts. 

A third approach is to have a wifi repeater/router such as a WiFiRanger in the RV.  All the devices in my RV connect to the local wifi network set up by the Ranger which then connects to either my cellular hotspot or the campground's wifi.

I have an Epson but should work the same.  Thanks!

I don't need a router. I conect to my printer using the built in wifi connections.  Read the instructions on how to set up your printer.
Bill

We both have MSI laptops and connect to the internet by our Cradlepoint router and Verizon phone.  It provides a local area network so we both can print on our very small (cigarette carton size) Canon iP90 printer.  Perfect for our needs.  We also have a very thin (1" thick) scanner that we both can use via the LAN.  We don't normally use park wifi because we found it to be too unreliable.  All it takes is one person who wants to stream a movie and that ruins it for everyone else.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom