Motor Home headlamp replacements/upgrades.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

29er

Has anybody replaced their factory headlamps for something like Sylvania SilverStar red hot blue light for better illumination?  If so, were you pleased with the results, did they meet your expectations?

To be brutally honest, I don't like them one bit - especially in vehicles approaching me from the other direction. IMHO they are inconsiderate and blinding to oncoming traffic. While the brighter light probably means somewhat safer driving for those using them, I feel it gives a false sense of security, and may contribute to overdriving your vehicles' ability (and your own) to stop or slow down when a hazard presents itself. Deer, Elk, Buffalo, Elephants can jump out a few feet in front of you; not necessarily 1/2 mile down the road. I also feel the harsh blueish-white light would increase eye and overall driver fatigue on those long night trips. I also believe many manufacturers have stopped putting them in their new vehicles for these and possibly other reasons. They may be legal, but that doesn't make them user-friendly.  They're not for me.   

they come in four degrees of brightness. I agree with you on the "blinders".

However, most of the "blinders" have been put on as replacements. Those "blinders" are just bling-bling to the owners.

Because of that problem auto manufacturers have changed how the light cavity is engineered so to not have this problem. Just can't aim them high enough to "blind" oncoming traffic.

29er,

I just found this.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/default.htm

JerryF

29er, I am for one diametricaly opposed to the blue lights. For us old timers that have had cataract implants they are an abomonation. No matter how well they are focused they drive you crazy on two lane high ways. I know we aren't supposed to get old, but it happens whether we want it or not.

There is a national safety standard web site where you can file a protest against them. I have done this and the answer I recieved back was that they were being reviewed and that they met all current safety standards. That may be true for those driving with them, but they fail to take in consideration those approaching them.

I for one would not have them in consideration for my fellow travelers.

Karl said it very well.

Jerry

What's really interesting is that many people on this forum do indeed have cars and trucks with the relatively new headlamps. Not a peep.

Those without them think the headlamps were an invention of the devil.

Convinced me!

I doubt that many of us have those obnoxious blinding road lights.  Most of us are mature enough not to need such unnecessary additions to our vehicles nor are we so unthoughtful of others to use them when in traffic if are vehicles are so equipped.  Regular headlights kept in proper adjustment are all that are needed under most circumstances.

I doubt if even 5% of the members here have tampered with their headlights or modified them in any way unless the vehicle manufacturer offered it. Like Ned indicated most of us are mature enough not to need such unnecessary mods nor are we so unthoughtful of others to use such light in traffic and cause others discomfort.

As for motorhomes if the lights are lacking changing the bulbs usually will not make any difference.  The only modification necessary is to insure the proper voltage is present at the lights.  Many motorhomes are found to have less than 11VDC feeding the headlamps and some manufacturer have offered mods to correct this condition.  Would you believe the Mods don't include changing the light bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom