Windows Updates W-7 to W-10 & back to W-7, no Windows updates will update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nvrver

Windows Updates W-7 to W-10 & back to W-7, no Windows updates will update

The last Windows update I was able to complete was on 03/06/16 when I upgraded to W-10.
At the time I updated to W-10 my old printer would not work with W-10 so I went back to W-7. 

Since going back no Windows updates will download including trying to go back to W-10.  They won?t even register as Failed or Canceled.

I had to replace my printer so now nothing is stopping me from the free W-10 upgrade other than my computer and not sure if I really want W-10.  I would either like to upgrade to W-10 or get my W-7 updates updated.  Any suggestions.  I have a total of 40 W-7 updates that I need to complete.  Dick nvrver

IMO Windows 10 is a perfectly fine operating system.  If you listened to all the people on these forums who don't like changing operating systems you'd still be running MS-DOS.

My suggestion is to follow the instructions you will find here: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-10-usb-flash-drive-guide/ for making a bootable upgrade USB stick for Windows 10.  It's been my experience that there are fewer problems using this approach compared to the regular Windows 10 upgrade app.

Thanks docj for the info.  I have a Lexar 8 GB Jumpdrive with 7.33 GB free space.  Is that what I need to download a bootable upgrade?  Is that the same thing as a jump drive?  Also once I make a bootable drive what do I do to get it to replace W-7 with W-10 ?    The link you gave me is almost a year old, will I be loading an old version of W-10 ?    I can use a computer, not good at doing other than that.  Dick

BinaryBob I could not find " Windows\softwaredistribution\download ".  Went to Control Panel and brought up uninstall a program and looked at all then entered it in the search area still nothing matching.  Dick

nvrver said:
Thanks docj for the info.  I have a Lexar 8 GB Jumpdrive with 7.33 GB free space.  Is that what I need to download a bootable upgrade?  Is that the same thing as a jump drive?  Also once I make a bootable drive what do I do to get it to replace W-7 with W-10 ?    The link you gave me is almost a year old, will I be loading an old version of W-10 ?    I can use a computer, not good at doing other than that.  Dick

Yes, you should be able to use the Lexar but you will lose anything that is currently on it.  The drive will be a bootable version of Win 10; it will automatically replace your Win 7.

That is not an old link that I gave you; it is the official Microsoft link for making Win 10 bootable media.  You will be getting a current copy of Win 10

BinaryBob I still can?t find it, I think I may just switch from W7 to W10  with info docj gave me.  Thanks for the help. 

docj I understand and will transfer files I want to keep.  The reason I thought it would be an old download of W10 is the date written by By Paul Morris is July 29th, 2015.  Thanks for the help.  Dick

nvrver said:
  The reason I thought it would be an old download of W10 is the date written by By Paul Morris is July 29th, 2015. 
Yes, the article is a year old but it links to an official Microsoft site which will provide a current version of Windows.

At the end of this month, W10 will give you the final nag- opportunity to get W10 free.
Included will be a tool to " that allows for a clean install of the operating system as well as the removal of bloatware from the system. Although users currently have the option of restoring their systems to their previous operating system version, the upgrades were installed on top of the current operating system instead of replacing the operating system."

http://www.inquisitr.com/3282687/windows-10-anniversary-edition-offers-new-security-features-and-final-nag-screen-for-upgrades/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheInquisitrTechnology+%28The+Inquisitr+%C2%BB+Technology%29

That should clean up all the partial installs and reinstalls you have.

oldme said:
At the end of this month, W10 will give you the final nag- opportunity to get W10 free.

There's no reason to wait until the end of the month for this.  The link I've provided can be used in two different ways.  One approach creates a "clean install" and the other is the kind that keeps your files intact.  This has been available the entire time the Windows 10 upgrade program has been ongoing.

docj I completed the download you suggested to my flash drive and will install it late next week.  If I understand correctly when I?m ready to upgrade using this flash drive I start W7 then access the flash drive within Windows and running setup.exc should begin the upgrade process.  Dick

nvrver said:
docj I completed the download you suggested to my flash drive and will install it late next week.  If I understand correctly when I?m ready to upgrade using this flash drive I start W7 then access the flash drive within Windows and running setup.exc should begin the upgrade process.  Dick

That is correct.

Joel (AKA docj)

Joel, thanks for the help I am now on W-10.  It took about 90 minutes to do download today from the flash drive.  Dick

docj said:
My suggestion is to follow the instructions you will find here: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-10-usb-flash-drive-guide/ for making a bootable upgrade USB stick for Windows 10.  It's been my experience that there are fewer problems using this approach compared to the regular Windows 10 upgrade app.

I have an older HP notebook that was my daughter's in college (that I plan on using as the "motorhome computer") that used to run Vista (yuck) and for which I purchased a new Win7 upgrade disk for the express purpose of then upgrading to Win10 to bring it out of the dark ages. (Can't upgrade direct from Vista to Win10). I can't tell you literally how many days I have spent and how many failed attempts at upgrading to Win10 I've gone through, trying every suggestion I could find; I had given up .... until now. Oh. My. God. It worked!

How amusing that after all the time I spent on Microsoft and other computer forums trying to find a solution, here I find the one solution that works on the RV forum! Too funny  ;)

Thanks!

Sun2Retire if you use the flash drive method like I did here is a hint.  When downloading after Preparing is done it brings up a screen and recommends you check for updates, hit the not now button and continue download.  I made the mistake of hitting check for updates and it didn?t do it.  I had to stop the dowuload and shut down computer and then start again.  Dick

Thanks. I've already successfully installed Win10 and am now checking for updates

Back
Top Bottom