Laptop suddenly has no sound......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
My Acer laptop suddenly has lost it's voice. No sound from the on board speakers, or even through the headphone jack. I have checked the device manager, it says all items are working normally. The speaker icon in the task bar shows nothing muted, and even at 100% volume, doesn't make  a peep.

Could the sound card in the motherboard suddenly have failed? There has been no sudden drops, shocks or power surges. Everything about the laptop works fine. Just no sound.  Any ideas guys?

Marty, I've had that happen twice on my Toshiba Win 10 laptop. Found the answer via google, and it meant re-installing a driver. The first time I did it, I got locked out of Win 10, and had to figure out how to get logged in as admin. The second time, I avoided the lockout, but it was more by luck than superior knowledge  :-[

Meanwhile, I have no clue how or why the driver gets corrupted or lost.

Yes I did Marty, although one of the google references suggested I might not, while another suggested I would.

If you haven't already, go back into Device Manager and delete the audio driver completely (highlight audio device, delete key, confirm "are you sure?").  Restart the computer and it should re-install the stock Windows driver automatically.  See if that helps... if not, yeah it's possible that the sound card is fried.

Thanks guys. I went with Toms first suggestion and went to the Acer web site. I downloaded the latest driver (2013 vintage). I installed it, over wrote all the existing files and fired it up.  Success! My sound card is function is back. Hard telling where it went to start with, but thanks for the good input. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom