Retiring in1.5 years. Temporary fulltimer

• Thread starter rockin rockwood
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

rockin rockwood

Retiring, selling the sticks and bricks, then relocating to AZ. Will be living in the motorhome for anywhere from 4 months to something less than a year while we actively look for suitable housing. So I guess I need to know where to begin. My insurance company only insures NJ and PA residents, so I'll need a national insurance co. (Geico,Progressive,etc) but they will need an address. I wont necessarily have one. Pension,banking and heath insurance is covered, but will need an address for those also. Do clubs like Escapees circumvent this problem? Maybe I'm making to much of a big deal out of it! Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Dan

Hi, we went with Good Sam insurance who use National. You can go to them direct.  We bought a UPS mailbox which we used as our address with no problems. They forward  mail etc as do Escapees etc. Good luck  :D

Hi Dan, the learning curve is steep but, in this case, not too tall!  ;)  It's all pretty simple in hindsight. Given your plan, it seems that getting setup for full-timing is overkill. However; here is some info in that regard.

There are several mail forwarding companies that deal with your mail and provide a "mailing address".  They are typically in SD, TX, and FL.  I use Americas Mailbox (in SD) but Escapees provides the service as do many others (do a search for mail forwarding). Health insurance can be an issue for some folks (when choosing a state) and, I believe, these three states require you to be there in person (with your RV) on initial licensing/registration.  This step (licensing/registration) seems unnecessary in your case as you just need an address, not sure what to tell you about that.

Many of the big insurance companies provide RV insurance but only a few provide "full-timers" (continuous use) RV insurance. I use "Explorer Insurance Agency" and have a policy with "National Interstate".  Never had a claim so no idea how good they are.

Best of luck on your retirement and move!

Be aware that "fulltimer" means different things at different companies or agencies. For example, at National Interstate (Explorer RV), it merely means you spend more than 150 nights/year in the RV and thus are charged a slightly greater premium for the same coverage limits. There are no extra coverages included. Some other policies may bundle additional liability or other features under that label, e.g. "campsite liability". Thus you need to be careful to understand exactly what you are getting, and how that stacks up against your insurance needs.

A "fulltimer" who has no other insurance may wish to have liability coverage that covers accidents other than driving, e.g. a guest falls down the steps or you spill a glass of red wine on a friend's nice new carpet. People typically get that type of coverage as part of a homeowners or renter policy, something that a fulltimer probably nolonger has.

Thanks everybody. The wife and I have been fantasizing about this since we were married 30 years ago! Now all of a sudden without much planning and a lot of excitement it's almost time to jump into this "plan"!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom