Rudeness...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this is a sign that some restaurants need to take the initiative and introduce a dining area with a "cell free zone". How hard would it be to build a room with a Faraday cage around it so no electronics would operate within the area?

azwinne said:
Maybe this is a sign that some restaurants need to take the initiative and introduce a dining area with a "cell free zone". How hard would it be to build a room with a Faraday cage around it so no electronics would operate within the area?

As far as I know, it is illegal to block cell signals. There was a "gentleman" that was arrested and charged with a federal crime for blocking cells signals on his way to work on I4 here in Florida. He purchased a device online from China. He said he was tired of watching people using their phones while driving. Problem is that he disrupted first responder communications also.

This link specifically talks about jammers, but I think it applies to intentional blocking also.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jamming-cell-phones-and-gps-equipment-against-law

azwinne said:

Ive thought that schools should do this to keep students off their devices during class hours.  But its been shot down by parent groups who want little Billy to have access to communication at all times.  I can understand the access in some crisis situations, but most of the time I think it causes more distractions and downplays the authority of the teacher & school rules.

SeilerBird said:
There is nothing new here. Teenagers have been pissing off old people since day one. It will never stop no matter how much complaining you all do on a forum. Of course when I was a teenager then all teens were perfect. ::)

Agreed, but this goes way beyond teens.

It's the culture and I don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

We were kayaking with three other full-timing couples. The other three still needed to work. While we were kayaking two of the other women were on conference calls.

Before I retired I used to have lunch every Friday with three or four other guys. We had been doing this for over twenty years and our cell phones were becoming a distraction at lunch. So we decided that everyone would put their phone in the middle of the table and the first to answer his phone paid for lunch. Pretty much solved our problem.

For what it is worth Tom' I agree with you 100 percent.
It is rude, but unfortunately the sign of our times

jack L

My father was upset at my Transistor Radio and the way I carried it all of the time. Times have changed...Lighten Up for heaven's sake. Bigger things to be concerned about then what other folks do with their time. :)

I once walked over to an adjoining table in a restaurant where a guy was holding a loud conversation on speaker phone and joined the call. I told them that since we had to listen to the call, I might as well be part of it.

It may be illegal to use get caught using one,  but now I want one of those Chinese cell phone blockers..

So far we have people who want to stick someone's phone where it wouldn't be easily accessible, build Faraday cages in schools,using radio signal interference to control other people's behavior and deciding, with absolutely no basis in fact, how other people feel when dining companions use technology. Whatever happened to mind your own business? If one doesn't like people using technology in their presence that is fine, and should be communicated prior to being with those people. Maybe send a text? LOL. I find this more to be an issue with "mature" people. Please do not try to force upon me, and other people, your opinions on the proper times and places to use technology. We should all set our own individual boundaries without trampling on other people's rights.
RichH

aguablanco said:
So far we have people who want to stick someone's phone where it wouldn't be easily accessible, build Faraday cages in schools,using radio signal interference to control other people's behavior and deciding, with absolutely no basis in fact, how other people feel when dining companions use technology. Whatever happened to mind your own business? If one doesn't like people using technology in their presence that is fine, and should be communicated prior to being with those people. Maybe send a text? LOL. I find this more to be an issue with "mature" people. Please do not try to force upon me, and other people, your opinions on the proper times and places to use technology. We should all set our own individual boundaries without trampling on other people's rights.
RichH
Obviously YOU are missing the whole point... Many of us would very much like to mind our own business, but we are being infringed upon by the inconsiderate actions of the ones who are loud and obnoxious behavior with their electronics devices.
What I said earlier a restaurant having a dining room with a Faraday cage was for people who CHOOSE to use such an area of their own free will in order to be free of the annoying devices. There are some people who would appreciate their desires to be met too, you know .... well maybe you don't??

azwinne said:
Obviously YOU are missing the whole point... Many of us would very much like to mind our own business, but we are being infringed upon by the inconsiderate actions of the ones who are loud and obnoxious behavior with their electronics devices.
What I said earlier a restaurant having a dining room with a Faraday cage was for people who CHOOSE to use such an area of their own free will in order to be free of the annoying devices. There are some people who would appreciate their desires to be met too, you know .... well maybe you don't??

I don't think I missed any points. Is there a difference between technology users and just plain old loud people? Unless you are in a fine dining establishment, a number of which have no cell phones at the table policies, there has to be a reasonable expectation that some noise from the other guests will be happening. Just the proximity of the tables, not to mention the acoustics, in a casual dining restaurant will make that environment reasonably noisy. We have many rights in this great country, the right to not be offended/outraged is not one of them. If an establishment had the environment you so dislike I would not patronize it. I would not expect everyone to meet my expectations. Our comfort and happiness is not anyone's responsibility, it is ours alone. Vote with your wallet, don't patronize those noisy establishments, and see if that brings about the changes you desire.
RichH

Quillback 424 said:
First you are offended because you see someone on a cell phone.

Now you're offended because someone at an adjacent table could handle their business in a quiet, professional manner while eating their dinner. Frankly, our table was much louder after she was done with her business and all three of us caught up on each other's lives.

Maybe it is you who should pay more attention to your own dinner guest and less time staring at the actions of every other patron in the establishment, who must find you really rude.
X2

aguablanco said:
We have many rights in this great country, the right to not be offended/outraged is not one of them.

I have to disagree to a certain extent. Remember years ago when they came out with those huge boom boxes. Kids would need a forklift to carry them around they were so big. They would take them to the beaches in my area and crank the volume up on them. People got so tired of hearing that they complained and before long they were outlawed on the beaches. Just like loud exhaust/mufflers on cars,  loud music from cars and loud motorcycles.   
Just like smoking in restaurants. It's Illegal in most states as far as I know because smokers were infringing on my rights and health.
If you ant to use your electronic devices in restaurants, please have the courtesy to walk away so that people can enjoy their meal and not have to listen to what's transpired that day in someone's life.

Rene T said:
I have to disagree to a certain extent. Remember years ago when they came out with those huge boom boxes. Kids would need a forklift to carry them around they were so big. They would take them to the beaches in my area and crank the volume up on them. People got so tired of hearing that they complained and before long they were outlawed on the beaches. Just like loud exhaust/mufflers on cars,  loud music from cars and loud motorcycles.   
Just like smoking in restaurants. It's Illegal in most states as far as I know because smokers were infringing on my rights and health.
If you ant to use your electronic devices in restaurants, please have the courtesy to walk away so that people can enjoy their meal and not have to listen to what's transpired that day in someone's life.

The boom boxes is a great example of exactly what I was talking about. People voted with their wallet and/or complained and a new policy was started. Why not use the same tactic for, what some perceive, rude people on electronic devices? If enough people complain changes will be made, otherwise we have a new norm.
Since we are all guaranteed the rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness I understand the smoking ban for obvious reasons. Maybe even the loud mufflers to protect our hearing above a certain decibel level. Someone talking at the next table? Not so much. Kids bugging "mature" people by having their noses in an electronic device, not really. As has been said before, there really is no difference between a loud group seated near you and someone on an electronic device. If it bugs you that much inform management that you will no longer patronize that establishment unless things change. Don't expect everyone to conform to your standard of quiet. Most restaurants and bars don't have a library.
RichH

If someone is using a phone in a public place it doesn't bother me, however if they are loudly talking I will move closer and in an obvious way listen in to the conversation. They usually will move away or disconnect.

On a completely different  note. I once saw a young girl texting while she was walking across a parking lot. She tripped on a curb and fell face first into a planter. She got up, brushed herself off and fell into the same planter again. But she never dropped the iphone or missed a text.

Gooma said:
On a completely different  note. I once saw a young girl texting while she was walking across a parking lot. She tripped on a curb and fell face first into a planter. She got up, brushed herself off and fell into the same planter again. But she never dropped the iphone or missed a text.

Ah yes "walking while texting" could be the next major threat out there on the streets... threat to themselves that is.  Watching people ride a bicycle while texting (or even just talking on the cell phone) is even more laughable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom