Rudeness...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad I no longer make the daily commute into Silicon Valley!

When I bought my last car car, a 06 Mustang GT, I was driving along listening to the radio and my phone rang. I ignored it like I always do and next thing I know the damn car answered my phone!!!! Bluetooth radio and it was set to answer the phone. It was my daughter but I can tell you I was NOT comfortable talking on a phone even though I had no hands on anything. I just told her I would call her back. I just plain find it distracting to talk on the phone. I have since set the bluetooth not to answer the phone. Strange because we all carry on conversations with passengers with no problems. Some even have conversations with themselves. ;D ;D

What's your point? That's the only way I can get the answer I want. ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D It is also the only way I win arguments. ::) ::) Actually I even lose some of them. ??? ???

Rudeness...I actually fired myself for insubordination from the jobsite one day because no one is allowed to talk to me the way that I had talked to myself.

Rickf1985 said:
;D ;D ;D ;D It is also the only way I win arguments. ::) ::) Actually I even lose some of them. ??? ???

My wife says I never listen to her.....or I think that's what she was sayin'.. 8)

Back to the OP...

Isn't intentionally listening to other people's conversations and watching what the next table is doing the epitome of rudeness?

dave54 said:
Back to the OP...

Isn't intentionally listening to other people's conversations and watching what the next table is doing the epitome of rudeness?

Dave, 

You would of course be correct, if that had been the intent.  The intent had been to have a quiet dinner, it was the actions and sounds of the other parties that drew the attention.  When events are so bold and loud that it negates the intent of "QUIET" from that point you are drug along by circumstances whether you want to be or not.  You can hardly "unhear" or "ignore" others rude actions, unless you wish to compound the situation by becoming personally involved. 

The real solution should have been to leave or worsen the situation by demanding that the offenders be asked to desist by the owners of the restaurant.

Since this post has brought out a lot of discussion regarding the "POINT" of the post, the use of electronic devices and "OUR" collective acceptance that because a person has one it automatically gives that person the "RIGHT" to use it any old time or place they choose regardless of anyone else's "RIGHTS".

My feelings are that Device Owners DO NOT have the "RIGHT" to inflict their ownership of the device on others. 

Where are good manners today?  Do they even exist any more?

Tom Hoffman said:
Dave, 

You would of course be correct, if that had been the intent.  The intent had been to have a quiet dinner, it was the actions and sounds of the other parties that drew the attention.  When events are so bold and loud that it negates the intent of "QUIET" from that point you are drug along by circumstances whether you want to be or not.  You can hardly "unhear" or "ignore" others rude actions, unless you wish to compound the situation by becoming personally involved. 

The real solution should have been to leave or worsen the situation by demanding that the offenders be asked to desist by the owners of the restaurant.

Since this post has brought out a lot of discussion regarding the "POINT" of the post, the use of electronic devices and "OUR" collective acceptance that because a person has one it automatically gives that person the "RIGHT" to use it any old time or place they choose regardless of anyone else's "RIGHTS".

My feelings are that Device Owners DO NOT have the "RIGHT" to inflict their ownership of the device on others. 

Where are good manners today?  Do they even exist any more?

X2  :)

Rudeness?  An article appeared today regarding baseball umpire Bob Davidson who "ejected" a fan from the stadium.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/umpire-bob-davidson-ejects-phillies-fan-heckling-mlb-giants

The article, and much commentary, referred to the offender as "heckling", repeatedly telling the ump, "you suck." Of course many fans and commentators were outraged, and that the umpire was out of line and should get a thicker skin.
What was not mentioned in many news reports, was that the guy didn't stop at "you suck", but also indicated just what he should suck, along with other profanities. One announcer actually disagreed with the action since the "heckler" paid for a ticket to see a game.
What about the children, families, and other decent people nearby this guy that also paid for a ticket to see the game?
The short sighted stupidity of these fans and announcers just makes me wanna scream sometimes....

Some folks get so old that they can't remember their youth; others just like to complain about anything and everything.

When I was a kid virtually every restaurant had a jukebox. Play one 45 for a dime or three songs for a quarter. You listened to whatever music the person with the dime played.

In addition to the jukebox, some had a pinball machine or two and you listened to that too.

Next, these restaurants put individual jukeboxes on EACH table and booth. Now you listened to the combined music all of the individual jukeboxes and the pinball machine.

My parents owned such a restaurant. If you had told my mother to shut off any of these devices she would have told you the A & W drive-in could use your business. My father would have just told you to go to hell and wouldn't have served you a second cup of coffee.

Perhaps I have inherited my rudeness from my family... or simply refined it over my own life experiences. Quite possibly, though, I simply remember how people used to enjoy life back in my youth.

And today we complain because someone is texting at the next table.

In other words, because you were raised in that environment, which I rarely went into (we weren't all in that environment back then), it's OK for people who weren't to be hassled with garbage that doesn't belong. Odd logic. Hmmm...

Larry,  In the instances you cite, the customer has the right to vote with their feet and patronize the restaurant with the Juke boxes or not, in my instance, that was NOT the issue, it was the customers choosing how to inflict their use of their device on others without their permission and it is not restricted to just restaurants (as shown by the many posts added to this thread) it is everywhere and it is rude of the device owners to do so.

My question still stands "Where are good manners now?  They seem to be woefully lacking most everywhere...

My guess by your signature would suggest you are most likely a gun owner or at least support the right of a person to own a gun.  Does the mere "owning" of a gun bestow on the gun owner the "RIGHT" to inflict its use on others or does courtesy and good manners preclude that from happening? 

The electronic device and the gun are both tools.  They both demand the same manners and courtesy be accorded their use regarding other persons would you not agree?

Sorry folks, there's just one way this discussion can go from here, so I'm shutting it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom