Stupid People!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin

Well it finally happened  :mad:  While returning from vacation driving on I40 thru little rock I finally had a accident. Some how Some one lost a RV fridge out on the road(how Ironic) brand new in the box. with cars on both sides of me, behind me i had 2 choices. Hit the box, not knowing if it was empty, or hit a car. I chose the box and found out it was full :'( :'( :'(

however as bad as it was, it could have been worse, i did manage to move the person on my right over a bit to the shoulder and hit it on the driverside  corner. tearing the gen exhaust back under the front axle, and bashing the front 3  compartment doors. got a scratch on the wheel, and a huge blimish on the tire.

we took the next exit, inspected the damage, drove it up on some blocks and pulled the exhaust back in place, and babied it home.

just glad that it wasn't a car full of kids that hit it first, could have been so much worse for us, and others. ;)

Curious if the refer box fell out of a vehicle in front of you, or was sitting the roadway as you came upon it.

RV fridge in the roadway... who would have guessed!?!  Whoever dropped it might be disappointed to find it in shambles, after THEY come back to look for their missing load!  It's good that everyone else turned out okay and your damage sounds mostly cosmetic.

Babying it home is a good idea, BUT many insurance companies prefer you stay on site of a crash and get a police report to support your insurance claim.  Maybe you already did that since you mentioned another car being struck. 

Have you contacted insurance yet?  Just curious about how that goes.

Yep, calling the police would be my second move after ensuring all that were involved were not hurt.

many police departments will not even do an accident report,  if there are no injuries.

That's odd. an RV refrigerator how ironic I would say it fell out of the back of someones pickup truck.... I drive 40 to 60 thousand miles a year at work and over the years I have run over many things from pallets 2 furniture....trust me it safer to just run over the idem then to pull a high speed lane change whisk towing.  You will spin out and crash. I've also gained two ladders bicycle and a weed whacker over the years now I'm hopeing somebody loses their inverter generator because I can't afford one at this time

robertusa123 said:
That's odd. an RV refrigerator typically removed from the inside of the RV and the service covers aren't even big enough for it to come out I would say it fell out of the back of someones pickup truck....

OP says it was in a BOX.... ;)

kevin said:
Some how Some one lost a RV fridge out on the road(how Ironic) brand new in the box.

We find cool stuff on the road all the time.

Not too long ago traffic was slowing down due to an entire truckload of insulation on the highway. We covered half our attic with the stuff  :D

It was already laying in the road, it didn't fall out in front of me.

it was laying on it's side with the top open, DW was the one who pointed out what it was,  i was too busy trying to find a way out of the lane.

we did call first the state police, then insurance, the insurance said no report needed, head home if you can.

when the police showed up they said that there was a crew trying to find all the pieces of it.

we alway's try to leave space between us and the guy ahead of us, problem is, people fill that space as soon as they can.

said part is we were going to clean the MH up and put it for sale, so now we gotta fix it first, then the later.  ::)

Shoot. Just installed a new fridge. That coulda been handy  ;)

How would you like to be the one that lost it, and having to get home and explain to your wife how you wrote the check, but came home with an empty truck?

Good time to tell a true story.. When I was a working stiff we had access to over 150 Cameras, most on 40 foot poles alongside the freeway (Some higher).. We started getting phone calls "Stove in the road, S/B I-75 North of Caniff"

Well we have a camera at Caniff (nothing there) and at Davison (About a mile north) Still nothing, and at McNichols (Around 3/4 Mile north of Davison) SUCCESS.. it was North of McNichols (6 Mile Road).

Gas range,,, 2nd lane (Cameras are good enough to tell gas from Electric)

I suggested we not close up but pull back so we can watch approaching traffic

As you may know it is recommended that you follow the vehicle in front of you such that it takes you 3 seconds to get to where he was 3 seconds ago.. If he, for exmaple, passes under the shadow of a bridge and you start counting "One thousand on" and you are already under the shadow.. YOU ARE TAILGATING (you need to get to one thousand 3, or 4 or more if the roads are wet or slippery)

Most folks in Detroit are under 1 second behind the car in front

We would watch cars approach in groups of two or 3.. The first would change lanes at the last second of course, and the next would .. Change underwear.

Now, least you think we are just watching,  Soon as we found it Troopers were updated (They had already been dispatched.. by me) and county roads was called to get it outta there.

Finally a group of 4 came down, 3 cars and a pick up came down the road.. all about 1 second apart

The first, like always, waited till the last second to change lanes.
The second, of course did some serious "Avoidence" driving since he was seriously surprised
Near as we could tell #3 kissed bumpers with #2 (Though no report was ever filed)

The Guy in the pick up, He did not stop, He did now swerve, He did not slow down, HE place kicked that stove a good quarter mile and onto the shoulder..

Called off the troops, Called the county back to update location and re-schedule for daytime pickup

County: Did the tropers get there and move it (No not yet)
Oh, did some kind citizen stop and move it (No he did not stop. but he did move it)

what made me laugh about this was something that happened 6 or 7 months earlier. I have a friend that had a 5w. and the fridge went out on it. he lived in it on the work job site in west Texas. When he came back home to NW Arkansas he found a great deal on a new one and bought it.  On the way back out to west Texas it blew out of the back of his truck on the turner turnpike in Okla. it was around 3am. so he stopped, backed up and picked it up. Got to the 5w. and installed it, had some scratches on it but otherwise ok :)  so i can see how it could happen, just would've been nice if someone would have stopped and picked this one up. :-\

A dash cam would be a good thing to have in an instance like this.  The whole thing is recorded for insurance or police reports.

As we were heading to the Yellowstone rally in May we hit some road debris. Too late to avoid it safely, and we were always taught "Don't veer; hit the deer" which applies even with inanimate objects. Pulled over when we could, checked the tires and the undercarriage; everything looked fine. At the end of the rally, DH tried to dump and found out there was a small leak. In fact, the entire set of pipes coming out of the undercarriage had been pushed off to the back by about 18"! He pulled it back in place, and we decided we could wait until we got to another place to dump (didn't want to mess up the site at Grizzly). Turns out the repair required quite a bit of work that included dropping the covering under the trailer, and we let the dealer do it.

Fallen objects are sometimes not seen at all.  A few years ago, on I-95 in Florida, I was driving in one of the left lanes and noticed more and more vehicles pulled off the right lane to the side with flat tires.  Turns out that someone spilled an open case of roofing nails along the way.  Stupid/Careless people!

TravlinOn said:
Fallen objects are sometimes not seen at all.  A few years ago, on I-95 in Florida, I was driving in one of the left lanes and noticed more and more vehicles pulled off the right lane to the side with flat tires.  Turns out that someone spilled an open case of roofing nails along the way.  Stupid/Careless people!

your vote for the number one  "object struck"  on the road..

is it...

mattress
ladders
coolers
or the thousands of tire treads (aka...road alligators)

How about a truckload of cabbages on the road where I 10 west leaves I 95 in Jacksonville area? Instant ColeSlaw!

Someday I want to be behind one of those Brinks or whatever money trucks when they forget to shut the back doors.  Snap-On Tools or whatever?  Beer?  ;D

Back
Top Bottom