Their are draw backs to camping in the national forest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertusa123

In my case is poorly maintained dirt roads.  The paddle I drove thure was more like a pond with a nice hidden bolder.  But could have been worse. I it could have hit the drain assembly

Attachments

• 00M0M_kcBBsNxQTP9_300x300.jpg
    00M0M_kcBBsNxQTP9_300x300.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 238
Not in my area.      The national forest road here are technically state roads. Or county roads.  About the only road maintenance by the park system is the blue ridge parkway....... on Holliday weekend when the ranger makes their  rounds  they are usaily teamed up with a local sheriff officer.    As it is the local forest ranger and state wildlife rangers don't like me because I started a local trend to refer to them as metter maids. Because they  only seem to be interested in writing citations

I folded up a stab jack at a Georgia state park several months ago.  I was pulling into a campsite and the right side tires dropped into a shallow drainage ditch.  Folded that stab jack 90 degrees.  Fortunately, it only cost me about $40 for a new one at the local camping store.  Tearing the drain valves off would have been a much bigger problem.

Rene T said:
If it's that bad, don't go there. Find some other place to camp.
But it's free
Just wandering if it would kill then to fill a pothole every know and then.  I'm convinced they do this to force you into the pay area's which would it be so bad if they had space and hookups. Which they don't

I live inside the Ocala National Forest, so see some of the road conditions you mention. We have everything from a major state highway to paved and numbered "Forest Roads" and to totally unimproved forest roads that are just emergency access for fire fighting. Some also provide access to "unimproved camping areas", and those can be pretty rough.  But realistically, isn't that what "unimproved" means? Sure the fee areas get at least a bit more maintenance, but that is what the fees help to provide.  There is no free lunch - somebody has to pay for road maintenance, either fees or tax dollars.

It's pretty hard to tell how bad a road/trail is without actually going over it. I've been in some pretty bad situations over the years, but the one thing I have always done is scout the area first. I know that to some that may seem unreasonable to do, but it has saved my keister numerous times. 

we have had an enormous amount of rain this fall and spring in the mid alantic this year.  It has taken a toll on the back road system

If the road number sign is vertical:
The road is not designed for passenger vehicles.

If the sign is horizontal
It is designed to be passable by passenger vehicles.
If the road sign is the rounded trapezoid design it is a main arterial and should be drivable by all vehicles.

Of course, after a rough winter or some other road event there could be stretches the maintenance crews have not fixed yet.

Hi Dave,

dave54 said:
If the road number sign is vertical:
The road is not designed for passenger vehicles.

If the sign is horizontal
It is designed to be passable by passenger vehicles.

This is GREAT info, many thanks for letting us know!

If the road sign is the rounded trapezoid design it is a main arterial and should be drivable by all vehicles.

Humrmrmrmr.... I'm not sure about what you mean with this last phrase. Wouldn't a passenger vehicle (which I understand would be 2WD, low clearance) be the one to require the best possible roads? What other kinds of vehicle would be able to drive a rounded trapezoid-signaled road, that would not be able to drive a horizontally-numbered one?

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom