rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Can I tow a 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback Manual transmission behind my 37' RV?  (Read 1344 times)


  • ---
  • Posts: 6
Hi there.

Because I can't drive right now, I may have to look at towing my 2014 Ford Focus SE hatchback with manual transmission behind my 37' Class A when I shove off for Vancouver.

Firstly, is it doable?  Would this car be towable?

If it is, what would I need to purchase and install both onto the RV and to the car to be able to tow it?
There is a trailer hitch receiver on the back of the RV. Not sure what size it is, but it's there.

Thanking y'all in advance for the help. Cheers.


  • ---
  • Posts: 6
Wondering if it might be cheaper to fly a family member out from Vancouver to Calgary and have him or her drive it back for me.

Shipping it via auto transport is not an option I'm willing to consider at this time. Looking at over a thousand bucks to do that.


  • ---
  • Posts: 380
Can you fly in help for around 1k?

If you can that maybe the way to go, after you figure in the cost of gas and whatever expense would be connected to the driver the Focus.

If you think, after re-locating you still may want to tow the Focus then you need to re-calculate.

You'll have $1500.00 for a new tow dolly, less for a used unit. The car itself won't  much if using a dolly.

And you'll probably as much into a tow bar and base plate, if you decide to tow flat four.

1st thing you need to check is whether or not the Focus can be towed flat by checking your owners manual.
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G
15 Jeep Wrangler Orange toad
'86 Suzuki Samurai Camo dirt toad


  • ---
  • Posts: 306
  • Stick and Brick in Woodbury,MN
    • Blog and Adventures and more!

1st thing you need to check is whether or not the Focus can be towed flat by checking your owners manual.


Find your car in one of these guides and read all about 4 wheels down towing (Dinghy towing)

Klaas (Retired 9/1/2016) & Eileen (+dog Bailey)
"Qua Patet Orbis" - Dutch Marines (1968-1975)
Website: http://dutcheagle.com
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD
Toad: 2011 Buick LaCrosse (Roadmaster Sterling towbar)


  • ---
  • Posts: 6
Apparently it can be flat-towed.

Looks like my least expensive option would be to fly a family member in to have them drive it back for me. Assuming I can find one who is available to do that. Somewhere between $120 and $200 for the flight, about $200 for fuel, and thirty bucks for food / munchies. 

If we decide to do it over two days, the Beast sleeps six, or we will find a nearby hotel/motel for him/her.

I'm assuming that the majority of y'all are American and aren't familiar with this part of Western Canada. With this in mind, I'll disclose that it's about 700 miles of mostly mountains between Calgary and Vancouver.  And a spectacular drive it is!  I've done the drive in the summer, in my car, in about ten to twelve hours.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:44:00 PM by cheapmom »


  • Forum Staff
  • ---
  • *
  • Posts: 7093
  • Life is better on the road!
Too bad there isn't a "U-haul" type service that could rent a car hauler for the back of your rig. Your RV probably would accept a trailer ball pretty easily.  You could load the car, hook it up to the RV and wouldn't need another driver. It sounds like you are going from the State to Canada, so I  am not familiar if any businesses would rent something across country borders.
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!


  • ---
  • Posts: 1313
You're looking at around $3000 to have a baseplate and wiring installed, buy a tow bar and rock deflector, and brake system. If you have other, cheaper options for a one-time trip...do it.
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, P32 chassis, Workhorse.


  • ---
  • Posts: 4950
  • Western KY for now.
Check truck / trailer rental companies to see if you can rent a tow dolly.  We had a car die on us in FL.  We rented a box truck and dolly to bring it home.  In the states, U Haul, Budget and Ryder all rent tow dollies.  Buying a draw bar and ball would be inexpensive.  Should be all you need.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.