Winegard Rayzar:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesertMax

Hi Guys, anyone have one of these?    http://www.winegard.com/rayzarauto?gclid=CMWlt8qU5M0CFVFcfgod-vILkQ

What power do they require?  Do I have to be on shore power to use it since it will probably be wired through the house system?
I want to be able to use it while boondocking.  I am building up my system and currently have one AGM 90AH batt supported by
150W of solar panels.  I would gladly build up my system to support the use of the Rayzar..  Any feedback appreciated :::

Dutch, appreciate the response but not as technical as perhaps you are and still in the dark as to main question..
I have this user guide and unless I have overlooked it, did not find anything indicating what power is needed and boondocking
which is my main quandary???

As Gary said, it runs on 12 volts and only draws about a half amp max when in operation. No shorepower needed. It's an expensive downgrade from a batwing/Wingaman combo in my opnion, but it should work well if the local stations are relatively close.

That's great thanks...  and I had put in a note in on the Winegard site and they just got back to me
with the same results..  I love my TV and this looks like a fun investment..
Just noticed the Winegard site says "no tv subscription needed."  Does
this mean that I would no longer need DTV or is it just for local channels..?

I like the DTV package I have and use NetFlix.  I realize that involves an Internet
Data Plan and will be switching to a good plan next week when I launch...

Just got another response from the Winegard tech.  Says Rayzar is only for local channels and "will not work with DTV!"
Why would anyone pay 500 coconuts for only local channels?  I don't get it....

DesertMax said:
Just got another response from the Winegard tech.  Says Rayzar is only for local channels and "will not work with DTV!"

Because that's what they charge for it, and some like the automatic feature well enough to pay it. Of course it's for local channels only. The Rayzar Automatic is a self aiming conventional TV antenna, not a satellite dish.

Ok thanks for confirming that Dutch....  It appears that the old Movin' View that came with my rig has expired and tech says no more parts
for it so I'm in the market for something that will auto lock and work with DTV...

Excellent thank you...  I'm not really concerned with HD for now, just DTV and I'm a happy camper..

LOL! Others might ask why you would pay a $50-$80 monthly fee for DTV when you can have OTA broadcasts for free? Different strokes for different folks.

Also depends on where you go camping. Some areas have excellent local broadcast channels available, including all the major networks; others not.

Ah, did not know that Gary..  I pay 37 bucks a month for all I need from DTV..  Don't need a lot of news and sports channels
but I do enjoy the package and it is surprisingly cheap considering that in today's world, when you turn on an unconnected tv
all you get is snow...

Wait a second I didn't notice your mention of OTA...  What IS this???  http://otabroadcasting.com/  Over The Air...  I remember that..!
Got to check it out...  The sun is so bright in my eyes now that I've come out from under my rock!

So now the Rayzar begins to look a little different..  I see what you mean after checking out the OTA site..  So at the end of the day as
the saying goes, you might very well have more programing and this would also open up the element of surprise..  A lot like Boondocking itself??!!!

Over the air, you'll get the major networks plus whatever sub-channels the station has filled with alternate programming or leased out for other programming. What you won't find, is the same variety of channels you can get from DTV or Dish. No sports channels, no major news channels, no History, Discovery, Lifetime, Science, etc.

Hey Dutch..  weeeeeell I think I would really miss my science stuff etc..  Seems now like a lot better deal though as Gary mentioned..
One time hit for the dome and free for the duration IS very attractive isn't it..  More research is required..
I'll be back out there next week and have to prioritize but will be stopping by the RV stores to see what they have to say..
Just found out my fridge is not lighting so that moves to the top of the NEW list...  Always something..

I wasn't trying to talk you out of your favorite DTV channels - just pointing out that "local channels" is not necessarily a poor thing. Most any metro area will have a good selection of stations, including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and PBS. The drawback is that the choice varies as you move around, whereas Direct or Dish can deliver  all the networks, plus some extras, most anywhere you go (as long as you stay out from under trees!).

Of course, once you move away from a metro area, or if a mountain intervenes, The "OTA" locals may provide only a limited selection, or even none at all.

No worries Gary I appreciate your expertise and now have a good understanding of the choices..
I do love the idea of no payments..  When I began boondocking I was told that the first rule
of full timing was debt free (and as few payments as can be) so the Rayzar moves to the top of
the list in that train of thought...  I wonder how many folks use the OTA type antenna's...?
I'd love to get some feedback from the "hands on" crowd...

Attachments

• domicile.jpg
    domicile.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 4
We have both OTA (you don't have to have the fancy Rayzar Auto) and a satellite dome. Neither work in our forested mountain location, so we have cable right now (park provided and quite good). We dropped our Direct TV subscription two years ago and use OTA broadcast tv when traveling now. Sometimes fine, and sometimes not so much.

Most all trailers and motorhomes come with a crank-up, fixed, or motorized OTA antenna as standard equipment. How many use it instead of buying satellite probably depends on the area and who you ask. You can add a basic directional OTA antenna for around $110-$125 (DIY - Pro installation extra)

All we use is OTA. Both in the travel trailer and the S&B. If I get the local news, I'm happy. The rest I couldn't give a rat's butt about, especially in the camper. I'm out camping, not sitting around watching sports and a bunch of other junk. Cable and satellite aren't worth the money for us. If they brought back $8.95 basic cable, maybe I would get it. But I also don't get using a 40"+ television when the screen is less than 10' away from my face. If we were full timing, maybe it would be different, but I doubt it. As long as I can get alerts for bad weather, I'm good to go.

Back
Top Bottom