Winnebago and warranty issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sanibelview

Winnebago and warranty issues
Haven't had an rv since late '90s and now have a new View so just now getting back into the rving world. Had leak issues with the bathroom skylight. I'm pretty do it yourself kind of guy, so dug in and figured out what the cause was. Seals around skylight were missing some critical coverage and started testing the integrity of the adhesion. Was able to pull loose a lot of the back cap sealer with little effort. Made contact with Owner relations at Winnebago. They insisted I take it to an authorized dealer. Told them I wouldn't trust any of their dealers for the repair in my area because of previous dealings. Had the loose sealing removed and replaced at RVTech. They went over the whole roof, inspected all possible areas and removed all the sealing on back cap and doubled up the screw attachment as some were stripped, then resealed all questionable areas. Something I would hope any repair facility who cares about their work would do. Forwarded $600 invoice to Winnebago OR. Said it was way more than they would authorize for the repair. Asked them to authorize what they felt was fair and we could move on. Still waiting. Also they would not supply RVTech with the wall panel that had blistered (another thread on here) from the leak even if it was paid for. Found a guy one day at Camping World that looked friendly and asked about warranty work for Winnebago. He said that they get pretty beat up $ wise on warranty work so to break even they put the new inexperienced guys on that job as training and do as little as possible to get it out the door. So now I understand, all parties are out for the bottom line with very little concern for customer satisfaction. Sad, but acknowledge thats the way most thing go now.  So I guess for piece of mind, find someone your comfortable with to repair, bite the bullet and pay, and move on with the confidence your home is repaired to your satisfaction. Will be replacing the wall panel in a future project and will post an update. Any feedback and recommendations for wall panel are welcomed. 

I have not heard good things about Camping World on this forum and several other sources, so I wouldn't generalize that all dealerships do this. We have a new coach also and I worry about what any warranty repair will be like, if it happens (fingers crossed). Then again, I am a worrier in general.

I am also a rule follower, sometimes to a fault, so I would have taken Winnebago's advice and taken it to an authorized dealer to have the work done with no out of pocket expense and then taken it to a place to have it checked out. If they found something wrong, I would have relayed that information to Winnebago, possibly with a light threat of legal action. I would imagine that Winnebago would have, at least, contacted the dealership that did the shoddy work and spoke to them. Who knows where it would have gone from there.

I think everything these days is up to us to be vigilant about. I see people who just don't care just trying to get by all the time.

BTW, do you camp in Sanibel Island, FL? I thought I would ask, since it was in your handle.

I live here full time. There is a good camp ground here. Already had a learning experience at CW is why I refused to take it there.

Winnebago pays dealers their particular labor rate for warranty work, they do not try to short payments or take advantage of them, if you think about it, that would be self-defeating.

John, totally agree it would be self defeating. Thats whats had me so confused with this whole situation. I'm sure I haven't won any favors by refusing to use their authorized dealer that screwed me big time and would't admit they made the mistake. Winnebago said they would not authorize the repair that I felt needed to be made to make my roof waterproof, which I don't think is unreasonable to expect out of a new unit. Sorry, guess I'm just venting now. I've just acceped that I shouldn't expect any help if I don't play by their rules. Just hope the info helps others.

I can only speak about what I have observed first hand on warranty work. RV Connections in Panama City Fl. has 1 and 1/2* persons devoted to working with manufacturing, insurance, and after market service companies. In some cases it may take several phone calls, E-mails and photos to have a problem resolved.  Usually the paying company comes around to the repair cost but nothing says it is easy.

Once the approval is obtained then the parts will be ordered. When the parts arrive the Tech assigned will complete the repair. Normally 1 to 3 days.

Now consider having the rear cap for a 4 year old motor home made. These things are not on the shelf for replacement but must be made to order. (6 weeks?) Then crating and shipping by truck, very expensive and at least a week in transit. Instillation and paint, another week. OOPS forgot the inside wall panels.... exact match from the manuf and another freight truck. Get the idea?

Being a lurker around a RV dealership can be very enlightening.

* 1/2 person has other duties aside from warranty confirmation/approval

Sanibelview said:
I live here full time. There is a good camp ground here. Already had a learning experience at CW is why I refused to take it there.

I have researched campground at Sanibel and found one with great reviews on Allstays. I went there once a long time ago and loved it. We stayed in a hotel, but I think camping near the beach would be great.

John Hilley--- great articles, such a shame, like I said, haven't had an RV since the 90's. Just hoping I can keep my new View rolling down the road, after all when your retired you have to have something to keep you busy. Just wanted to spend more time enjoying the ride more than time spent with repairs and their authorized dealers who don't give a sh-t.

Moebius--- Sanibels park is still a hike to the beach. The Keys have several good parks on the beach.

Sanibelview said:
Moebius--- Sanibels park is still a hike to the beach. The Keys have several good parks on the beach.

Yeah, saw that the Sanibel park would be a walk. Some reviews say it's just a 1/2 mile, which is doable for us. The keys look nice, we will get down there at some point.

OK, I've been reading all the RV industry is going down the tubes, quality sucks, etc articles and agree to a point. I bought my brand new Winnebago View ( basicly cheap end of the RV market ) because it wasn't the normal plastic covered wood cabinets that smells like formaldehyde for the first year and overly decorated to look better than it is. The View is new looking, interior quality is better than good, all the mechanicals are impressive and all seems to work pretty well together. I feel this is a step in the right direction for them, they just need to catch up with the automobile industry in trying to service and warranty their units. Rant over, I still love my RV even with all its frustrations.

Sanibelview
My wife and I bought our first ever RV a 2016 View in April of 2016. We choose Winnebago because of all the positive comments on quality. Come to find out that not all is well in Winnebago land. We had multiple issue with the awning, propane control panel, and both twin beds. So much so we contacted the CEO of Winnebago and complained.

We returned it to CWNW in Portland Oregon and was advised they fixed the beds and awning. Come to fin d out the service at CWNW is not so reliable. In fact I call them untruthful although my wife would disagree. I have come to understand if you want it fixed correctly do it yourself. I will be finding another facility who is certified with Winnebago to do any other repairs. Also I will be purchasing an extended warranty through Wholesale Warranties because of all these repair issues.
Knowing what I do now maybe Winnebago might not have been my finial choice.     

Welcome!

I don't know how much you have been around RV forums but having various issues to sort out with a new RV is very common.  Also, Camping World has a dismal service reputation - they would be my very last choice for service and I would have to be desperate  to let one of their techs near my Horizon.

When our coach was new, I anticipated there were going to be problems and dealt with the little ones myself, and made a punch list of the others.  Just before our house warranty expired, I had factory service repair everything on the list.  My strategy worked quite well but even then for a couple of years there were some odds and ends to deal with.

Before you buy service insurance (aka 'extended warranty') do thorough research.  Some of the policies are inclusionary (they only cover what is specified in the contract) and some are exclusionary (they cover everything that's not specifically excluded.) Some problems you might have might be considered normal wear and tear and would not be covered.  The primary goal of these companies is to make money - they last thing they want to do is cut you a check.

Since this thread came back to life, thought I would give an update. I did receive a check for half of the $600 to reseal and make my roof waterproof as it should have been new. Was sent, free of charge a new wall panel. I needed 72 1/4" for the replacement, just made it. (Panel was a little beat up in shipping) Treated the mold under the wall covering and all seemed solid. Removed the toilet, had a couple cut and trial fits, coated both wall and panel with Super77, thanks John, reassembled and caulked edges and all is good. Wife didn't like the towel bar so replaced with the matching robe hooks. Just satisfied that I know how it was repaired.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 35
The before picture of wall thread

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,96953.0.html

Moebius said:
I have not heard good things about Camping World on this forum and several other sources, 

Allow me to be your first.  I have had several repairs and installations done at my local Camping World and would rate them A++.  I guess it depends on where you go but it also seems those happy with the service they get are not as vocal as the whiners.  JMHO.
Bill

I am surprised that Winnebago would offer you anything for your repairs.  Afterall, they do have a dealer network to do those kinds of things and the dealers depend on service and repairs as well as sales of the coaches that they represent.  I  would not expect to buy a new Chevy and then take it to the neighborhood mechanic for all my warranty work.  Sorry, but I think you have a tough road to hoe here and you drove down that road yourself.

Back
Top Bottom