Ford, Chevy, Dodge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henkelphoto

Hi Guys!

I'm looking for a new truck and was wondering if there were any huge differences in the three brands? I'm not interested in the turbo 6s, just looking at V8s. Reliability? Mileage? Major differences in price? I know that Dodge seems to have more discounts than other brands, but I'm hoping to buy a 2016 model that has sat languishing on the lot and heavily discounted. I'm looking more to the single cab than anything larger but am also looking at the "extra" cab models.

Thanks for any help!

When all is said and done, one is as good as the other. Just use due diligence that it will pull what you plan on hooking behind it.

Question #1  What do you want to use it for???

If you plan to tow an RV, there are HUGE  differences, based on what you plan to tow.  While there is little difference between Ford, Chevy, Ram, there are big differences between ? ton, ? ton and 1 ton trucks.

Note that "Dodge" no longer builds trucks.  Chrysler now calls them "RAM".

Best suggestion, drive all 3 and get the one your significant other likes best!

Pay attention to payload as well. Many times the Extra Cab models have the least payload, not to mention they often have crappy little seats. There can be close to 1000 pounds of payload difference within the same series of truck by cab and bed configuration and whether it has certain towing options.

A 3/4 ton is not much more than a 1/2 ton. Same for a 1 ton and re-sale is going to be much better/easier. Buy your second truck first. You will save a ton over buying twice.

We found huge price differences between the 3 but not much difference in the interior or exterior.  We did notice that the Chevy had a box underneath for the diesel so if you plan to do any off road watch out for this.  They told us it was ok and it would not be an issue but the one we looked at was already scored and it had only been on the lot.  We ended up buying a new Dodge RAM from Denis Dillon in Idaho as they were $000s cheaper for both Gas and Diesels.

That is a loaded question, you will get 3 different answers depending on what the responder likes.  Personally I am a Ford man.

keymastr said:
Pay attention to payload as well. Many times the Extra Cab models have the least payload, not to mention they often have crappy little seats. There can be close to 1000 pounds of payload difference within the same series of truck by cab and bed configuration and whether it has certain towing options.

A 3/4 ton is not much more than a 1/2 ton. Same for a 1 ton and re-sale is going to be much better/easier. Buy your second truck first. You will save a ton over buying twice.

I was unaware of Payload when I started looking at trucks and ended up with a Beautiful 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi built to tow the max.  It is a Big horn Crew Cab 4x4 and its pretty loaded.  I really LOVE the truck.  My PAYLOAD is 1249lbs I believe.  Which is CRAP!  It's funny, I test drove the new Chevy Colorado 4x4 and I was hoping to drive the diesel but they did not have it iin stock.  The payload on the Colorado was ~ 1850, I just shook my head.  But for me the Ram was a great fit and I got a great deal at the time.  And it tows my TT fine, but when I load bikes chairs and kayaks I am more than likely over my payload... :eek:

Unless it is a bare bones model in an ugly color which a dealer would unlikely stock.

RoyM said:
Unless it is a bare bones model in an ugly color which a dealer would unlikely stock.

I recently saw a new 2015 F350 Lariat White on a lot!!  Gasser with no options.  UNWANTED!

I know guys that would like it. ;D I am surprised a utility company wouldn't pick that up.

Back
Top Bottom