Trailering & Towing selector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markandpeg

Hello,
I could use some help understanding the 2011 Chevy Trailering & towing vehicle selector. We are considering a 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 LT. 6.0l, 4WD, 3.73, crew-cab, reg bed. for 5th wheel towing. My question is in this guide I do not see this truck listed, is there a different one I should be looking at for max trailer weight ratings? It only has the truck with the 4.10 gears. Any help would be appreciated.

I didn't find a 2011 table, but here is a 2012 table. I doubt there is much difference.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Help%20Center/Download%20a%20Brochure/02_PDFs/CHEVYSILV101_002236_SilveradoHD_eBrochure2.pdf

Found the 2011:

http://apps.vinmanager.com/dealerimages/Dealer%204023%20Media/2011%20SilveradoHD%20Brochure.pdf

So with this vehicle I'm looking at a max. trailer weight of 9400lbs. I'm thinking this is not the vehicle for us.

Thanks!

Often when you cannot find a 5th wheel rating in the guide for a particular configuration it is because 5th wheel towing is not recommended for that configuration. Sometimes it is a combination of things such as a short bed that could be remedied with a slider hitch and other times it is payload.

PLEASE take any values in the towing guide with a grain of salt.  It is for advertising and bragging rights ONLY!  The numbers are only accurate for a base model with no options, full fuel tank, and a 150# driver.  For 2015 and later, it also includes a 150# passenger. There is not even an allowance for the weight of a hitch!!  The FOOT NOTE gives away the dirty little secret.  The truck payload, which is used in the calculation, must be reduced pound for pound for all weight added to the truck, including all factory and aftermarket options, all additional passengers and all cargo carried in the truck.

If you plan to drive a base trim level truck with no options, no passengers and no cargo, then it may be close.

The best method is to find a truck, then a camper to fit, or find a camper, then a truck to tow it.

The normal critical factor is the truck payload.  Find this number on a yellow label on the driver door B pillar.  This is the most weight THAT truck was designed to carry, based on its weight as it left the factory.  It is specific to THAT truck.

You can add together the weight of all passengers, pets, cargo and hitch to be carried.  Add 20% of the GVWR of a 5th Wheel to this number.  The truck required to pull this camper MUST have a payload which EXCEEDS this total.

Alternately, add together the items above and subtract this from the truck Payload.  This is the maximum pin weight the truck can handle.  Multiply this number by  5  to get the max GVWR for the FW it can handle.

Back
Top Bottom