Early summer road trip with the Powells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrypowellnc

We just finished our early summer road trip of 22 days and 5600 miles.  After 2 overnights in Bremen GA and Vicksburg MS we visited friends in Sherman TX.  After 2 more overnights in Amarillo TX and Gallup NM we arrived in Las Vegas for a 4 day Family reunion.  After an overnight in Holbrook AZ we visited friends in Santa Fe NM.  Another 5 overnights in Amarillo TX, Tulsa OK, St. Louis MO, Joliet IL and Streetsboro OH we arrived in Kutztown PA for their annual Kutztown Folk Festival.  One more overnight in Mt. Jackson VA and we were home.  One of the goals of this trip, besides seeing family and friends, was to follow as much of Route 66 as practical.  We started the Route 66 journey in Kingman AZ and finished in Joliet IL.  Along the way we visited Seligman AZ, the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook AZ, Tucumcari NM and Blue Whale in Catoosa OK.  I know there are many other stops along Route 66 we could have made but the trip was long enough as it was. It was an exhausting trip but a wonderful experience.  We are now in the planning stage of our late summer road trip to SoCal for Disneyland, the San Diego Zoo and more friends and family along I-10.  Oh, I-40 is still one of the worse maintained interstates I've seen.  It's so bad that I am taking the southern route to SoCal (85,20 and 10) rather than drive on 40 again.  It adds a day to the trip but in the long run it's worth it.  Happy RVing everyone.

Is I-40 bad between Amarillo and Flagstaff?  Also, where did you overnight in Amarillo?

Robin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom