Class A drivers license?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lone_star_dsl said:
I'm glad to hear that states are coming around and requiring advanced licensing to drive larger RV's and tow larger trailers.  In my opinion, the rules need to be standardized on a federal level much like commercial drivers licenses are.

I'm sure other people here are wishing for a "Grandfathered-in" clause with these new licensing requirements..

DMV testing is eclipsed only by IRS audits and root canals as  'Worst time Ever' ....

TonyDtorch said:
I'm sure other people here are wishing for a "Grandfathered-in" clause with these new licensing requirements..

DMV testing is eclipsed only by IRS audits and route canals as  'Worst time Ever' ....

My last root canal was decidedly better than my last time at the DMV

Those of you who are not licensed in California should consider yourselves fortunate. If you think the process of getting licensed to drive/pull larger RVs in your states was difficult, you should count your blessings. It took more than nine months for me to get my Class B non-commercial license, which is required in California to drive a motorhome over 40 feet in length (weight has nothing to do with it.)

I had no issues with the DMV requirements for additional written and practical tests and air-brake training, and even though I have no problem passing them, I believe that the medical exams they require, which must be repeated every two years, are excessive (and not covered by my insurance.) The problems I had were all about dealing with the incompetent DMV employees in Sacramento - the office you MUST deal with. The overwhelming majority of them had no idea what the licensing requirements were for RVs, and repeatedly sent me the wrong licensing information, and issued me the wrong Class of license. It was truly an exercise in futility. (The veins in my forehead are throbbing)

Kev

Here it is on PennDOT's website. So in PA you definitely need a non-CDL class B. They even use the example of a 26,001+ pound motorhome.

http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Information/License-Types/Pages/default.aspx

Tishman said:
Here it is on PennDOT's website. So in PA you definitely need a non-CDL class B. They even use the example of a 26,001+ pound motorhome.

http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Information/License-Types/Pages/default.aspx

the Penn law is not the same as the CA laws,
in CA you need a noncom cdl if the motorhome is over 40 foot long or over 26k lbs.technically, brand new = untested in RV's... unless you want a factory QC service tech to take a cross country vacation in your brand new motorhome.  :)

so much for federal standards.

Rene T said:
Are they also requiring medical cards for a class A?

Since you're not getting a CDL there is no need for a medical card.

FWIW, even if you have a CDL, as I do, many states permit you to "self certify" that you aren't engaged in driving that requires having a current medical card.

I live in CA and have a CDL - A license with an expired med card....( $65.00 every 2 years to renew)
I'm pretty sure under Ca law that means I have a regular old normal class C license now,  not even a noncom CDL.

TonyDtorch said:
I live in CA and have a CDL - A license with an expired med card....( $65.00 every 2 years to renew)
I'm pretty sure under Ca law that means I have a regular old normal class C license now,  not even a noncom CDL.

That's exactly what it means Tony

It would be interesting to know if I'm drunk at Class-C .08% or Class-A .04%

a beer and a half for lunch could be a $10,000 mistake.

now that I'm retired...I think I'll give up my license before I give up a cold beer.

Here is a question... does the new noncom-CDL have a different BAC level than the class c ?

This topic is so "on target" for Steve and me! During a recent upgrade to our 2007 Class A, our mechanic casually asked if we both had our Class F drivers' licenses as required by SC DMV laws. Of course, we didn't, so it's been a big scramble to get our non-commercial CDL (Class F) license before heading out on our 4-month road trip. See, no one (meaning RV dealer) told us that to drive our coach and tow our truck legally we'd need this new license; we've been driving it everywhere since 2012. Now, I know some of you reading this will think, 'stupid, why wouldn't you know this already, and why should it be the dealer's responsibility to tell you?' IDK, maybe because it would be Th honorable hing to do? Fortunately both DH and I were capable of passing the written exam but struggled somewhat with passing basic skills test & road test with truck attached (don't ask, don't snicker!); finally, effective now we are "legal" in SC, and all other states to our knowledge. Our biggest incentive came from our CDL friend who shared horror stories about folks he knew who were stopped by highway patrol in NC who were NOT compliant with SC law and were given tickets. I don't know about any of you, but I don't want to get to the Canadian border (or anywhere else for that matter!) and be stopped from enjoying my trip because the Mounties know the rules for SC.

Steve & Linda said:
no one (meaning RV dealer) told us that to drive our coach and tow our truck legally we'd need this new license; we've been driving it everywhere since 2012.

We used to live in MD which has similar licensing requirements.  We had shopped at numerous RV dealers who NEVER volunteered the information that the State required a higher class of license to legally drive what we were looking at.  Furthermore, the State motor vehicles department are quite willing to register a vehicle to you without the slightest concern as to whether you can legally drive it.  Of course, they might be assuming that you will hire someone to drive it for you, but I still view them as just as negligent as the dealers.

I was at CHP one time for an VIN inspection, when a guy comes in with a big toy hauler 5er full of motorcycles that all need VIN inspections for DMV registration.

The CHP does all the inspections and takes a copy of his drivers license, then looks at his trailer and says... "you are unlicensed can't drive that trailer back out on to the street, if I saw you drive that in here I would also be writing you a ticket".

luckily,  I drove it down the block for him and switch cars.

I asked the same question the very first time we looked at RVs and the sales person said the same things that people have said here. We had a very good salesperson who is an avid RVer, so he was very knowledgable and answered all the questions we had accurately. I would suggest going to a dealership and talking to a salesperson. Explain that you are just doing research at this time and aren't buying yet and see how they react. Our salesperson was still very helpful and talked to us for a little bit, but we knew there were people there who were interested in buying, so we told him to point us in the right direction and he could be on his way. He still talked to us after that for a little while and excused himself since they were having a rare (every weekend) sales event. We knew we'd be coming back to talk to him when we were ready to buy.

When we did eventually buy our coach, the deanship offered a free driver's confidence course, which we took the morning we took delivery. It was really helpful to drive one with an instructor watching over us.

Best of luck with your search!

what i find amusing is when you go to the DMV and ask" do i need a special license" and they so....uhhhh let me call, then they tell you(20min later) no you are good. Then you call the State Police that do the CDL testing and they say well uhhh we aren't sure...it depends...."on what " you ask....well we aren't sure.

so after 7yrs. i have gotten multiply "I don't know", yes you do, but we don't know what license, and no from the stat of Arkansas. :eek:

I asked the same question the very first time we looked at RVs and the sales person said the same things that people have said here. We had a very good salesperson who is an avid RVer, so he was very knowledgable and answered all the questions we had accurately. I would suggest going to a dealership and talking to a salesperson.

Your experience was better than most - few RV sales people actually know much other than selling and are typically a poor source of info. However, I recall you bought at Lazydays, and they do make an honest and continuing effort to train their sales people in things like legal requirements, towing capacity, and so on. And more than a few of their sales people are actually RVers, something that is also a bit unusual.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Your experience was better than most - few RV sales people actually know much other than selling and are typically a poor source of info. However, I recall you bought at Lazydays, and they do make an honest and continuing effort to train their sales people in things like legal requirements, towing capacity, and so on. And more than a few of their sales people are actually RVers, something that is also a bit unusual.

I consider ourselves very lucky that we ended up with the sales person we did. I usually don't do this, but his name is Bob Wilson at Lazydays in Seffner, FL. He answered every question we threw at him...CORRECTLY. We had a LOT of questions, not ever having done ANY camping before. He has told us that we can call him anytime for anything and that makes me feel better. If he is still working at Lazydays when we eventually upgrade, he will be our man.

Moebius said:
I consider ourselves very lucky that we ended up with the sales person we did. I usually don't do this, but his name is Bob Wilson at Lazydays in Seffner, FL. He answered every question we threw at him...CORRECTLY. We had a LOT of questions, not ever having done ANY camping before. He has told us that we can call him anytime for anything and that makes me feel better. If he is still working at Lazydays when we eventually upgrade, he will be our man.

Well That is encouraging as we are going to lazy days in Tucson AZ tomorrow and will be asking our salesman for verification. L

I have my Class A but didn't need it in Florida. Many states can be very difficult, not Florida

Why Florida over other states?
- Very little red tape in Florida making it an easy transition.
- Driver?s license is good for 8 years plus it?s easy to renew online wherever you?re at.
- No annual vehicle inspections like Texas. This is big because you have to move your RV to the inspection station every year.
- In Florida you only need a Class E driver?s license for any size RV. In some states you?ll need a special non-commercial Class A or B driver?s license.
- Florida is highly regarded by a few RV Club?s for mail forwarding https://www.goodsammailservice.com/ ? Florida has far more resources for mail forwarding. 
- No astronomical fees for vehicle registration, Florida is very reasonable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom