EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Cell phone booster systems  (Read 5777 times)

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
Re: Cell phone booster systems
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
Maximum Signal gives you a choice of a magnetic mount or a trucker clamp mount with the Max-Amp RV. Both antennas have similar gain characteristics, and both have been FCC approved for use with the Max-Amp.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2016, 09:17:24 AM »
You do not need to drill into your roof to mount a magnetic antenna on a metal ground plane. Get a 12" x 12" piece of thin steel material (a cookie baking pan works well) and use Eternbond to tape all four sides down to the roof. Run wire down refrigerator vent....no holes and no,leaks
RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf 19RR
Whole bunch of motorcycles
www.rvbprecision.com

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2016, 12:06:17 PM »
You do not need to drill into your roof to mount a magnetic antenna on a metal ground plane. Get a 12" x 12" piece of thin steel material (a cookie baking pan works well) and use Eternbond to tape all four sides down to the roof. Run wire down refrigerator vent....no holes and no,leaks

Yep, that's pretty close to what I did. I used a 12" x 18" piece of 18 gauge scrap I had laying around, and stuck it to the roof with 3M double sided trim tape and Dicor lap sealant around the edges. I also have a mag antenna ground plane plate on top of the rear A/C shroud, but that one is just screwed in place with the edges sealed.
Dutch

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2016, 07:58:00 PM »
There is an article on my RV web site about my Cell Phone Booster install and the performance I saw.

http://rvbprecision.com/rv-projects
RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf 19RR
Whole bunch of motorcycles
www.rvbprecision.com

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2016, 08:28:28 PM »
There is an article on my RV web site about my Cell Phone Booster install and the performance I saw.

http://rvbprecision.com/rv-projects

Our first cell booster was a WeBoost Drive 4G-M that was loaned to me by a friend that had taken ill before he could install it. We used it successfully enough in many locations, but we found the 3-4 foot range of the inside "Hershey Bar" antenna very limiting for use with our multiple cell devices. When the Max Amp RV became available, I bought one and installed it in place of the 4G-M. On our first trip with it, we quickly noticed that we were getting reliable Verizon 3G and 4G signals in locations in the Adirondack mountains that had always been cell dead or unreliably weak for us, even with the 4G-M. We were also quite pleased to find that the Max Amp omni-directional inside antenna was providing us with good repeater signals throughout our motorhome, and even in the under awning area so we could use our cell devices while sitting outside. The Max Amp does cost a bit more, but we've not been sorry about spending the extra money for it.
Dutch

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 06:56:31 AM »
Our first cell booster was a WeBoost Drive 4G-M that was loaned to me by a friend that had taken ill before he could install it. We used it successfully enough in many locations, but we found the 3-4 foot range of the inside "Hershey Bar" antenna very limiting for use with our multiple cell devices. When the Max Amp RV became available, I bought one and installed it in place of the 4G-M. On our first trip with it, we quickly noticed that we were getting reliable Verizon 3G and 4G signals in locations in the Adirondack mountains that had always been cell dead or unreliably weak for us, even with the 4G-M. We were also quite pleased to find that the Max Amp omni-directional inside antenna was providing us with good repeater signals throughout our motorhome, and even in the under awning area so we could use our cell devices while sitting outside. The Max Amp does cost a bit more, but we've not been sorry about spending the extra money for it.

Dutch,
I received the MaxAmp mobile RV system about a week ago and testing it with my house and gotta say its been looking good.  I mounted my telescoping mast and y directly outside my house on a garden shed and routed the antenna cable into my basement.  My basement area has poor cell service where 4g/LTE signal is between range -117 to-121db.  I mounted the magnetic base interior antenna on the bottom of my heat supply duct about center in my mancave space. I have approx 24ft of horz separation of the antennas....(and 15ft vertically.)   I fired the maxamp booster and the signal went to a range -90 to -104 within a 6ft radius of the interior antenna...so i'm pretty happy with that. The data dl/ul speed improvement wasn't as great but that maybe impacted more with the phone I have as its a T-Mobile LG3 that I am running on the ATT network and not all the bands are available to me with this phone.  But there was an improvement in data flow...with no booster, I was getting .35/mbs download and with the booster I am getting 1/mbs upload.....of course when I go upstairs from basement I get 10/mbs with no booster.

I won't get to mounting the system to my RV until we get to arizona in March as its really to cold here now to do it.  I still need to figure our the cable routing but don't see a big problem.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 07:28:01 AM »
That's great to see, Bob! I'm sure you'll be equally pleased with the performance in your RV as well. Where we are right now, we have good Verizon and AT&T signals, but next month we'll be heading south and passing through some areas that have always been weak or non-existent cell wise for us without an amplifier. We fully expect the Max Amp will keep us connected, just as it did in some notoriously poor signal areas in NC and TN in September.

One thing I found out quickly when we tested T-Mobile service for a couple of months, was that band 12 coverage was mandatory for a good, or even any, 4G/LTE signal in some areas. Band 12 seems to be what T-M has used for much of their recent build out. We also found that our T-M service seemed to be subject more to tower congestion than either Verizon or AT&T, suggesting more limited backbone connections. All in all, we opted to drop T-M in favor of our Verizon and AT&T hotspot services.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 07:38:09 AM by NY_Dutch »
Dutch

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »
That's great to see, Bob! I'm sure you'll be equally pleased with the performance in your RV as well. Where we are right now, we have good Verizon and AT&T signals, but next month we'll be heading south and passing through some areas that have always been weak or non-existent cell wise for us without an amplifier. We fully expect the Max Amp will keep us connected, just as it did in some notoriously poor signal areas in NC and TN in September.

One thing I found out quickly when we tested T-Mobile service for a couple of months, was that band 12 coverage was mandatory for a good, or even any, 4G/LTE signal in some areas. Band 12 seems to be what T-M has used for much of their recent build out. We also found that our T-M service seemed to be subject more to tower congestion than either Verizon or AT&T, suggesting more limited backbone connections. All in all, we opted to drop T-M in favor of our Verizon and AT&T hotspot services.

We have ATT plan but ported our TMO phones over to ATT, I suspect both phone radios don't have ALL the ATT bands available at least on the data side....we will play it by ear once we hit the road in February

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2016, 07:10:18 PM »
We have ATT plan but ported our TMO phones over to ATT, I suspect both phone radios don't have ALL the ATT bands available at least on the data side....we will play it by ear once we hit the road in February

Ok, with ATT the 4G/LTE bands are 2,4,5, & 17, where TMO uses 2,4, & 12, so yep, I think it unlikely your TMO phones will cover all the ATT bands. As long as you get good service where you travel though, that's all that counts.
Dutch

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2016, 06:22:25 AM »
Ok, with ATT the 4G/LTE bands are 2,4,5, & 17, where TMO uses 2,4, & 12, so yep, I think it unlikely your TMO phones will cover all the ATT bands. As long as you get good service where you travel though, that's all that counts.

thats my opinion too at this time...I think sometime next year I'll get an ATT badge phone off of Swappa and retire my LG3 thats been awesome workhorse.  I have greater hopes with the wifi repeater system I should have this week where I can grab weak wifi,. especially xfinity hotspot ones.  I just wish I had another month of warm weather here to get everything on my RV....

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2016, 07:41:06 AM »

thats my opinion too at this time...I think sometime next year I'll get an ATT badge phone off of Swappa and retire my LG3 thats been awesome workhorse.  I have greater hopes with the wifi repeater system I should have this week where I can grab weak wifi,. especially xfinity hotspot ones.  I just wish I had another month of warm weather here to get everything on my RV....

We have a WiFi repeater on board, although we seldom use it. A repeater can help bring in a weak signal better, but it can't to anything about too little bandwidth to support all the usage in a given park. Peak usage times are often no better than dial-up speeds when too many people are trying to stream the latest episode of their favorite program or movie. Fortunately, we fare much better with our two unlimited data cell plans and Max Amp RV booster amp.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:44:25 AM by NY_Dutch »
Dutch

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2016, 08:40:57 PM »
There's an interesting comparison of the Maximum Signal Max Amp Mobile and the WeBoost Drive 4G-X cell boosters on the Stormtrack storm chasers forum. I think the following quote covers what is most important to most of us for reliable cell connectivity in adverse conditions:

"Well two things I need to add. Most importantly, I was able to get into a dead zone on Att. The Weboost got me a signal, but not LTE. The Max amp got me LTE. And 3 bars of it. Now I hate to reference bars, but there's no way to know the exact gain since you can't go less than "no signal" db."

stormtrack.org/community/threads/weboost-vs-max-mobile-maximum-signal-test
Dutch

cpaulsen

• ---
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2016, 06:33:15 AM »
I have had a Wilson Sleek for over 4 years and using my Verizon service and a Wilson Trucker omni-directional antenna mounted to an extendable pole on my rv ladder.......I have never had a problem getting a signal.
2008 Ford F250/CC/SB/V-10/Montana 3670RL

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2016, 08:58:44 AM »
I'm glad your Sleek is working well for you in the places you travel to. I haven't heard anything yet about how well the current Sleek is working under the new FCC requirements. For our usage, the one device at a time Sleek doesn't do what we want in a cell booster amp.
Dutch

Hosted by Over The Network