Vintage Baby needs Brain Transplant...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dark Angel

...not sure if I'm talking about me or my RV...

So I recently bought my first RV 3 weeks ago.  It's a 1974 Dodge Sportsman, and I'm just in love with it.  I bought it knowing that it was a fixer-upper, so basically I'm here to do some research and ask a ton of questions. 

There are two big projects that I want to undertake, but the first one is looking at rebuilding the overhead sleeper.  Bought it knowing that there was rot around the front window from the window leaking.  Long story short, it was more than just the window, which we realized after buying it. But after discussing things, we've decided that we'd like to remodel and customize it a little.  We have carpentry experience, but tackling the RV would be a first.

So...questions...basic replacement of overhead...thinking of replacing all the wood, top, sides and deck.  Windows are good, maybe replace them with double-paned?  Are considering adding a domed "moonroof" for stargazing, as well as a vent. Planning on placing the moonroof to one side, so it will be over our heads when we lay down. Plenty of room left for a vent on the other side. 

Was thinking of replacing all the old pink insulation, possibly with expanding foam insulation.  We were thinking of running tubes or something for wiring so that we still can access wiring and keep insulation from swallowing it up...any ideas?

Siding and roof..is it worth it to save the old siding and roof and reuse them?  Any sources for siding would be appreciated!

Cost?  Is there any way to figure out a ballpark figure on what something like this might run?

Any and all help, tips, tricks, links, advice and blank stares are appreciated!  Thanks so much in advance! 

I can give blank stares with the best of them.

I assume you are using aluminum siding, so just run a search on

rv aluminum siding supplier

As for the foam, there is one type that expands less. It is what you want because it is easier to control and less waste.

Are you going to put on a rubber roof or fiberglass? 

And I appreciate the blank stares and advice, thank you, lol!

What are the advantages/disadvantages of either roof?  Had no idea that there were options.  I downloaded a video from youtube that showed the overhead being replace with what looked like a cap-style roof that came down around the edges.

Old hands on this forum are probably getting tired of this, but here's a link to my experience with overhead bunk repair for your edification.  Hope you can get some usable information from it...and good luck.

You might consider using rigid foam insulation glued to the siding. Then use spray foam to fill in gaps around wires, studs etc.
It makes a very rigid wall. If you have money to burn get new siding but it's very $$$$. If the old siding is in good shape clean it up and reuse it. 

Molaker, thank you very much for the link!  I read your blog, and first of all, wow, what a story!  So sorry you both experienced that! 
I found your blog to be very helpful, thank you!  It was easy to read and comprehend and all the photos really helped too. Thank you for taking the time to put that all together for the rest of us.

tc tom, thank you as well for your tips on insulation and siding. The sides of our RV look good enough to reuse, but I'm doubtful about the roof.

I rebuilt part of my cabover bunk area. My biggest regret was just not taking out the front windows entirely. My windows don't leak, but after living in it nearly two years and sleeping up there every night it became obvious that we would have liked having more darkness (even though I have blackout curtains) but more importantly less heat coming through during the day. The same idea would apply to your moon roof idea for stargazing. Sounds real nice, romantic even, but what will be the plan for covering it up if you don't want the light and heat coming through? Can you build a slider like they have in cars to literally shut it closed? My 1984 rig is corrugated fiberglass and I could find no matching siding outside of buying a similar rig and taking it off of there, so I was very careful with pulling back the siding to fix the front framing. I did buy new flat siding, think it is some form of plastic/fiberglass mix maybe? from an rv dealer, got it by the foot (around $12 a ft.) and it was wider than my rig by a few inches. I replaced the whole front center above the cab and up to under the front windows of the cabover.  Used alot of adhesive and props to keep it in place while the glue dried, but it really made it look "new" again. This is the same material they use in newer rigs for siding so if you wanted to replace it all it is available and not overly expensive. I think using the foam spray would be messy I used it in hard to fill areas only, and using the foam board insulation would be easier. Someday, when we are parked somewhere where I can work on it, I will be removing those front windows......

Back
Top Bottom