Eternabond question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wegocampin

So, I have the side molding off the back two corners. After repairing extensive water damage there, i plan on using eternabond to prevent future damage. My question is; should i staple the aluminum siding back, clean, eternabond, butyl tape, aluminum seal. Or, staple the aluminum siding back, clean, butyl tape, aluminum seal then eternabond? i do plan on painting the aluminum in the future, so aesthetically under the seal is preferable, but I would rather have it work.  :D

I'm not a fan of butyl tape. It's part of the reason why RV's leak around the trim. I have always bedded the trim with a polymer caulk.

Your eternabond needs to be 4 - 6" wide to get a good seal (minimum of 2" on each side) Eternabond can be painted if primed properly.  There is no need to put butyl tape under it.  That will only weaken ghe adhesion of Eternabond.

I too would skip on the Butyl tape and use a Polyurethane, Elastomeric  Sealant caulk, One bead under the aluminum molding already painted (if all is white) and the amount that squeezes out can be smoothed with finger to seal the edges.

On my RV i found that moisture leaked thru the old butyl under the molding screw heads and edges and rotted a lot of them loose. So i had to make new holes and add more screws. and in this case it became easier to seal with Eternabond tape Wide, from the roof over the molding and to the siding.

Eternabond also makes a great caulk Eternacaulk. I have used this under the eternabond tape on any seams, screwheads, etc, and also along the tape edges on the roof just for super precaution to make sure the tape never lifted. Been two years now and not a budge or leak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom