3 or 4 feet make a diff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodwilliamson

Hello all:

New guy looking at Class C types.  No background in driving a RV...however after being in the education business for 40 years I drove mini school buses often.  My wife and I are retired, getting ready to dive in the RV waters.  Basic question...is a 26-27ish footer easier to drive, maneuver, than a 30 footer?  I'm wondering if there is negligible difference between the two.  Any in-sights would be greatly appreciated.

Rod

Not really different. The rear overhang is a bit longer, though.

If you are considering an RV in 30 ft range, you should really be looking at a Class A rather than a C. Many advantages, and the price is the same for similar equipment. Advantages include more exterior storage, greater carrying capacity (a 30-31 ft C is maxed out), superior view of the road, a more robust chassis and most floor plans will have more usable interior space.

When we bought our RV 15 years ago, the wife wanted a class C because she thought it would be easier to drive than an A.  After much looking we decided on the RV in my signature. She found that after the initial learning curve she was comfortable with the driving.  If we are on the freeway she will usually drive for a couple of hours right after lunch.  If you want anything in the 30' range, definitely go with a class A; more storage, more carrying capacity, and a better view. BTW--102,000 miles on the odometer, 1800 hours on the Onan 4k generator, on the 3rd set of tires, and 13 times across the USA.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like a class A would make more sense at 30' or more. We won't be ready to use one until spring 2017. Is there a "best" time to purchase?  Prices typically lower in fall or winter? 

rodwilliamson said:
Is there a "best" time to purchase? 

Yes, The best time to buy is in the spring of 2017, when somebody trades or sells their used RV they bought in the spring of 2015, that way you can buy for thousands less than new and after two years, maybe all the crap the factory sent out should be fixed by then.

You'll notice a big difference of an extra 3 or 4 feet when stuck inside during inclement weather.

Bill

Rod,

Welcome to the Forum!

Since you still have a few month to "launch", do lots of reading and research here and other sources.  The Library (tab above)  is a great resource.  You will learn answers to questions you do not even know to ask now!

Ask lots of questions along the way.

kdbgoat said:
Yes, The best time to buy is in the spring of 2017, when somebody trades or sells their used RV they bought in the spring of 2015, that way you can buy for thousands less than new and after two years, maybe all the crap the factory sent out should be fixed by then.

I've also heard the fall is the best time to buy when the season for many is over. I live in Florida where there is probably no best time to buy or sell.

I have found late fall to be the best time to buy if you live in the northern states. I went from a 30 ft class A to a 33.6 ft class A last year. The 33.6 ft  had a 3 ft longer wheel base, so it drove and rode better. But the turning radius was much greater, but not difficult to get used to though. Fuel mileage wasn't much different at all, but the 30 ft coach had much more pep even though the engine was rated 40 hp less. Both were GM chassis coachs.

Back
Top Bottom