Towing 37' 6700lb TT with a 2015 F150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaron k

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. Looks like there is a lot of good info here! My family is in search of a bunkhouse camper. We have a 2 and 4 year old and the bunkhouse layout seems to be the best for family camping. We came across the passport grand touring 3350BH  by keystone and my wife fell in love with it. The salesman says our 2015 f150 crew cab with a 5.0l will tow it just fine. The dry weight is roughly 6700lbs. And overall length is 37'7"! Is this too much trailer for our truck? Also does anyone have an opinion on keystone products.

Yes, without question it is far too much. Never go by dry weight, nobody camps with an empty trailer. You need to use gross vehicle weight because you will be filling up all those storage bins.

Gross weight on that trailer is 9400 pounds which gives you a tongue weight around 1200 pounds and it is 37.5 feet long. The length alone says too much but imagine getting hit with a 30 MPH sidewind when the trailer weighs 50% more than the truck. You will hat life if you buy that trailer.

You should be looking at 28' trailers weighing 5500 dry/7000 gross for half ton trucks.

No way no how would i pull that big a trailer with any 1/2 ton ford gm ram none of them at 37 ft that trailer is heavier than the truck in a breeze and your just asking for trouble. Look on the door b pillar between the drivers and passenger door for that lttle yellow decal that states cargo capacity then report back please

Way to much trailer for the truck, you may be able to pull it but can you stop it in an emergency?  I have had an occasion with my 34' TT and my F-350 dually that left me quivering in the knees when I finally got out of the truck.  Lost the trailer brakes going down a mountain pass.  It was only because I had a 1 ton with fresh brakes that we got down alive.  Never listen to salesman's assertions that it will work, "no problem", he wont be in the truck when a problem arises.

Are you absolutely sure you need that much trailer for 2 adults and two small children, you would be far better advised to get the smallest trailer that will do what you want and use it for a few years and then trade up.

I am sure there are many people on this forum that have fond memories of camping with Mom and Dad in pop ups or little 12' - 16' Winnebagos.  They survived and remember it fondly.  Your kids will too.

PLEASE, PLEASE listen to all the expert RV advice above!  Those two young children are much too precious to put in that danger!!!

The salesman wants to sell a camper, not tow the camper!!  If you listen to him, any camper on the lot can be safely towed by a Smart car or a Fiat!

Yep, I agree with the folks above. Even I wouldn't pull that trailer with a half-ton truck. Not only does it have a GVWR of almost 9500#, it's really long to be pulling with the soft suspension of a half-ton. That's a lot of sail back there. Get a smaller trailer, or a bigger truck.

We have a 26 ft jayco that weighs under 5000 dry wt and our sierra gmc 1500 pulls it great.  We do have the heavy duty towing package on it.  However, we would not attempt to pull anything bigger than what we have.  Better safe than sorry!

This is the door sticker for the truck

Attachments

• 20160711_111410_1468252312529_resized.jpg
    20160711_111410_1468252312529_resized.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 85
Thank you so much for all of your input! The salesman keeps saying that my truck will handle up to 11,000lb but I have a hard time believing that.

According to the owners manual the GCWR is 14,000lb
According to Ford's PDF on towing the max trailer weight is 9,000lb

Vehicle info:
2015 Ford F-150 Supercrew 145" wheel base
5.0L
4X4
Trailer tow package
Trailer sway control
Snow plow prep package
3.55 gear ratio

Now that you have my vehicle info, if there is any more input other than what has already been stated, please let me know.

Thanks again!

The Passport 2920BH has an overall length of 32' 10" and a loaded weight of 7,200lbs. Do you think that this trailer will also be pushing the limits?

Aaron k said:
The Passport 2920BH has an overall length of 32' 10" and a loaded weight of 7,200lbs. Do you think that this trailer will also be pushing the limits?

FWIW, I have a 2016 F150 Lariat w/max tow package. Payload sticker says 1652#s. Bought a 2710RL  Open Range Ultra Light with a dry weight of 5600#s and GVWR of 7400 #s - 32 ft. We've taken the trailer out 4 or 5 times and Id estimate we're around 7000# loaded. With WDH, our tongue weight is right around 950#s. Combine our family weight and we are near the truck's 1652#s capacity.

The truck pulls the 7K just fine and can handle the load braking just fine (integrated brake controller on truck). Payload is the limiter. Very little sway using the Equalizer hitch. For my truck's setup, Id say my TT limit is right around 7400 lbs and I dont think Id look at anything longer than 32 feet.

We are missing a very important piece of information.  On the driver door B pillar is a YELLOW label stating the max carrying capacity.  The label you show gives the GVWR, not the CCC.

How much does your family, as a group weigh?  How much "stuff (in pounds) will you carry in the truck and in the bed?  Add these two numbers, plus 80# for a WD hitch, plus 800# estimated tongue weight.  This MUST be less than CCC.  This looks at weights ONLY and still ignores the size of the sail you are towing or the fact the TT weighs more than the truck on a short wheelbase.

Even if the numbers work, you are well above the capacity of the truck!

Thats  the door sticker you need the b pillar sticker its got yellow on it its on the pillar between :) the doors drivers side says tire pressure and max cargo capacity

Here's the tire and loading info sticker

Attachments

• 2016-07-11 22.21.50.jpg
    2016-07-11 22.21.50.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 82
Sweet so now you know you have 1844 lbs payload which is high for a 1/2 ton but thats good for you. So now take the weight of all passengers - you, wife,kids, dog etc. Tale that off your 1844. Now anything in or on the box ie. Firewood bikes tonneau covers etc and subtract that. Now subtract 75 lbs for the weight dist hitch. What you have left is the MAX pin weight. I hope this helps you. Just for giggles a loaded 5000lbs dry trailer will weight approx 6500 lbs loaded plus/minus at 15% hitch weight thats 1000lbs hitch, so your 1844 - 1000 leaves 844 for you wife kids hitch gear etc etc
Cheers steve

I think I'm going with the 2920BH passport. I'm going to look into adding a leafspring in the rear for more capacity and stability.
Thanks again for all of the great info!

465lb combined family weight. (including me at 225lb, not sure if i'm supposed to include me in the CCC)?
100lb other cargo
80lb hitch
800lb estimated tongue weight

=1445lbs
That puts us 400lbs under the CCC.

Another question: What about fuel? This truck has a 36 gallon fuel tank so with a full tank, that's 216lbs of gas. Is the CCC considered with a full tank of gas or do you deduct gas from the max CCC also?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom