Towing 37' 6700lb TT with a 2015 F150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CCC assumes full tank of fuel, and nothing else.  Driver and all passengers weight, car seats, snacks, stuff in truck bed, etc all are included in CCC

THANKS FOR DOING YOUR HOMEWORK!!!

ENJOY GOD'S BEAUTIFUL WORLD!!!

I have a 2013 F150 extended cab with 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.73 rear end and Ford's Max towing pkg. I added Firestone airbags and LT tires. I pull a 36' 2015 MXT 303 toyhauler, 6400 dry weight (which is a manufacturer lie)loaded with a Honda Goldwing. I have gone more than 10,000 miles with no problems. I did add a ProPride WDH which claims no sway and the trailer does not sway at all even in 50 MPH crosswinds in Kansas.
It can be done safely with a properly outfitted F150

I would prefer the phrase "got away with it".  I think there are several differences between you and the OP.  Age.  You will probably drive a little slower and likely have much more experience towing a TT.  There are only two of you (in your picture).  You will not be distracted by kids.  You are less likely to push the limits, driving tired or too far in a day.

It may work well for you, but I would not recommend this setup to a young family.

Sounds like you made a decision, no matter what others have stated.  Good luck, you will need it.

Aaron k said:
The salesman says our 2015 f150 crew cab with a 5.0l will tow it just fine.

As soon as I read that in your first post, I knew the info would be inaccurate.  Remember their goal is to sell you something, not to make sure you can do it safely or legally.  ::)  That might seem like an unfair statement, but we read about SO many of these similar "promises" from dealerships that it gets a little ridiculous.

Aside from the weight is the length of the trailer.  Most 1500 or 150 (1/2 ton trucks) are not as equipped to deal with towing large box trailers.  They might do fine with a 9000# flatbed load or boat (that's at least a little more aerodynamic), but RV trailers are like giant sails that pick up a lot of wind from weather and passing traffic.  The longer the trailer, the more that thing is going to potentially walk your truck all over the roadway.  We often call it "the tail wagging the dog" around here.  2500 or 250 (3/4 trucks) or bigger can not only tow more, but also have heavier duty transmission, engine cooling, brakes, and suspension that all contribute to a more manageable towing experience.

Unless you are determined to buy from that dealership RIGHT now, consider shopping for a gently used unit from a private seller.  Depending on where you live, there may be dozens of them on Craigslist that can save you a ton of money over a dealership purchase.  They key is researching as much as possible in advance, so you know what to look for when checking out used RV's.  Our forum Library (link button near the top of the page) has a lot of helpful articles.

Thanks again for all the input!
We have looked for 2 months at new and used models. The problem that we found with the used models is the ones that fit our needs were heavily used. I don't know if it's our area or what but when it comes to RV's, boats, pontoons, etc., people in our area (Michigan) beat the hell out of there toys then leave them out in their yard to rot! The few that we did find that were taken care of were only a few thousand dollars less than buying a new one with a warranty. I figure the warranty is probably worth that. I might be a little OCD with maintenance and care but when I purchase something like this it's usually in better shape when I sell it several years down the road.
I looked at one TT that was 5 years old that was listed in "excellent condition". It had a broken step, a hole in the fiberglass side and there was so much rotten leaves on the roof that there 10" tall maple trees growing out of it!! :(
We did end up purchasing the Passport 2920BH and the F150 tows it very well. You definitely know it's back there but I keep it at 60-65mph and I don't get any sway out of the trailer. We'll just have to take our time and be careful. I do plan on upgrading to an LT 6 ply tire before the next trip.

There are mixed opinions on LT tired for trailers, and I won't try to sway you either way... But if you do go LT make sure the weight capacity matches what your trailer needs.  Many standard LT models may be too light.  For a slightly less expensive tire upgrade, your trailer may have come with D range bias ply tires which can be replaced with D or E range radials (still ST trailer tires).  Radials are a bit more flexible and should roll smoother, in theory.

scottydl said:
There are mixed opinions on LT tired for trailers, and I won't try to sway you either way... But if you do go LT make sure the weight capacity matches what your trailer needs.  Many standard LT models may be too light.  For a slightly less expensive tire upgrade, your trailer may have come with D range bias ply tires which can be replaced with D or E range radials (still ST trailer tires).  Radials are a bit more flexible and should roll smoother, in theory.

Thanks for the info! I ordered Goodyear Adventure with silent armor LT tires. They have Kevlar in the side wall that stiffens up the sidewall considerably. The weight rating is 2756 Lbs per tire. I've had this tire on 2 other trucks and my wife's Yukon and I love them. They give the vehicle a much more stable ride. I considered going to an E rated 10 ply but being that the truck is a 1/2 ton, the tires would be rated for much more than the trucks capability so it wouldn't be worth it.

aries75 said:
WOW!! Can you please post a pic of your truck and TT. Good luck and be careful.

This is the day we brought it home so it's unloaded. The truck still sits pretty nice thanks to the WD hitch.
Not a very good pic but the site will only allow 350mb and smaller

Attachments

• 2016-07-21 17.16.15.jpg
    2016-07-21 17.16.15.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 124
Aaron k said:
Thanks for the info! I ordered Goodyear Adventure with silent armor LT tires. They have Kevlar in the side wall that stiffens up the sidewall considerably. The weight rating is 2756 Lbs per tire. I've had this tire on 2 other trucks and my wife's Yukon and I love them. They give the vehicle a much more stable ride. I considered going to an E rated 10 ply but being that the truck is a 1/2 ton, the tires would be rated for much more than the trucks capability so it wouldn't be worth it.

Ah, for some reason I thought you were discussing trailer tire replacement with LT's (which some trailer owners do).  But I'm sure those will also serve your truck well!

From one Michigander (Grand Rapids area) to another...
Congrats on the new rig! Looks great. And you did a nice job in doing the research before purchase. When I first found the thread, I was screaming "Nooooooooo!" at the monitor. I have a true 37' TT. Longer if adding the tongue. Never would have even tried to pull it without at least a 3/4 ton truck.
Have fun and hope the DW is just as happy.

If it helps put it in perspective, I have a 2011 half ton GMC, the manual AND GMC's national customer service say max towing is 9,100 lbs. Our toy hauler is 6,325 lbs dry and probably 7,300 loaded. My transmission simply can not handle it. I burned it up the first time I toed our rig from Phoenix to Flagstaff. After buying a new GM transmission, I've run it close to too hot and have to pull over frequently to let the transmission cool. I'm about to start a fight with GMC in hopes they'll install a true HD transmission.

Aaron k said:
This is the day we brought it home so it's unloaded. The truck still sits pretty nice thanks to the WD hitch.
Not a very good pic but the site will only allow 350mb and smaller

That looks awesome, congrats and enjoy.

Thanks everyone! We have a trip planned to pictured rocks in Munising, MI next week. It's a 700 mile round trip so it will be a good test. I hope everything goes well! Thanks again for all your help!

Pictured Rocks is an awesome place to visit. If weather permits, make sure you take the family on one of the boat tours to see it from the Lake Superior side. A beautiful sight to see on a sunny day. Have a safe and fun trip.

Welcome to the form nice set up We are also from Michigan.  Greater Detroit are give use a pm and well tell you about some grate places to take a 2 and 4 year old

denmarc said:
Pictured Rocks is an awesome place to visit. If weather permits, make sure you take the family on one of the boat tours to see it from the Lake Superior side. A beautiful sight to see on a sunny day. Have a safe and fun trip.

We did the boat tour a few yeas ago and loved it! This year we're going back to do the 6 hour kayak trip. Leaving the kids at grandma and grandpa's for the first trip. It should be a good time. A little worried about wind on the Mac bridge!

Back
Top Bottom