heat not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

hello to all. it has been awhile since last post. ive not had any problems, until now. my heat will not work. the fan blows cold air. i have 2 furnaces (rear and front). neither will fire up. heat was running when it stopped. im not out of gas,. a little background : 1986 gulfstream sunstream, ive owned 1 1/2 years. thanks for any help. if ive not given enough info let me know. thanks, tim

Very strange that both furnaces stopped simultaneously. I'd bet on a propane problem, even though you have gas in the tank. Might be a clogged regulator.  Over time, tanks sometimes build up oily globs from contaminants such as moisture and if this stuff gets sucked into the outlet pipe it will mess up the regulator. If it gets through the regulator, it will clog up the burner itself.  I'd try changing the regulator first - they aren't expensive and yours may be tired out anyway (has it ever been replaced?). If you see nay black, oily stuff in th old regulator, that's the problem. Just hope it didn't get any further.

The furnaces are big propane gulpers, so an LPG supply problem will show up there first. Will your water heater work on LPG? That's the next biggest consumer.

gary, thanks for the reply. the water heater, stove top,  and refridge were still working. i thought it was strange also, and cold.  the heat was on for 2 days when it quit. temps were in the low 20's , so it was working hard. ill look at the regulator. please post anymore ideas. thanks again, tim

Since other LP appliances work, I would think you have to move on in the diagnosis.  Turn furnace off.  This may be tough but I have a portable air compressor that I can fill up and walk out to the MH.  Take the panel off the outside of furnace and blow the furnace out.  Make sure the flew and burner area are clean.

I know this is strange but a little bit of soot or web can cause it to malfunction.  Blowing these units out every year is a good idea as part of your maintenance list.

Mike

well i removed the burner and blew that out. unhooked the gas and blew out the nozzel, blew out the heat chamber, and blew out the exhaust from the outside. we now have heat. thanks everyone. tim

BOTH furnaces now work OK?  I'm still thinking that the only thing that both furnaces have in common is the propane supply, and you did say you blow out the fuel inlet nozzles.

gary, im gonna look into replacing the regulator. do you think my local lp supplier can help? ior do you think i will have to try the rv dealer, it is 1 1/2 hour away? thanks for any input. tim

They have regulators at Farm Supply Stores, HD, LOwes and your local LP store.

Another issue for future furnace trouble is the t/stat.  There was a rash of defective t/stats in suburban furnaces in the last several years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom