2016 F250 Diesel Turbo towing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmart70

We have purchased a 2016 F250 diesel turbo-short bed.  We currently have a tow behind trailer (around 7500 Pounds) and are looking at upgrading to a fifth wheel toy hauler.  Our truck is rated at pulling 15,100 pounds.  The fifth wheel is 13,600...if we load the toy and food and 30 gallons of gas, I think we'll be pushing the max weight of 15,100.  (Who needs water anyhow??  All kidding aside, we would fill either at the campground or close to the campground so the overage on hauling the 800 extra pounds would only be temporary)  I have friends that have tandem pulled well over their weight....but curious as to what the thoughts are on pushing the max load.  I realize it will degrade fuel economy and pulling through mountains could strain the engine.  Before I take a hit on my 2016 tow behind...looking for any thoughts on this new fifth wheel.  (There is another option for one that is 12,800 pounds so we could "settle" if that makes more sense)

Thanks all!

you first need to see what the cargo capacity is on that truck as Fords are all over the map. look on the b pillar between the drivers and passengers door - dealers will tell you what you want to hear not the truth - decal look like this

ps no way you can pull a 15000 lb 5th wheel with that truck the pin weight is going to be 2400-2800 lbs

Attachments

• IMG_20160306_092354.jpg
    IMG_20160306_092354.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 39
Actually, a max weight trailer probably has no measurable impact on fuel economy because the main factor in that is wind resistance (front area and speed). And the engine is not the limiting factor in the tow capacity either. Trust me, that diesel could roll twice the  weight you are talking about. Brakes, drive line, suspension, maybe not, but the engine is good to go. That truck will indeed pull the max rated weight well enough, but remember the max decreases with every pound of passengers and gear you add to the truck. The gross combined weight (GCWR) is a fixed limit, so weight carried in the truck reduces the max for the trailer. The tow rating of that 2016 assumed two people and full fuel in the truck. Anything else is extra.

You also need to be aware of the pin weight of that trailer. A 5W carries 20-25% of its gross weight on the hitch pin, so the truck payload has to be able to carry it. That's far more than with your present TT (about 10% tongue weight). Check the F250 payload rating carefully, again remembering that anything and everything carried in the truck is "payload". Including the 5W hitch.

Is that 13,600 lbs the dry weight? If so, forget about it, cause it's a meaningless number. Especially if its from a brochure or spec sheet, since the actual weight of any specific one will almost surely be greater by the time you get your hands on it.  Assume that you will be pulling the trailer GVWR, or very close to it. If you aren't loaded that heavy on the first trip, you soon will be. Lawn chairs, BBQ, kids bikes, whatever, all add up fast. And continue to grow!

I have a 2012 F250 diesel, my 5th wheel comes in around 12000 lbs and my truck does just fine BUT, I upgraded my truck with Air Lift air suspension in the back (rated up to 5000 lbs payload).  If I did not have the air bags my bumper might be dragging on the ground! Lol. The 5th wheel you're looking at (and most other 5'ers) need a 1 ton dually! 

It's not the motor that will have trouble, it's the pin weight on your truck.

Rugguy said:
I have a 2012 F250 diesel, my 5th wheel comes in around 12000 lbs and my truck does just fine BUT, I upgraded my truck with Air Lift air suspension in the back (rated up to 5000 lbs payload).  If I did not have the air bags my bumper might be dragging on the ground! Lol. The 5th wheel you're looking at (and most other 5'ers) need a 1 ton dually! 

It's not the motor that will have trouble, it's the pin weight on your truck.

that does not change the vehicle capacity as set by the factory - which means while you can do it your still probably over your limits which would be  illegal and your insurance can be voided if you have an accident

It is common knowledge that the late model F250's have soft springs.  You can upgrade them and have the same capacity as an F350.  Air bags are another option.  I doubt that the sticker police will cause a problem.

but your insurance company sure will if you have an accident

Maybe in Canada, but not likely in the USA. They might raise the premiums if it became known, but simply being overweight isn't listed as grounds for denial of a claim in any US policy I've ever seen. Heck, if they cover you when drunk or speeding, what's a few extra pounds matter? Most policies identify only fraud or felony crime as grounds for denial of a claim, but everybody should check their own specific policy. I doubt that you will find "stupidity" there as a reason for a denial.

You may, however, find yourself on the losing end of a civil lawsuit if your negligence contributed to an accident (but your insurance covers that too, at least to the dollar limits of the policy).

Hello, and welcome to the Forum.  You will get honest, unfiltered opinions.  You may not like the answers, but you did ask!

LISTEN TO STEVE!!

Look up the CCC for YOUR truck.  No aftermarket products, including air bags, will increase this number.

Add up the weight of all passengers, cargo and hitch weight.  Now add 20% of the FW GVWR.  It MUST be less than the max CCC.

Pushing the limit is okay.  Shattering the limit is NOT okay.  I know many people do it daily, and think it works.  The tranny may have a very different opinion!  An emergency situation may find insufficient braking capacity or ability to control the rig. 

Please stay safe!!

In the first place, if you are at 15,000 pounds trailer weight, your pin weight will be 3,000 pounds plus. Then add 200 lbs for the hitch, passenger weight and anything else you would put in your truck. Your now over 3,500 pounds.
You either need a 1 ton truck or a lighter 5th.
It's not about towable weight of the trailer, it's your axle weight.
Do what Steve said and check your payload.

Stan

Steve, unlike 95% of the other F250 and F350's, including 2500 and 3500's Dodge and Chevy,  who have B truck plates (in the great state of Illinois).  I am actually plated correctly with a safety inspection every 6 months and am well within my limits. Thanks though.  All I was saying is how much better my truck rides with air bags and a 15000 lb 5'er needs a 1 ton dually.  Just because I have air bags rated for 5000 lbs doesn't mean I'm going to load up and party!

PS in case you were worried I also upgraded my brakes too!

Rugguy said:
Steve, unlike 95% of the other F250 and F350's, including 2500 and 3500's Dodge and Chevy,  who have B truck plates (in the great state of Illinois).  I am actually plated correctly with a safety inspection every 6 months and am well within my limits. Thanks though.  All I was saying is how much better my truck rides with air bags and a 15000 lb 5'er needs a 1 ton dually.  Just because I have air bags rated for 5000 lbs doesn't mean I'm going to load up and party!

PS in case you were worried I also upgraded my brakes too!

Sorry im not familiar with your plate system after all i am canadian lol 99.9% of all 2500's regardless of brand will not handle a 15000 lbs 5er with a pin wieght in the 2800 lb range and a max pay load of 3000 lbs that leaves no room for people my 1 ton has a 3800 payload and my trailers pin is 2800lbs, i also have airbags. But airbags do not alter payload only an engineer can do that. So i am curious what does the payload sticker say on your truck? because thats legally what you can carry as a cargo capacity regardless of airbags sumo springs or anything else. And there are a number of cases in both canada and the states of insurance companies denying claims of people with oversize loads both commercial and recreational, and its only getting worse as ins companies tighten belts and deny more claims.

Wow, you must not be a very good reader up there in Canada EH? Because in both my posts I said a 15000 lb 5'er needs a 1 ton!!  (I am agreeing with you)  geez, you totally ruined my first post of me giving my opinion..I'm out!

Rugguy said:
Wow, you must not be a very good reader up there in Canada EH? Because in both my posts I said a 15000 lb 5'er needs a 1 ton!!  (I am agreeing with you)  geez, you totally ruined my first post of me giving my opinion..I'm out!

Sorry if i offended you that was not my intent, there are exceptions to every rule and occasionally you will find them, and when you do they are worth pointing out, because it help people find them. I was hoping you had found the exception, i wasnt doubting you - but i dont know your plate system either ,and too many people think adding airbags changes their legal cargo capacity which of course it doesn't.
Cheers steve

jmart70 said:
We have purchased a 2016 F250 diesel turbo-short bed.  We currently have a tow behind trailer (around 7500 Pounds) and are looking at upgrading to a fifth wheel toy hauler.  Our truck is rated at pulling 15,100 pounds.  The fifth wheel is 13,600...if we load the toy and food and 30 gallons of gas, I think we'll be pushing the max weight of 15,100.  (Who needs water anyhow??  All kidding aside, we would fill either at the campground or close to the campground so the overage on hauling the 800 extra pounds would only be temporary)  I have friends that have tandem pulled well over their weight....but curious as to what the thoughts are on pushing the max load.  I realize it will degrade fuel economy and pulling through mountains could strain the engine.  Before I take a hit on my 2016 tow behind...looking for any thoughts on this new fifth wheel.  (There is another option for one that is 12,800 pounds so we could "settle" if that makes more sense)

Thanks all!

I'm one to buck the system when it comes to 3/4 ton vs. 1 ton SRW trucks.  If you really get down to the nitty gritty details of your truck compared to an F-350 SRW (single rear wheel) you are going to find that, other than the springs, the trucks are virtually identical.

They yellow sticker shows the additional weight that you are able to place on the four tires before exceeding the factory stated gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). If the 250 and 350 are virtually identical, why is there a difference aside from springs? It comes down to how the vehicle is registered. Trucks with higher GVWR pay more to register.

I've owned many 1-ton dually trucks that were registered for 49,000 lbs. When those trucks were loaded, the only numbers that the Department of Transportation and my insurance cared about, were tire ratings and axle rating and that we never exceeded them. Other than that, they could be loaded to the hilt.

As was eluded to earlier, a set of airbags in the rear will hold up the saggy truck. Other than that, don't exceed your tire or axle ratings.  Also, in regards to being concerned about taxing the engine, the 6.7 Powerstroke and its 6-speed transmission is also found in the F-750 trucks that have towing capacities beyond 50,000 lbs.

Steve,

The OP wanted to overload HIS F250 with a 15,000 FW.

Rugby said he had a F250 with air bags and it handles HIS 12,000 FW nicely.  He also acknowledged pin weight issues for any bigger FW.

Ok, go ahead and plead old age!!!!!!  I will not argue!

grashley said:
Steve,

The OP wanted to overload HIS F250 with a 15,000 FW.

Rugby said he had a F250 with air bags and it handles HIS 12,000 FW nicely.  He also acknowledged pin weight issues for any bigger FW.

Ok, go ahead and plead old age!!!!!!  I will not argue!
cant argue this one Gord lol

After the accident nobody in the insurance industry will be measuring anything. All they want is to get the claim over with. My agent is my brother in law and tells it to me straight. I towed my 2010 Carri-lite 18k gvw 5er around the country twice with my 2500hd w/air bags @60lbs.  Not one problem, the trailer was at a weighed 16.5k and the 2500hd in 08 was rated at 13.8k 5er configuration.  These vehicles are purposefully underrated for liability concerns.  After saying all this I did upgrade to a 3500hd drw just to be safer and I'll tell you the stability can be felt.

Jere and Laur said:
After the accident nobody in the insurance industry will be measuring anything. All they want is to get the claim over with. My agent is my brother in law and tells it to me straight. I towed my 2010 Carri-lite 18k gvw 5er around the country twice with my 2500hd w/air bags @60lbs.  Not one problem, the trailer was at a weighed 16.5k and the 2500hd in 08 was rated at 13.8k 5er configuration.  These vehicles are purposefully underrated for liability concerns.  After saying all this I did upgrade to a 3500hd drw just to be safer and I'll tell you the stability can be felt.

worst advise ever insurance companies will do everything to get out of paying your brother in law is a fool

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/pickup-trucks-tow-ratings-and-liability/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom