Just flushed my Water Heater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I just made up a flushing device to clean my water heater tank. You should have seen the amount of stuff that came out. It was white chunks . I assume it was just calcium. I don't think it would have hurt anything but at least it's clean now. My heater was a 2011 and it had never been flushed.

I'm also in the process of sanitizing my entire system. I wonder how long it would take for the chlorine to dissipate if I just leave it in there. We're not going camping till next weekend (ten days from now). I may just leave it in there till then.  Any comments on leaving it in there?

I think it will leave a chlorine taste in the water if you don't flush it out thoroughly. Some people use a baking soda solution to do that, but i just run some fresh water through.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I think it will leave a chlorine taste in the water if you don't flush it out thoroughly. Some people use a baking soda solution to do that, but i just run some fresh water through.

Typically all I do is also just run water through the system but I was just wondering if it would dissipate after 10 days.

Probably not, since it is sealed in water pipes and heater tank. Does a bottle of bleach on the shelf turn to pure water in a week or two? Of course not. It may deteriorate some, especially if hot weather or in left open, but it is not going away altogether.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Probably not, since it is sealed in water pipes and heater tank. Does a bottle of bleach on the shelf turn to pure water in a week or two? Of course not. It may deteriorate some, especially if hot weather or in left open, but it is not going away altogether.

Not to be argumentative but a bottle of bleach is sealed. My water tank is vented but that's beside the point. I drained and flushed my system a couple of hours ago.

But you are talking about leaving the bleach in the water lines and heater, not just the fresh tank. An entirely different thing.

In any case, there is no need to accept my opinion.  It is simple enough to test your method: Just taste the water early enough to have time to flush if you decide that is needed.

Gary, I was mostly thinking that it would dissipate from my tank and as soon as I started using the water, it would flush out the lines if there was any left in them. Can't check now because I dumped all of it as you suggested. Thanks.

My experience is that the chunks can indeed damage your water heater.  I found several big chunks in my mixing valve.  Had to replace the valve.

I've flushed mine every 6 months yet when I took the WH out and flushed it by tilting it I got tons of chunks out if it. 

Rene T said:
I just made up a flushing device to clean my water heater

Do tell!  Got any photos or description of what you made and how you used it?

I've cleaned mine out by spraying a regular hose stream into the drain hole, but I'm not sure the water pressure really gets into the "front" corners of the tank (the ones on the same side as the drain).  I know there are cleaning wands that can be purchased for this purpose, but I'm all for making my own if I have the materials laying around.

scottydl said:
Do tell!  Got any photos or description of what you made and how you used it?

I've cleaned mine out by spraying a regular hose stream into the drain hole, but I'm not sure the water pressure really gets into the "front" corners of the tank (the ones on the same side as the drain).  I know there are cleaning wands that can be purchased for this purpose, but I'm all for making my own if I have the materials laying around.

All I did was use a long 1/8" pipe nipple and put a 90 degree elbow on the end. I modified the elbow with a hacksaw so it would go easily in the drain hole. Then all I did was adapt the other end so it would hook up to a garden hose. I also had a ball valve so I could shut it off/on when needed.

There also available here already made:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=rv+water+heater+flush+wand

I purchased a wand and cleaned my water heater tank for the first time after owning the MH for two years. One winter was in Phoenix and the second was in Texas, both of which have horrible water. I also cleared out a tank of big chunks.

It you buy or build a wand, make sure it is long enough to reach the bottom and corners of the tank without trying to force the shut-off valve into the tank. I cleaned mine from the top, through the emergency release hole while having the drain valve open on the bottom. My logic was that the build up should be thinner at the top and, therefore, easier to break through to get the cleaning process started.

I probably spent an hour concentrating the wand on one spot and then the next as the discharge indicated the first spot was reasonably clean. However, it takes some time to initially get the build-up to start to break loose and I imagine that someone who simply rinses the tank with a hose believes the tank is clean because without a wand and good concentrated water pressure... and time, it won't break loose.

I also concentrated on the check valves in an attempt to clean them also.

As Rene said, that stuff is thick, and in my case, even after only two years of use.

Rene T said:
I just made up a flushing device to clean my water heater tank. You should have seen the amount of stuff that came out. It was white chunks . I assume it was just calcium. I don't think it would have hurt anything but at least it's clean now. My heater was a 2011 and it had never been flushed.

Most likely calcium from the water. I bought a portable water softener to use when we finally get out on trips. It was a bit expensive, but it's going to be worth it to help keep the system clean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom