Ham Radio HF SSB installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larryr

I have pulled the HF radio from the boat and want to use it (with pactor modem) in motor home.  I am interested in antenna and counterpoise solutions. 73's Larry KD7KRX

Well the bands make a difference.... Most common RV antenna is the screwdrivers.. But if you are interested in a single band,, Then there are otehr options... Most motor home frames make a decent counterpoise for 30-40 Meters

What I use (80 and up) is a long wire with an Automatic Tuner (Marine grade) on the back of the RV.

One of the guys in my radio club tried a screwdriver on his motorhome, was never able to get it to tune properly. I don't know the whole story.

I use a G5RV junior with an automatic tuner. Performance is acceptable, it's not too long and is just about invisible. Camping in New England, there's always trees available. If there's only one tree, I'll use it as a sloper.

I use the handle for my roof rake, which is four 4-foot sections that snap together, to get a weighted soda bottle over a tree branch, then hoist the antenna. It takes about 15 minutes, and the antenna is usually 20 feet in the air. I'm going to get a telescoping painter's pole for this task, then use it to attach my VHF/UHF ground plane to the ladder. I'm currently using 15 feet of Schedule 40, so it will be less stuff to carry.

Maybe I should pull the auto-tuner from the boat also,  I do have a MJF(?) manual tuner with nice meters for SWR and power out.  I kind of want to leave the tuner, insulated backstay and brass foil as a ready to "just add a transciever" in the boat as an attraction to sales.  I have a really nice Tartan 37 that needs a re-fit ans is priced accordingly, most contacts on the sale  are hoping for a ready to go bargain....tuff selling a project boat :)

Back
Top Bottom