In the beginning...........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gbull44

Ok, my wife and I started researching last fall. We have a limited budget and have to be very selective. I found and bought a 1999 Dodge 2500 V-10 extended cab shortbed with 29,000 miles on it for a good price. I also have purchased a new Prodigy Brake Control, yet to be installed. Now we have up to $18,000 for a good used fifth wheel. We have read and tried to digest so much info that it has begun to get frustrating. I understand the tow ratios for the most part and believe I should stay under 30'. We have looked at several models personally and on the net and have narrowed it down to two. First is a 2002 model 29' Forest River Wildcat with dual rear slides for $17,012 including installation of a slider hitch. Second is a 2005 Timberland Cody 28.5' with large rear slideout for $18,000 and a non-installed hitch thrown in.

Now here are the other considerations. The Wildcat is at a dealership 5 hours away, where the hitch is to be installed and they will go over everything with us in detail as we are new to the RV experience. The Cody belongs to a very nice lady we know personally in our town, who's husband was killed in a auto accident 3 months ago. Both trailers are in excellent condition but the Cody is immaculate. The downside, among any others you veterans can explain, is that we will kind of be on our own with the Cody with no dealership for backup and limited amount of training in basic fundamentals.

Anyone that has previous experience or advice on these models or any advice in general would be appreciated!

Not being a 5ver person, I'll not comment on the towing ability of the truck you have, about pulling either unit down the road.  I'll let Carl and Gary do that.  However, it  seems to me, the 05 would be the better deal.  Not knowing your state laws on sales,  Many states have no sales tax when buying from an individual and plenty tax from a dealer, as much as 8 to 10 %.  You can always purchase extended warranty from Warranty Experts or others.  As for the brief down of operations of the RV, surely you have a friend in the area that can assist you on some of this and this forum is fantastic for assisting anyone that needs help.  Also possibly someone here has the same unit you select.  That decision is intirely up to you.  Sorry this doesn't help much but others will jump in soon, I'm sure.

You are on your own, either way. I wouldn't give the dealer an edge for prospective future service on a used unit, ever. I would give an edge to someone I knew, personally, assuming that knowledge was favorable. In this case, it appears to be favorable.

Stick to this very helpful forum for advise about operations and maintenance. It's great! ;)

Shayne knows a whole lot more about 5ers than I do, so I too will defer to knowledgeable people on that issue.

Ray D  ;D

RAy D  You give me far too much credit  I'm one of those guys that wouldn't pull a trailer with a Pickup across town.  However, I have respect for those that do.  I am strictly a MH dummy that advocate do as I say not as I do.  Karl, Carl, Ned, Bernie and Tom all know what I'm referring too.  But as my logo states  Stubborn, opininated, set in my ways and independent.  But these are only my feelings about the units knowing nothing about either.  NADA may be of some help in this however on a quick scan I was unable to locate the Corba and I must admit I wasn't really determined to find it.

Yeah, Shayne, I know. I read your post. You are a little ahead of me in trailering skills. I know, that's not saying much, but what else is there to say?  ::)

Ray D  ;D

Ok, my wife and I started researching last fall. We have a limited budget and have to be very selective. I found and bought a 1999 Dodge 2500 V-10 extended cab shortbed with 29,000 miles on it for a good price. I also have purchased a new Prodigy Brake Control, yet to be installed. Now we have up to $18,000 for a good used fifth wheel. We have read and tried to digest so much info that it has begun to get frustrating. I understand the tow ratios for the most part and believe I should stay under 30'.

Length means very little in this matter -- what counts is weight.   Your truck is tow rated for 13,400 lbs.   Allowing 10% safety factor, make that 12,060 lbs.  That means that it should be used to pull a trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating GVWR of no more than 12,060 lbs..   If you would ever tow in the mountain or Pacfic west, make that  GVWR no more than 10,720 lbs..

Wiith a trailer you can find its GVWR on the DOT plate on the driver's side front of the trailer.

With your 8 year old gasser, treat those limits like gospel. 

As for private sale vs. dealer sale, I agree there is no difference.   Used trailers go on an as-is basis.   Condition is everything.   We have a run down on what to look for in a used travel trailer in the trailer section.   Everything would apply to a 5er.  To see, click HERE,

Amen to what Carl has said.

I wouldn't give the dealer option much of an edge over the private sale, except for the initial walk-thru to show you what is what. Even then, they usually promise more than they deliver as far as actual training is concerned. You will be lucky to get a 30 minute walk around and quite possibly from a person who doesn't actually use an RV him/her self. Maybe this dealer will be an exception, but many tend to delegate the after sale orientation to a sales guy or the "lot boy"  who preps rigs for delivery. Better than nothing, though.

If you could find a friend (you just found some here!) to help you out a bit, I'd take the local, private deal.  You will likley get more for your money that way. But first check the price in the NADA Recreation Vehicle Guide at NADA Guides.  You do not want to pay more than low NADA retail in a private sale and often it is less.  It is perhaps awkward to negotiate with the recently widowed lady, but this is a large and important purchase for you. Private sales are a buyer's market because a dealer will pay only wholesale for an RV, so the alternative for the seller is a very low price.

Get a quote from a local hitch shop for installing the hitch in the private deal.

When I purchased my fifth-wheel from the dealer, they did in fact do a step-by-step lesson on how to hook-up, maintain, and live in my camper.  There was so much information, however, that most of it was gone from my mind as soon I pulled out of the parking lot.  I've done much better by referring to the lists located in the forum's library.  There are also little tricks such as a "tug test", knowing when the trailer wheels should be chocked, etc. that you get used to doing over time.

The first time I towed the trailer (from the dealer to my home), not once did I stop worrying about every little sound and bump.  Now that I'm more confident in my capabilities and familiar with what my truck/trailer combination does, the trips are very smooth.  In fact, I enjoy the challenge of hauling a good sized rig.

That said, do you have a friend who is experienced with towing fifth-wheels?  If not, I didn't see if you mentioned where you live.  It's possible you might find a "friend" on this list that could go with you.

One more thing, when you mentioned that the Cody trailer had a "non-installed hitch", I'm assuming you meant that the lady was throwing in the hitch.  You are only going to get the hitch that mounts in the bed with that deal.  You will probably need to buy the mounting rails that will be installed in the truck's bed.

-Dave

Hey guys thanks for all the responses so far. After the advice about dealerships, we are leaning toward the Cody owned by the widow. The GVWR is 9,647. I was hoping that the hitch was a slider (me with a shortbed truck) but it is a Reese Pro Series 15K with rails. Will this be a problem?  I checked locally and I can get it installed for $200. The truck has the towing and camping package which means the Prodigy brake control should not be too expensive to install. There will have to be modifications to the existing hookup at the back of the truck as it was used to hook up a boat.

I should also mention the trailer is four-seasons and everything seems to work. She is throwing everything in with it although I'm sure I will have to purchase a few items. Beyond what I would consider the normal equipment (dangerous assumption from a newb I know) is a square expanded metal platform that fits a receiver hitch in the back of the trailer, insulated water hose with heating cord and a tripod satellite dish.

I have spoken to some of the people they traveled with and the trailer was used less than 10 times and with less than 5,000 miles. The only thing we don't like is the fact that it was parked outside though it shows little or no weathering. Unfortunately, we will have the same dilemma until we can afford to build a shed.

Sounds pretty good.

No, a short bed is usually NOT a problem but you (the driver) have to keep a sharp eye when backing to make sure you never turn so sharp as to cause the trailer to hit the cab. Some trailers won't do it under any circumstances, most will do it at the very extreme of a backing turn and a few will do it in much more gentle turns. Until you know which type you have, be ultra careful when backing. Moving forward in normal driving should never be a problem, but again, practice some turns and watch the trailer to be sure. Better yet, you make the turns and have someone else watch the trailer and let you know what is happening.

I've trailered fivers with short bed trucks for many a mile with never a hint of a problem, but that only means my trailers were in that middle majority. Your mileage may vary.

I sure wouldn't worry about it being outside in the weather.  I never have mine under roof anymore.  It's like a car.  YOu don't drive it inside.  Leave it out, you keep it inside and then you take it out and Walla  troubles.  I'm just not a believer of inside storage any more.  JMHO

I agree with Gary in that a shortbed without a slider is fine as long as the driver is careful and patient.  It's pretty easy to pop out a rear pickup window if you're not careful.

I checked the Reese site and it looks like both the Reese Pro Series 15K and the slider kit for the Reese hitch both use the universal rail kit P/N 30035.  (Please double check me on this.)  If that is the case, you might be able to get a slider hitch in the future if you find you need it and funds permit.

I have one additional comment.  I have to say that the vast majority of family spats I've witnessed at campgrounds occur when one family member is helping another back a trailer into a site.  Some have gotten really ugly.  It's understandable when you think of the stress and worry caused by the fear of damaging some pretty expensive pieces of equipment. I think this is a horrible way to start a vacation though, so I take great pains to be patient and calm.  I've stopped worrying about the other drivers who are waiting to get past, and I don't hesitate to ask for help from other campers in the form of, "I was wondering if you could move your bicycles for a moment so I could have another shot at this."

Sorry, but I couldn't help but add my $0.02.

-Dave

Shayne,
I sure wouldn't worry about it being outside in the weather.  I never have mine under roof anymore.  It's like a car.  YOu don't drive it inside.  Leave it out, you keep it inside and then you take it out and Walla  troubles.  I'm just not a believer of inside storage any more.  JMHO
And this is from a guy who hauls his Lincoln around in an ENCLOSED trailer ;D ;D ;D

HA HA HA  That's because it's a Pain in the UH huh to use a Dolly  Which I'm thinking of buying again.  The car sits outside , just hauled around the country in the trailer.  But now I got so many tools, no room for the Car.  LOL

Patience, is that what you said Dave? My wife? That is worth a deep belly laugh! But seriously, we have decided on the Cody and have our loan on the way. Should have the trailer sometime next week. We are also going to get a cheap set of walkie-talkies and drive over to the Quartz Mt. State Park (app. 15 miles). There I plan on practicing backing, parking, hook-up etc. before "going off the deep end" so to speak. I am positive I will supply some of the vets ample cheap entertainment lol.

I am sure I will have some more questions as the widow (very nice lady) has agreed to let me get the hitch installed first of next week. I sincerely appreciate you guys and your advice.

Great Idea on the practice.  Remember, forum members are just a computer distance away should you need help.

Hey fellas, we are getting our hitch, brake control and trailer connection installed tomorrow. We will then hook that baby up hopefully this Thursday and take her out locally this weekend. Hurray!

I just had a few comments to add to the thread.  The V10 is an excellent gasser and will deliver about 4-8mpg while towing and about 9-12mpg not towing.  I also have the shortbed and indeed exercise caution when making extreme turns.  The cab does get creased if you make an extreme, and I mean extreme, turn.  It is easy to prevent if you are aware.  Depending on your gear ratio you will have no trouble.  Dodge did make the Sport model which is great offroad (4X4) and looks sharp but had a too high gear ratio to tow well.  The transmission should be monitored if automatic.  Generally speaking I'd make sure the bands are adjusted and the tranny fluid and filter are in good shape.  Dodge automatic transmissions are the weakest part of the driveline.  Good PM will give you a much longer life.  You will go slower than your diesel brother as the torque curve is a bit higher on the V10 although once in the meat of the curve you will hold it.  I tow a bit heavier than the 12000lbs Carl recommends although I am lower than recommended GVWR.  The almost 10000lbs you are looking at will be no problem.  Roadability is no problem.  Very smooth and no drama to speak of.  The worst aspect of the V10 is its thirst and the best part is its power and smoothness.  I hope this helps and good luck with it...Phil   

Well, we couldn't resist and took it to the state park yesterday for a test drive. Couple of intense moments. One, pulled into gas station, thought I had plenty of room overhead. Got out and found that the AC was less than a foot below the overhang. I will have to watch this more carefully. Also, people tailgate really bad and it certainly doesn't help your stress level. I found that it was a lot like when I used to ride a motorcycle, you have to watch for other people as much or more than yourself.

I am going to wash the RV tomorrow and apply some Protect - All. I am then going to practice some backing in a vacant lot. We plan on taking it to the park and actually setting up next weekend. I took inventory, looked over the Forum Checklists (already have basic tool kit) and bought a Sewer Solution, 6-ton hydraulic jack, rechargeable spotlight/flashlight, 30 amp ext. cord, portable air compressor, water filter, water regulator, walkie-talkies and several items for the inside. I am sure we will forget something but hopefully we will learn. Feel free with input.

Couple of questions: There are two 3-foot fiberglas or plastic (very solid maybe 1-1/2" diameter) rods with rubber ends on them in the storage of the dining room booth. The widow from whom I got the trailer, had no idea what they were. They are not extendable so they are not shower rods or clothes hanging rods. They are too long to fit under the slideout for support. I can't find anything in the owners manual regarding the rods.

Finally, I am going to be forced to give up my cable for satellite. I want to go HD because I have an HDTV in the house. The problem is in Oklahoma, our local network stations are not yet HD on satellite, only on cable and we don't live close enough to the stations to pick them up "over the air". We eventually want to get a small HD for the trailer. Any preferences on Directv or Dish and/or the future of HD with either? 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom