4WD or RWD --> How important when choosing truck ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micro1706

We have a winnie micro minnie 1706fb, 19ft and around 5000lbs max weight, tandem axle.
Our intended cruising area is going to be mostly paved, but a bit hilly (ID, WA, OR, UT)
We are not trying to get there fast, just get there, and we will be staying away from frozen temps.
Any suggestions as to the importance of choosing 4wd over rwd?  We are hoping to keep fuel economy as an important decision criteria, as long as safety is not impacted.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas.
cheers

I'm a fan of 2wd, but ONLY with limited slip differential.

Many folks with 4wd trucks, don't realize that often these trucks only "spin" one front tire and one rear tire.... depends on the equipment and if the have locking differentials as I understand it.  Anyway, 2WD limited slip will get me any place I want to go

but
I have read of folks in grassy campgrounds getting stuck trying to pull their TT on wet grass.  So there is a place for 4wd if you know how to use it I suppose....

that being said, I am eyeing a jeep as my next driver.  Figuring a little beach driving or off roading might be fun.

The 'automatic chains' are nice but add to the upfront cost and for most of us get infrequent use. We have only run into problems with our 2wd a couple of times on steep driveways (one of them our own ::))pulling the trailer, I now know to take a bit of a run at it. We don't frequent back country roads as much as I would like to, my city born bride panics.

It's going to be pretty rare when you need 4x4 pulling a trailer. Plus, the extra running gear will reduce your towing/cargo carrying capacity...usually by 300-500 lbs. (look at the various towing guides)

That said, if you WANT a 4x4...get one. If not...don't.  I WANT another 4x4...even though I don't need one. Will I end up with one? Time will tell.

I've seen numerous 2WD trunks get stuck on wet grass and soft soil. Not off-road, but in campgrounds. When I had my fifth wheel, I had to use 4WD several times.

Over the life of the truck, the additional cost of purchasing and maintaining 4WD over 2WD is insignificant.

I just got my 4WD behemoth a couple months ago.  I used the 4WD for the first time yesterday, and I do not yet have a camper!

My daughter had a piece of furniture needing assembly shipped to her work.  I picked it up and with all of our recent rain, when I tried to back up to our patio door (grass, slight uphill), the wheels spun.  I stopped, turned the knob to 4 Low, took my foot off the brake and came straight back with absolutely no trouble.  I did not even touch the accelerator!

Does that covert extra cost?  NO WAY!  But it was very nice to have.  Besides, finding a used F350 diesel Lariat with 2WD is nearly impossible.

The Myth is that 4WD is "Stronger" and can "Tow more" (in practice they often have lower tow ratings)

The advantage, or not, is that you can go where others can not.. BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER

Though a 4WD can GO like the wind on snow, or ice, or rain/leaf slicked roads or wet grass or _______.

They also STOP like the wind.... The wind stops when it hits something.

Your brakes are the exact same as a RWD or FWD

Michigan Winters using remote control camers

If one end of the car is in the ditch other on pavement.. Drive end most likely in ditch.

If we have to use tilt/pan/zoom to follow the tire tracks a quarter mile or more out into the farmer's field.. 4WD

And returning that vehicle to the road will cost (then) $3.00/foot plus $75.00 service call, plus  Plus, Plus.

Oh, and you get to fix the farmer's fence too.

Depending on where you live, 4wd may be easier to sell and have higher trade in value.  Not many here in Northern Nevada want a 2wd.  Dick

nvrver said:
Depending on where you live, 4wd may be easier to sell and have higher trade in value.  Not many here in Northern Nevada want a 2wd.  Dick

The same for West Virginia.

I've been in one situation in the last three years where 4wd would have helped. It was uphill, on an angle, and snow/ice. In all honesty, I had no business trying to get in there that day. I ended up leaving the trailer in the overflow parking lot for the night. But that was only after being bullheaded and crunching the right rear corner of my Ram. :-[ At least it didn't hurt the front cap of the trailer other than a scuff mark. The snow/ice had melted by lunch the next day and made it in without an issue.

For us, the truck is also a primary vehicle.  We live in Central Oregon, and I would not have wanted to endure last winter without 4WD. So I would not consider 2WD as an option.

nvrver said:

Same here in Medford, Oregon. Rogue Valley area. Very difficult to find, or sell, a 2wd vehicle in this area. Everything on the lots is 4wd.

I tow a 6,900 lbs trailer in the national Forest with 2wd drive.  Gravel dirt roads and grass fields.  Haven't gotten stuck yet... Although the tire center  thought I was nuts when I put all terrain tires on a conversion van

My last truck had manual hubs and a manual transfer case.  With unlocked hubs and put in 4L it became a 2W stumpuller low that could pull anything up a steep but not slippery hill.  If the hill's slippery I had to lock the hubs.  With that said I actually used 4 wheel drive about 6 times in the 16 years I had that truck.  It was a 7.3 Diesel F250 that never met a hill it couldn't climb.

Previous truck was 2WD and I got stuck 5 times on a single trip to Mexico and had to be pulled out by a Toyota 4X4.  That hurt big time.

Newest truck (3 weeks old) is also a 4X4, with locking differential.

Come to think of it, our motorhome is the only non-4x4 or AWD vehicle we own.

someday perhaps the budget will match the terrain...but until then it sure is fun, nice, helpful,.. to hear the voices of experience
my last 4 diesels all had at least one mast firmly attached, and one fine specimen was totally built out of wood! 
they climbed many a hill or small mountain, as the waves got ornery in some of the storms, at least as high as the mast a couple more times than I want to remember
life at sea was always a reminder of how important redundant safety systems are to our ability to survive
it seems to be a bit less stressful with the on-land self-contained cruising, but perhaps that's just the voice of inexperience talking
let's see how well it fits with a few (more) miles under one's belt
until then, thanks for the input
cheers

Back
Top Bottom