Towing capacity Dodge RAM 1500 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micro1706

We have looked at a used 2004 Dodge RAM 1500, with the 4.7L V8 SOHC 16V engine, rwd, for a tow truck to our 2017 winn.micro.minnie 1706fb
It is in great shape and close to us, so we are considering buying it. 
When I look up the VIN# I see the vehicle history report show a max. tow. cap. of 8650
Other website rank it at around 3900
Our TT is at 3100 dry and 5200 soaked, so we are trying to make sure of this before going ahead.
Would anyone know the right figure?
many thanks

The published advertising numbers or generic chart numbers are RARELY accurate because they assume a full tank of fuel and a 150# driver and NOTHING ELSE!  No passengers, no cargo, NO OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT ON THE TRUCK, not even a hitch.

The one accurate number is the GCWR, which does not change based on the weight of the truck.

The BEST way to determine the true towing capacity is to find the truck GVWR on the driver door, get the truck weighed, and subtract the two.  The remainder is the REAL Payload or CCC for the truck.  The usual yellow label comment probably does not apply for a 2004 model.

Add up the weight of all passengers and cargo NOT in the truck when it was weighed (no need to count twice!).  Add 80# for a WD hitch and add 575# for tongue weight.  If you are less than CCC, GREAT, you pass Test #1.

Now add together the scale weight of the truck and everything you added EXCEPT the 575# for the tongue.  Add 5200# for the TT (including tongue wt).  This must be less than  truck GVWR.

The GVWR should be in the owners manual, which may be available on line.  Read the table carefully to make sure it is the right setup.

My GUESS is you should be fine, but please do not trust the guess from a guy you never met!!

Let us know what you find!

this is the specs from a vin-specific report
still not too clear to me if it will handle the 1706fb tt?
hope the image comes thru
thanks again for the help
cheers

Attachments

• specs.jpg
    specs.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 25
This says your Payload, aka CCC is 1800#.  Assuming 575# tongue wt and 80# hitch, that leaves over 1100# for passengers and cargo.  You should be in great shape!

To be sure, you need to look at the yellow sticker on the door jam.

I had a 09 durango with that engine pulling a 21ft North Trail. It was ok here in the midwest but not so much in the hills.  Up graded to 5.7 for trip to Yellowstone, I can not imagine pulling up a 6% grade with it. Would the 4.7 work maybe,would it be fun, no.

That truck will work but the Ram 1500 has the softest suspension of all the 1500 trucks. It would be fine for that trailer but the small v8 will work harder and use more fuel. A Ford Eco-boost would be a better choice or for that small of a trailer the Ram Eco-diesel would be better economy wise.

That towing capacity might be in kilograms.

Look up your truck here to see what it will tow http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

The only relatively accurate numbers for YOUR truck will come from the stickers in the driver's door opening...but this will give you an idea of what to expect:

http://dodgeram.info/2004/load-tow/1500.html

Looks like it varies (by transmission) from about 5700 to 7600 lbs of towing capacity.

Don't forget to account for passengers, cargo in the truck, weight of the hitch, etc. when calculating your actual load.

Perfect...looked it up and seems like it's gonna work!
thanks again
cheers

Micro1706 said:
Perfect...looked it up and seems like it's gonna work!
thanks again
cheers

Before you get TOO excited...double check the numbers on the stickers in the driver's side door opening...and remember, those numbers don't include any optional equipment installed after it left the factory. (including the hitch if it's not factory installed) They don't include any passengers, and USUALLY only include a full tank of fuel and a 150 lb. driver.)

no, never ...  wouldn't want to get too excited!
too early in the year! 
found the door tag...still looks good!
can I get excited yet?
cheers

YAY!  We're in! 
We are enjoying the learning curve, and even more the great folks on this site who are so kind with their insight.
all the best
cheers

Sounds good. Remember there are people about who would have you believe that towing anything bigger than an 8' popup with anything smaller than a Peterbuilt 579 is just asking for trouble.

keymastr said:
That truck will work but the Ram 1500 has the softest suspension of all the 1500 trucks. It would be fine for that trailer but the small v8 will work harder and use more fuel. A Ford Eco-boost would be a better choice or for that small of a trailer the Ram Eco-diesel would be better economy wise.

This is because most people who buy a truck want it to ride like a car. Some of these Rams come with P rated tires. Mine did and when my wife loaded it with hay she complained about the squishy ride. I just got rid of those tires and put on E rated LT tires. A world of difference. It is not a fix for towing payload but there is a difference in the ride. We towed a popup from Chicago to Dallas area last fall with those P rated tires and even with the light weight of the pup you could feel the thing swaying. Just finished a trip last week with the new tires and the pup and not a single issue.

I have a '14 Ram 1500 Hemi and I pull a 4800 # TT without issue. I have a 8 speed tranny that is wonderful. You should be OK with your rig. Just do what other posts tell you, i.e, check numbers on door jam of truck and dry weight and fully loaded capacity of what you are pulling. Just hook so the truck and RV are level as possible.

better yet, start a chat with Dodge at the link below, have your VIN handy, they'll tell you exactly what your capacity is as there are many different ways to build a "1500"

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom