We are horrible at backing into our site!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilsonbubba

We are very bad getting into our site. It's embarrassing and frustrating. First he tries and I direct, then visa versa, by the end I'm pulling my hair out! Any tips on learning this, or do we just have to keep practicing?  Are there good classes or videos you can recommend?

The trick is...get to your site early when there is nobody around to watch you back in.

If no one is watching you will get it right the first time.

If there are 10 people watching you'll be there a half hour trying to park it.

At least that's been my experience.

You want to guide the rear wheels to where you want them to go, while making sure the rear of the RV doesn't hit anything.

RVs have long rear overhangs,  so the rear bumper will swing back and forth quite a bit as the RV changes its direction while backing up, depending on which way the body of the RV is pointing.  If you guide the backing based on where the back end of the RV is going you'll be all over the place.  Watch the track of the rear tires instead and guide them to where you want to end up.

What kind of RV do you have, motorhome, 5th wheel or pull trailer?

Practice, practice and more practice. Take your RV to a huge parking lot and just practice. Maybe purchase a set of walkie talkies for better communications.

Are we talking about a trailer? If so, TT or 5W?  The techniques are different.  And long trailers behave somewhat differently than short ones, due to the increased distance between the hitch and the trailer axles. Longer is actually easier to maneuever, although they need more room overall.

One tip: Generally you begin a backing turn with a lot of steering input, i.e. you crank the steering wheel quite a bit to get the trailer started into a turn (this is especially true for a 5W). But then you quickly have to reduce the amount of steering wheel turn so that you don't over-steer. Once the trailer is turning in the direction you want to go, you want to "follow" the trailer once it begins to make its  turn, which means actually turning the steering wheel the opposite way.  The timing of when to shift from "turn" to "follow" is critical and takes practice, practice, practice!

It will come with practice and experience.  Get to your site early, as others have said, especially if you're going on holiday wknds.  When picking a site get one that is angled off of the road instead of one that has a 90 degree turn into it.  Avoid sites that may have an obstruction close to the entrance, i.e. trees.  Take your time when backing in.  There's no extra points on time.  And remember when assisting with backing; if you can't see the operator in the mirror they can't see you.

And I have found it helpful to "set yourself up" for your intended position. To do that, lets say you are on a typical straight road with campsites on each side. Identify which side your spot is on as you approach. Lets say your spot is on the right (passenger side) of the road.  I approach the site hugging the right side of the road. As the site is about to the front bumper of the vehicle, I start to angle the rig towards the opposite side of the road and keep pulling forward slowly. After the rear end of the RV (MH or trailer) is about 10' past the site, I want the RV to be on about a 30 to 45 degree angle  to my site, basically blocking the whole road. 

Now you are already half way through your turn before you ever start backing up. Now with your spotter standing on the corner of the site closest to you, start backing while watching the rear tires on your rig (lets say trailer) like Gary says.  When the rear tires are at about the corner of the your site where your spotter is, now start cranking hard to get  your RV to start moving into the site.

Just like Gary says, with a trailer you will turn the steering wheel all the way at first to get the trailer moving, then as the back end comes around, take about half of the turns out of the steering wheel. That will get the rig heading into about the center of your site.

Keep pulling back slowly, while your spotter is watching for obstructions like trees, picnic benches, and utilities. I like to put the trailer all the way back in as far as I can go, then make the adjustments in the site by going back and forth with smaller movements after you are in the site.  Remember, you don't have to be perfectly in the site first time. Just get it in, and then adjust for straightening it or moving it left or right.

Always use a spotter, radios or phones are a good  way to communicate, or clear, slow hand signals. And always tell the spotter, remember  to  look UP! Trees have a way of jumping out in your way when backing.  As you practice more, the better you will get.  Don't worry, we ALL had to learn to back up at one point, so don't be embarrassed while you learn. 

The biggest problem my wife and I have is she can't see straight! Literally ::) We have a quarter acre empty lot next to the house. We normally keep the trailer next to the lot where the house is. I moved it to the far side of the empty lot a couple of weeks ago, over next to the neighbors Leyland Cypress trees. I followed her directions, and lined up where she directed me, and stopped where she said we were good. I got out of the truck and the front of the trailer was over towards our house by about 6'. She says "it looks straight with the trees to me". Needless to say, that doesn't help the problem any. She won't drive and let me guide her either, she insists I drive. When we go back to camphosting next month, the site we are assigned to is a really tight fit. There are two trees and a yield sign across the fairly narrow road from the site. With the slides and awning, I have about 6" side to side to be in due to trees on our site. The spare tire ends up about 1 1/2" from a tree in the back to keep the hitch a decent distance from the road. If I'm too far towards the driver's side, we can't open the slide without hitting the post that protects the pedestal, and more than 6" away from the pedestal with the slide open, we can't get the awning fully out. I think I will get my BIL to guide again this year. We have found out with the trees and sign across the road, it's easier to get it in as close as possible, unhook and line truck up from the other side to finish getting it oriented properly on the site. And that was with a truck 18" shorter than what I have now.

Another important thing is for the driver and the spotter to have a agreed-upon system for giving directions. Hollering NO!! or TURN! won't cut it.  Both the driver and the sp[otter need to use and understand the same signals, whether verbal or hand.  Generally, the spotter should tell the driver where the back of the RV needs to go, not what to do with the steering wheel. The driver is in charge of the steering and brakes, the spotter is in charge of positioning only. The spotter points to or says what direction the RV needs to move, and the driver figures out how to do that. Four basic signals, plus a few safety rules, make the task both easier and less stressful.

The About RVing website has developed an excellent video describing the system that most experts recommend.

http://aboutrving.com/hand-signals-for-backing-up-your-rv/

Or this text article: http://www.aboutrving.com/rv-topics/hand-signals-for-backing-your-rv/

What Lou said:
You want to guide the rear wheels to where you want them to go, while making sure the rear of the RV doesn't hit anything....If you guide the backing based on where the back end of the RV is going you'll be all over the place.  Watch the track of the rear tires instead and guide them to where you want to end up.

Plus:
  • Get out of the rig and plan where you want those rear wheels to go before moving an inch. Driver watches the wheels primarily and the corners of the rig secondarily. Helper watches and comments on only the corners of the rig.

• Keep thinking and go as slowly as you need to go to keep your mind ahead of where the rig is.
  • There are no prizes for backing in fast,  and no penalties for going slow.

• If you get into in a position that you didn't see coming, you went too fast and your mind got behind the rig. No big deal. Pull back out and start over.

• It's not about about your value as a human being. It's only about moving a big box.

• Accept that some spots are easier for certain types of rig to get into than others.

This isn't how I learned
but I like the idea of finding an empty parking lot, as Gary and others suggested
find one without the front wheel stopper bumps in the spaces, so that you can use the painted lines as lanes

start by  lining yourself up in a lane.....making sure you can see along side both sides of the trailer through the side mirrors..... you are in a lane, so using your mirrors you can see painted lines (or some other landmarks) along both sides of the trailer, and extending beyond behind it...
Also be sure you can see the trailer tires in the mirrors, both sides.  You might need to lean a bit to see them, but be sure you can

now, learn to trust your mirrors
by just slowly backing up along that lane.
over and over till you develop the site picture

Now, start making slight turns.
When the wheel gets to the spot on the line you want to miss, start turning.... actually you'll lead the turn just a bit before the wheel gets there.
start with slight turns and work up to 90 degree turns

Go SLOW
and learn to trust the mirrors.

I can imagine if you practice like this enough in a parking lot you'll develop the sight picture and develop your confidence pretty quickly.

I'm still not very good at backing the trailer up, but I'm getting better as I use it more. Two things that were told to me that have helped immensely were the following:

Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and turn it in the direction you want to trailer to move.

And most importantly, remember that backing up is spelled S*L*O*W

I travel alone in a small 5th wheel which because of the length, immediately wants to jackknife, so it has taken some time to get used to...

Since I am alone, no spotter, I use a bright green pool noodle and walk the site first and lay the pool noodle where I want the drivers side trailer wheels for position...then I slowly work my trailer to that position and sometimes it takes several tries to get it exact...

Practice makes perfect after 5 years I am much, much better...

Good Luck,

Jim

Long story short, keep practicing!  Start with your hand at the bottom of the wheel, and then (while backing SLOWING) move the steering wheel with hand going the direction you want the trailer to turn.  You are actually backing/steering the tow vehicle the OPPOSITE way that you want the trailer to go.  Then straighten out the wheel when the trailer gets to the backwards curving angle you want.  Most of this doesn't make any sense when typed out / reading in words, you've just gotta do it more and more to understand the directional physics (if that's the right term!)...

Here's a helpful video from one of the RV-related Youtube channels (LongLongHoneymoon) that I follow: How to Back Up a Travel Trailer

And a shorter video of their backing set-up technique: THE SCOOP: How to Back Up a Towable RV

I don't have any real-life campground experience yet, but I've been practicing parking my Class C in various places around the yard.  I'd love to trust my mirrors, but I don't really know what I'm looking at.  For me, what helps is just getting out of the motorhome and seeing where I am.  At first, I'd back up about 3 feet and then I'd get out and see where the back wheels are and look at the tracks and figure out exactly where I'm headed.  Now, I can back up about 15 feet at a time, and I'm learning to understand the mirrors.  I don't know if I can use this technique at a campground with people watching, but it sure works at home!

GOAL - Get Out And Look. That's a good habit to get into.

If you want to take it to the next level, or just have some fun, Google "truck rodeo course" for ideas. Find an empty parking lot, set up a course using some water bottles and have at it. Run it forward and backwards, change it up when you've got it down. Practice really does make a difference, and you won't be worried about spectators at a campground.

Many very good "rules"

If you can not see your spotter in your mirror, STOP!  Do not move until you can see them again.  (wigpro excepted)

Back
Top Bottom