Another unfortunate Grizzly encounter in West Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
Just saw this, wanted to pass it along.  Be careful out there!

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/bear-kills-mountain-biker-near-west-glacier/article_89cd1f02-3e57-11e6-9318-63787aeb876e.html

Ummm...I hate to nitpik...but this was West Glacier, MT...not West Yellowstone, Sarge. The two are about 400 miles apart.  8)

Still...the overall point is still valid. Wildlife can be dangerous...and can pop up unexpectedly.

A few years ago  I was mountain biking down a trail in Vermont when a couple of black bear cubs appeared about 50 feet in front of me.  I knew better than to get any closer so I stopped. A couple of minutes later their mom appeared on the trail...  Behind Me!  She was not pleased when she saw me and realized I was between her and her cubs and started down the trail after me. I took off riding right past the cubs.  She chased me until just out of site of her cubs and stopped. I kept going.  Good thing it was downhill.

The intel I have is the ran into each other on a blind trail at a high speed and had not seen or heard the other until the collision.  Park service took that into consideration along with the fact no feeding took place and they called off the search for the Bear.

Man that's scary stuff. I was hesitant to jog in the forest trail while in Yellowstone just for that reason. I don't have anything against bears, I just don't want  to "run" into one unexpectedly. 

Usually if you only see adult bears, they will keep it moving...it's when you encounter cubs you know you are in real danger because Momma is somewhere real close and she's already seen you.

Old Radios, that was a close call!! I've never run into a black bear up close like that...luckily I've been in a vehicle every time I've seen them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom