Cable TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albertm1960

Having Verizon coming out to hook up RV.  I have tow TV's in it and notice that theres no place for cable box and wires for it.  Seems whole system is connected together in RV with a slot outside for cable wire.  Does RV system run different then house where you would use cable boxes for each TV? Maybe just use TV's remote.  But i think you need box to scramble system? Would like to find out before they come.  Guys on the phone for Verizon don't know at all.  Maybe there's a way I''m supposed to ask for it differently then house.  Thanks

Awfully hard to have enough cable to follow behind you when you decide to move.  Consider satellite TV instead.
To answer your basic question, houses and RVs are basically the same.  Box goes between the coax outlet behind and the TV.  Then, you connect a piece of coax between the RV and cable box.

I'm actually living in it while we lift house. No traveling.  But yourright, satilite may be better.  TV in living room seems unmovable, its set in TV hole and I can't figure how to get it out.  Doesnt budge, no screws??? Wierd.

The coax jack on the outside of the RV will feed both tvs through a splitter.  The problem is the cable box (decoder). You can't leave it outside in the rain!  Somewhere inside your RV there is probably a cabinet that houses some more equipment, e.g. a video switch, maybe a DVD, etc. If there is room, the cable box can go in there. It will have coax in from the outside jack, and out to the tvs.  However, you may have trouble with the remote for the cable box - some of them require a direct "line of sight" between remote and box. You point the remote at the cable box, not at the tv.

Hard to be more specific without more details on what you now have. Cable tv installers seldom have much experience with RVs and a few may refuse to work on them at all.

If you can somehow get your cable company to connect to the coax jack on the outside of your trailer, you should be able to use your cable boxes from your home.
You just need to run the coax cable from the inside wall coax jack (located close to your TV's) to the cable box then coax to your TV.
You might also be able to disconnect the coax cable from where it connects at your home, get a coax coupler and then buy enough coax to reach your trailer. A box at each TV and your set.

Another way to go would be to discontinue your cable and go with Dish. Buy a Tailgater portable Satellite and receiver which you can take with you when you use your trailer. Tailgater is 350.00, receiver is 100.00 and monthly cost for the tailgater is 7.00 with Dish, but you need to subscribe to Dish for your home otherwise it's not practical. The subscription is cheap for the first year and high after that.

Stan

donuts said:
Another way to go would be to discontinue your cable and go with Dish. Buy a Tailgater portable Satellite and receiver which you can take with you when you use your trailer. Tailgater is 350.00, receiver is 100.00 and monthly cost for the tailgater is 7.00 with Dish, but you need to subscribe to Dish for your home otherwise it's not practical. The subscription is cheap for the first year and high after that.

Be careful with what you're buying. There was another post today talking about Direct and Dish making some changes soon. 

I can see where they hook it on the outside of trailer.  I guess I''l have one box that runs both tv's so I will browse on main set and pick channel if I want bedroom set??  No tv surfing for a while..lol... there bringing two boxes in case, we'll see what they/we do Monday. Thanks all.

donuts said:
If you can somehow get your cable company to connect to the coax jack on the outside of your trailer, you should be able to use your cable boxes from your home.
You just need to run the coax cable from the inside wall coax jack (located close to your TV's) to the cable box then coax to your TV.
You might also be able to disconnect the coax cable from where it connects at your home, get a coax coupler and then buy enough coax to reach your trailer. A box at each TV and your set.

Stan
My unit already has a dish on it, so if monday doesnt work out with Verizon I'm good to go as long as Dish changes That Rene posted doesnt effect it.

Satellite dishes are usually configured to work with either the Dish service or Direct TV, so you would need to know which one you have,  then get the matching satellite receiver, and subscribe to the service.

Update. Had great cable guy.  Hooked cable to outside where water is. Runs both tv's.  Spent a lot of time getting router wire in without drilling holes though. That was the tricky part. But he found a way.  All boxes are hidden with a "eye" he put on tv and runs to box, the eye works with remote. Never saw one of those.  All good now. ps, the dish I thought I had ontop was just an attenea (spelling?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom