generator operating times at some campgrounds ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T

TonyDtorch

I know they restrict the operation of generators at some campgrounds to not after 8pm and before 10am for peace and quiet time....do they also prohibit start-up times ?

nothing says 'Good morning' like a diesel warm-up.

Typically no. But if you rig is smoking or noises you may be asked to shut it down... But if your warning it up to leave what are they going to.do.ask you to leave...

Gary RV Roamer said:
Most parks designate "quiet hours", where you are expected to refrain from any and all untoward noise. Including gensets. Often something like 9 pm to 7 am.
I would consider before 7am as just common courtesy,  but at Doheny state beach the noise rule is 10am.

10am would be a late departure to many people.

With today's modern diesel engines there is no reason to "warm up" an engine. If you have air brakes, but the time the air builds up you are ready to roll. Unless the campground you're staying at is right at the interstate, but the time you drive to the interstate the engine will be up to operating temps.

"Warming up" a diesel in a campground does nothing but irritate your fellow campers and waste diesel fuel.

I don't believe starting your engine and immediately departing would violate "quiet hours".

you may be right AK,

sometimes the diesels are just gone, ...and other times you're hoping they'll just hurry up and go.

Diesel owners who like long warm ups need to do a google search on "wet stacking diesel" to see what they are actually doing to their engine.

running a generator in a campground is inconsiderate, period

why on earth would you when there's a power pedestal beside you

ive been beside big rigs that ran their genset all day and night, we leave and tell the management why

stevem said:
running a generator in a campground is inconsiderate, period

why on earth would you when there's a power pedestal beside you

ive been beside big rigs that ran their genset all day and night, we leave and tell the management why

There are campgrounds with no power, or even hookups of any kind. Not all have full hookups or even electric. Makes it hard to find that power pedestal.

Larry N. said:
There are campgrounds with no power, or even hookups of any kind. Not all have full hookups or even electric. Makes it hard to find that power pedestal.
Some of the best 'older' CA state campgrounds in the middle of the Redwoods or on the best beaches have no power and a water spigot every other space,... it's more like old school romantic camping under the stars stuff.
a few have power/water and dump stations, very few ever have sewer hookups.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
With today's modern diesel engines there is no reason to "warm up" an engine. If you have air brakes, but the time the air builds up you are ready to roll. Unless the campground you're staying at is right at the interstate, but the time you drive to the interstate the engine will be up to operating temps.

I agree that just letting the engine idle away isn't a necessary "warm-up" - however, for many of us the time between start-up and being ready to roll is longer than simply seeing the air pressure build.  For example - my manual says that the motor needs to be running before pulling in the slides and/or raising the hydraulic levelers.  Once air pressure has up and the coach is at ride height - I pull in the slides and bring up the hydraulic levelers.  Once the levelers are up ... I need a minute to make a lap around the rig to make a visual inspection to ensure the levelers are in fact up ... and that the slides / slide toppers closed properly, etc.  We do everything we can do prior to starting the engine - but still need 5-6 minutes of idle time to let pressure build, bring in slides, raise levelers, perform a final inspection before rolling.  Then once in the in the road - there's another couple of minutes to hook up the toad, check the lights and roll out.

Idling aimlessly in a campground is bad form - but, there is some idle time necessary to before many of us are ready to roll.  I get irritated when I see somebody sitting there idling aimlessly - but as long as it looks like somebody is moving with a purpose - hey, we all gotta do what we gotta do. 

Even no-hookup campgrounds and BLM lands have the quiet hours Gary mentioned.  Some national parks without hookups have "generator campgrounds" and "no-generator campgrounds" and the generator campgrounds have quiet hours.  Each location is different, but these days there are few places that don't have a list of rules and usually one of the first addresses quiet hours.

ArdraF

One reason to run the generator while hooked to shore power is when you have access to ONLY 30amp service and it's like 90+ degrees and you need to run the 2nd AC for a period of time during the afternoon to keep the RV below 90 on the inside.  We've done that 4-5 times this summer due to higher heat temps in the western NY area this summer.  On a side note we due use and exhaust stack to put the fumes and noise up and out of the way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom