Sway bar noisy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ontuy

Good evening!

We have wight distribution bars and a sway bar on our travel trailer.  The sway bar creaks and makes so much noise it is embarrassing.  Any thoughts on how to quiet it down?

The WD hitches are notoriously loud, and have been for years!  Part of the issue is they depend on some friction for the anti sway to work properly, and grease would defeat this.

What brand hitch do you have?  What weight rated bars are you using?
With this info, people smarter than me can offer better help.

You need to say what hitch you have, a photo will do.

If it is a common friction sway bar, pull it apart and clean the bar with course steel wool, and then the entire unit with soap and water.

The weight distribution torsion bars will be noisy - it's part of how they work.  The friction anti-sway device should not make noise.

You can clean the WD bars but do not lubricate them unless the owner manual specifically calls for it. Most will say no lubing.

This is the whole set up.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/husky-round-bar-weight-distributing-hitch-package/65199

I will try the steel wool and soap and water.  I may try the next trip without the sway bar and see what happens as well.

OK, now we know what you have.  In addition to cleaning the friction surfaces, grease the hitch ball, the two small balls for the sway bar and the sockets for the spring bars.  Wheel bearing grease will work fine.  Use only a film of grease on the small balls so that you don't get any on the friction surfaces.

Yeap, that Husky hitch says to lubricate the round end of the bars, where they insert into the hitch head. I think this manual applies to yours - pg 16 is Maintenance.
http://assets.rigidhitch.com/hitch_instructions/31995.pdf

I dunno, we had Eaz-Lift system way back when and the friction control always creaked and popped. Never even gave it a moment's thought as others who had similar setup as ours also creaked.

Thanks for the information.  We received very limited instruction.  I did grease the hitch balls.  Just surprised by how noisy the sway bar was.  Guess I learn to live with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom