Things you miss from sticks and bricks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey All,
We are starting our 2nd month as newbie full timers and the itch of missing things, while small, has begun. What things do ya'll miss?

Wife and I had different ideas but we definitely agree on our garden and our fridge.

We put this short video together on our blog for ya'll.
All the best.

CLV3

We have been fulltiming 8 1/2 years now and once we got a MH with a residential frig and my own washer and dryer there is little to miss!!! Over the years, the memories of places we have been and friends we have made on this forum are priceless.  Stuff, to me, is just that, stuff. But  I know that it is harder for many folks to get rid of possessions, and I respect that.
  Give it more time and I think you will start to realize that you miss some of this less and less.  If not, then time for another house.. 
Sheila

We fulltimed 5 years before we purchased a stick house again, but sometimes we wonder why?  Back to the mortgage, property taxes, maintenance, utilities, home owners insurance.........  We often talk of selling and going back full time. It is such a more carefree lifestyle. 

We live about 5 months/year in the coach, so have both it and a modest stick house (a bungalow). We don't miss much, and our lifestyle isn't really any different at all.

What we like most about the stick house:
1. My 12x20 workshop and bench-type power tools (I'm an avid DIY type!)
2. Nancy is a gardener and lawn decorator and misses the larger space for her efforts
3. The car port on rainy or hot sun days, and ease of washing the car in the driveway
4. Faster internet!
5. More counter space in the kitchen
6. More space to leave projects that are "in-progress" lying about.

I think it's great you are documenting your journey with videos, but I have some advice. There is a lot of good information in them (I watched two), but they are just too long and go off point too much. If you could stay on point and make them shorter, I would definitely be more interested in them.

Just my opinion!

BTW, you mention in the video that you are in Florida. Where abouts? The campground in your trailer review video looks nice and we are always looking for nice places to travel around Florida. We are in Tampa Bay.

Chris

We are about to close on our S&B as sellers, so will be truly homeless shortly. Well except for a nice rig with washer dryer, residential fridge and full size range. We aren't missing much but my wife loves small gardening so we travel with a nice assortment of small plants which she tends and are now even growing our own herbs.

I miss auto racing, but not much I can do about that. But what I don't miss is the mortgage, taxes, upkeep and the constant view and neighbors. I much more like the mobility of RV living and the tremendous folks you meet. Its a great lifestyle!

Moebius said:
I think it's great you are documenting your journey with videos, but I have some advice. There is a lot of good information in them (I watched two), but they are just too long and go off point too much. If you could stay on point and make them shorter, I would definitely be more interested in them.

Just my opinion!

BTW, you mention in the video that you are in Florida. Where abouts? The campground in your trailer review video looks nice and we are always looking for nice places to travel around Florida. We are in Tampa Bay.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Good feedback we are still learning videos, most folks are saying anything over 5 minutes is too long.

We are in the panhandle right now, there are dozens of rv parks around here. The one we are at now, while looks nice is literally infested with black widows and you bake in the sun. I would recommend Santa Rosa RV park or my favorite Henderson State Park in Destin. There is another rv park in Destin where you can literally park on the beach, (I'll look up name) but we haven't been there...yet.

Sold everything and rent the house out. Do not miss a thing.

cestlaviethree said:
... There is another rv park in Destin where you can literally park on the beach, (I'll look up name) but we haven't been there...yet.

I'm guessing that would be Camp Gulf RV ... we stayed there for a very short stay (3-4 days) in February of this year.  You can't get any closer to the beach that one of their "front row" beach spots ... BUT be prepared for sticker shock!  Daily rate for those sites is over $100 a night.  We sprang for the short stay simply because my wife loves the beach and I wanted to be certain she ended our trip to Florida on a high note. 

Thing I miss: STORAGE

Things I do not miss: Taxes. Gas/ELectric Bill, Water/Sewer bill, Raking leaves, Mowing lawn, Shoveling snow.

And much much more.. I do not miss them at all, Not one bit.

I really miss the Hottie from next door coming over most nights to have a glass or six of wine while her husband worked mass hours and went to the tavern with his buddies after work till closing time.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

Bill and Debbie said:
We are about to close on our S&B as sellers, so will be truly homeless shortly. Well except for a nice rig with washer dryer, residential fridge and full size range. We aren't missing much but my wife loves small gardening so we travel with a nice assortment of small plants which she tends and are now even growing our own herbs.

I miss auto racing, but not much I can do about that. But what I don't miss is the mortgage, taxes, upkeep and the constant view and neighbors. I much more like the mobility of RV living and the tremendous folks you meet. Its a great lifestyle!

You will be "house less" not "homeless"  :)

Yes,  counter space and internet speed....but one thing I really miss each and every day,  Real toilet paper.  8)

TonyDtorch said:
Yes,  counter space and internet speed....but one thing I really miss each and every day,  Real toilet paper.  8)

I don't understand the real TP part. We use Cottonelle Ultra because that's what DW likes. It certainly won't pass a "dissolve in an hour" test. We stay in the camper for various lengths of time from just a weekend, a week, or months at a time and have no problems with the black tank. Just use a sensible amount of water when flushing, and flush it well with the black tank flushing system after dumping. We also use it at the S&B with a standard septic system. No problems there either, and that septic system is 60 years old. We had it pumped after 3 years as a general purpose thing and the guys said the system looked good and was working well.

SargeW said:
Somehow I don't think those words can ever be used in the same sentence!
:)
I guess I should have said data. When we lived in a S & B we only needed 5GB of data, now we use about 24GB.

TonyDtorch said:
Not to start the whole TP thing again, but we've been using Charmin for 2-1/2 years no problem.

"fast, reliable, and inexpensive internet."
"Somehow I don't think those words can ever be used in the same sentence!"

Agree Sarge. I think it one of those cases where you can have any two of the three.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom