Dometic Door Awning Parts Resource

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emiddleb

This is an FYI post to help others with getting parts for their A&E/Dometic door awnings (perhaps for large patio awnings too.)

Background - my 2003/4 vintage door awning (Dometic Oasis Elite model 974xxx) wouldn't close due to a failure of a connection/part between the motor and the roller.  Unlike other versions that have a pin, mine had a "D" shaped rod and receiver that turned the awning and the aluminum "D" shaped receiver in the roller had broken.  Image attached.

Many searches, many phone calls always came back with the same answer... part no longer available, can't fix, must buy new $1000+ door awning.  One awning shop even put me on hold while they called Dometic, same answer... part no longer in stock, must replace awning.

A bit more digging came up with a surprising fact... A&E/Dometic does not actually make the awnings.  They buy them from a company called "Fiamma" (Italian, with U.S. subsidiary) and slap their label on them, and then in turn supply them to Winnebago.  A quick check on their website (www.fiammausa.com) and an email to their parts/support group came back "sure, we have the part, this is what you need, $75 plus shipping and here's the part diagram for your awning (PDF included.)"

So if you ever need to repair your awning parts this is the way to go.  Appears they also have the motors and other parts and are far more helpful and less expensive than Dometic.  Two big thumbs up!

Edit by staff - reduced image size

Attachments

• AwningDometic1020.jpg
    AwningDometic1020.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 34
Great find Ed!  It's sad that Dometic decided to drop support for the door awning even though parts are available.  There must be thousands of those awnings still in service, I've been waiting for mine to croak.

Edit - added link to this thread in our Winnebago and Chassis Resources thread sticky.

I also purchased the part from Fiamma $75.  Dometic offered to help, for $1000 they wanted to sell me a new awning!!!

The part from Fiamma pulls out from the unit no special tools are needed but its very tight.

On my 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD the awning over my entry door failed to retract.  The problem is that the hard "D" shaped motor shaft stripped out the softer "pot metal" end on the awning roller.  And with no parts available on the market, I elected to fix the problem by cutting an access corridor in the plastic cover plate, then drilling a hole in both the outer shaft and the motor shaft, and then I used a "compression pin" for 30 cents.... plus 2 hours of my time. And I think Fiamma should have designed it this way!  Here's a link to my post on www.IRV2.com:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/one-lucky-fix-a-and-e-oasis-electric-entry-door-awning-for-30-cents-model-974-a-349014.html#post3693945

What I would like to know from the community is this:  Where can we find a replacement motor for this awning or for the larger awning too?  My hope is that other automobile manufactures used this same motor.
If so, then we might be able to go to Napa or Auto Zone for a motor problem.

Welcome!

Pull the motor and look for a part number on it (and search on the number) and/or take to an auto parts store. Chances are great the motor is/was used in something else.

I have seen that motor/gear box assembly (Rachael had it in her hands) I don't think you are going to find a replacement at Auto-Zone.. But I could be wrong.

Camping World is, or at least Was, the authorized over-charger for Dometic parts  But that was pre-LCI, don't know who does it now or if they still do.

Had to order an LG part (Well the door says DOMETIC, but the box (Microwave) was made by Lousy Good... Er, Lucky Goldstar.. IT's not part GE, part ME and works, but from the factory not a chance).

Back
Top Bottom