12v issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisinkanata

We have a 2014 Grand Design 5th wheel. It's our 5th trailer and the first with this issue....when I plug the trailer into the truck, I don't get the 14 or so volts that the truck is generating while running. The panel will indicate 75% voltage (approx), yet when plugged into shore power, full on 100%, no prob. It's not a panel indicator issue because on the Level Up controller, it will indicate 12.5v (or something in that area) when plugged into the running truck. This is the first trailer we've had that does this. The others have reflected truck voltage when plugged into it. If we spend a day driving like today, it'll start out at 13.8v when unplugged from shore and be at 11.8v at the end of the drive. I've confirmed that I'm getting full truck voltage at the junction box in the pin box on the trailer.  And that is wired directly to the trailer battery. I am totally missing something here.  Any thoughts????

Chris
2014 Ram 3500DRW CTD Crew Cab
2014 Grand Design 337RLS

The way I understand it, while plugged into shore power, you'll always have the indicators say fully charged because they monitor the output of the converter. Mine always indicate fully charged. If I unplug from shore power and close the slides, that's when they indicate what the battery truly is.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Yup, that's right but when plugged into the truck, should it not reflect that voltage?  It has on every other trailer we've had.

It would, if the truck and the trailer are wired that way. There is a pin on a standard 7-pinRV plug assigned for bringing +12v from truck to trailer, but the truck end has to be wired to provide it and the trailer to accept it. Did your Dodge ever do this with another trailer?  It probably came from the factory with the fuse for +12v removed...

Easy check is to put a voltmeter on the top-left pin of the truck outlet and see what voltage you get there, if any.

Attachments

• 7-pin plug.jpg
    7-pin plug.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 16
Prior to this Ram, we had a GMC Duramax. Same deal. There are no missing fuse issues on the Ram. There is full truck voltage all the way to the junction box housed within the pin box on the trlr when it's plugged into the truck.  When I plug my buddies trlr into my truck, his trlr gets full truck voltage (14.2 or so while running). His trailer panel reads 100%. Not mine. So the issue's not in the truck.

chrisinkanata said:
Prior to this Ram, we had a GMC Duramax. Same deal. There are no missing fuse issues on the Ram. There is full truck voltage all the way to the junction box housed within the pin box on the trlr when it's plugged into the truck.  When I plug my buddies trlr into my truck, his trlr gets full truck voltage (14.2 or so while running). His trailer panel reads 100%. Not mine. So the issue's not in the truck.
Check your battery and connections. If the battery is bad, it could taking too much charge. What does the battery voltage read with a meter when not hooked to the truck or plugged in?

Back
Top Bottom