Boondocking with CPAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theboomanchu

We went camping for the first time in our new (to us) 5th wheel.  It has 2 solar panels (don't have the specs. for them in front of me) and a single 750 CCA deep cycle battery. 

I use a ResMed S9 CPAP, and before the camping trip, I discovered they have a 12v to 24v (the input voltage) power supply for it.  I purchased it and was a bit apprehensive that the battery would run it all night.  My fears no longer exist.  It was only a 2 night trip but the battery did well.  In addition, we were camping in the pines of the Black Hills, so had only partial sunlight to recharge the battery for the second night, and while quite low in the morning, it still ran the CPAP throughout the night. 

I will be installing a second (or maybe third) battery in parallel to make sure that the system will continue to provide power in the case of boondocking for a longer period with possibly blocked sunlight, overcast skies, etc. and to be able to use water pump and limited lights as well.

Just thought I'd share my experience in case there are those with concerns about this.  With the right setup there seems to be no problem.

Thanks for sharing Theboomanchu. My doctor has asked me to replace my current Phillips unit with a ResMed and I've not been too excited due to not running from 12V. it is good to hear that others are having success with this unit.  Do you happen to have the actual current draw of your unit?

I've been running my Phillips CPAP from battery for several years (full-timer) without any problems. Mine draws slightly less than 1 amp when running (without the humidifer) so a full night only draws about 8 amp-hours from the 440 amp-hour battery bank.  Overall, pretty insignificant load, in my case. 

I also use a Resmed S9.
Are you using the humidifier when boondocking?
When I had the tent trailer I used a DieHard 1100w jump starter.
It would run the cpap without the humidifier for three nights without recharging.
With the humidifier on, it would not last a night.
I have not yet used the cpap in the TT on battery power only.

I do have plans to install two 6v batteries so I don't have to be so dependant on hookups, so am curious how if you are getting these results with or without the humidifier.

I don't have the actual draw, but if if I recall correctly, the rated input current is 24 volts at 1.2 amps.  I can't verify the amperage right now as turning the light on while my dear wife is sleeping could cause some consternation,LOL.  If I can remember to check it after work tomorrow, I will let you know!

These results were without using the humidifier.  To my knowledge, you could still use the humidifier without any heat and still draw some moisture, and under those settings, I don't believe there would be any additional amperage draw.

Theboomanchu said:
These results were without using the humidifier.  To my knowledge, you could still use the humidifier without any heat and still draw some moisture, and under those settings, I don't believe there would be any additional amperage draw.

That's what I did.
I found that if I kept the water tank above the normal fill level, with the heat turned off I would still get some moisture.

To my knowledge, you could still use the humidifier without any heat and still draw some moisture, and under those settings, I don't believe there would be any additional amperage draw.
You are correct.  I've been doing this for years.  It does help.

That's how I've used my SPAP since '95  until I got my diesel 5 years ago with 4 coach batteries. I can also set my heat on the humidifier down to 1 on a 1-5 scale and uses almost no water in the summertime.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom