1983 winne brave 454 headers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toadman55551

Looking for wisdom on replacement  for cracked exhaust manifold. ...anyone put headers on? Thanks!

I had headers installed last year on my 96 454.  Not cheap but after replacing 3 manifolds in 6 months, well worth it.
The results are nothing short of amazing.  Each year I cross the North Cascades at least 4 times.  Coolant temps
always approached 240 plus degrees and I spent alot of time grinding away in second gear.  Since the header install
the temps are 30 to 40 degrees lower and the transmission stays in third longer.  On the big roads I can set the cruise
at 62 and not worry about downshifting on all but the biggest hills.  Gas mileage, to be true full, is about the same or
slightly less.  Probably due to the fact I drive more aggressively knowing I have the power and don't  worry about the temps.  Do it right and also install ceramic tip plug wires and you will be happy.  I had Stan's Headers installed.
Large tubes and a 3 1/2 inch collector for low end torque. 

Another vendor: Banks. I had. Dry good luck on a 460.  Noticeable increase in power (I think they claimed 35 hp, seemed about right) and I also got about 1/2 mpg increase.

The Chevy P30 motorhome chassis is supposed to have air deflectors on both sides of the engine to send cooling air past the exhaust manifolds and spark plug wires.  It's missing on some motorhomes so the cooling air exits through the wheelwell instead of cooling the spark plug wires and manifolds.

Here's a link to the P30 chassis service manual.  The deflectors are described on page 7-4.  The right hand deflector was missing on my 1993 Chevy motorhome, either the manufacturer didn't install it or someone removed it to improve service access to the spark plugs.

Be aware the complete manual is a fairly large download ... 18.9 MB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom