Help!!! Shattered window, (camper over cab)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Telstar Ranger

Been planning this trip for some time.  I get about 25 miles away from home, when I hear a strange noise- like a coke exploded in the fridge.  I pull over, and as I slow down bits of glass come raining over my windshield.  I decide to head back home.  I called one camper place and they tried to tell the window might have to be made. What is the quickest fix?  I am going to unscrew some bolts and see how the frame comes out.  I don't see why I could not just jig saw some wood and screw/ calk it in place for a week trip.  Advice.   

Plexi glass lexon.  Gosh I forgot about those!  I got the inner frame out, but I have no idea what to do next.  The inner frame does give me a template.  I was thinking of calking the plexglass/lexan/etc then scewing the inner metal frame over the plexi glass?

If it's a flat piece of glass with no curves it can be replaced with laminated windshield glass by most any competent glass shop. It doesn't have to be tempered glass. If the original had a tint they may even be able to closely match it with in stock glass. A glass shop in an industrial area is more likely to have a choice of tints available as they would be doing glass on heavy equipment such as front loaders and backhoes. It doesn't cost as much as some would expect and if it breaks during installation they eat it not you. Don't fuss about tempered vs laminated as they are both considered safety glass, tempered shatters into cubes so it won't cut you as you are ejected from the vehicle. Laminate shatters and the plastic internal layer tries to keep you from being ejected. If you want tempered and it's flat it can be made, I had 2 pieces made for my boat about 12 years ago. The green tint was closely matched and both pieces together were about $75, one piece even needed a hole for installing the original window handle. I did the templates and installation myself.

Bill

Telstar Ranger said:
Plexi glass lexon.  Gosh I forgot about those!  I got the inner frame out, but I have no idea what to do next.  The inner frame does give me a template.  I was thinking of calking the plexglass/lexan/etc then scewing the inner metal frame over the plexi glass?

You should be able to remove the outer frame at this point, use a plastic scraper to break it free from the sealant. Replace the sealant with butyl tape strip to install. Use Lexan polycarbonate, it's much stronger. Plexiglass will shatter much easier.

Bobmws said:
You should be able to remove the outer frame at this point, use a plastic scraper to break it free from the sealant. Replace the sealant with butyl tape strip to install. Use Lexan polycarbonate, it's much stronger. Plexiglass will shatter much easier.

I am thinking I do not have the skill set to pull this off.  I was pushing on the frame yesterday and it started to give.  I realized that I would have no way to install a new one alone.  I think I would need a scaffolding.  I am looking online but most info I find are for side windows.  I am going to Walt's RV parts and look for a replacement window.  If I can find a window I will then see if i can get someone to install it.

I also would not mind just getting rid of the window all together, but I wouldn't know how or where to turn for that.  The window is also curved.

Getting a window made to fit is easy enough, but it will take more than a week to get it done and delivered, let alone installed.

I would make a temporary for the upcoming trip, then work on a more permanent solution. If plywood is OK, go for that. If not, use lexan (plexiglass probably isn't strong enough to hold up at highway speeds). If you don't have the ladders and tools, maybe you can find a local handyman to do a quick fix.

A pick-up truck on either side with some 2x10 planks across their back ends can sometimes make do for a scaffold. If you can borrow the truck(s).

My temporary solution is corrugated plastic or plastic cardboard.  I made a template out of wood, but could not get the screws to line up.  So I used plastic.  I hope it will work, but if not it is at least a temporary solution to keep the moisture out.  I may use some cargo jacks to secure the wood template up against the plastic and some gorilla glue tape over  the top.  Maybe I'll post some pics.  Its so hot out there, dripping sweat.

I didn't get around to using the RV on my trip because it did not make sense to drive 600 plus miles then turn around in a day and come back.  So I called a local place and they won't even get to it for 3 weeks.  I feel I could make a lexan window and it would do just fine, its just getting it in and out that puzzles me. 

What an exercise in frustration!  TRYING TO MAKE A WINDOW OUT OF LEXAN.  I think I can make an okay substitute but if it aint one thing its another.  Trying to remove black goo adhesive from old broken window.  Another trip to the hardware store for what?  So much contradictory info on internet. 

At a recent RV show there was a company that does body repair. I got to talking about my Class C and some problem areas with it.

The gal said that they rebuild the over the cab structure a lot, and most customers don't replace the window. And a few even come in with undamaged RVs asking for the window to be removed and covered over.

I had a similar problem with one of the awning windows that I bought from heritage home design windows and doors http://www.heritagehomedesign.ca/. Never rush when dealing with a window problem, you could easily injure yourself. Take your time while removing glass shards and don?t jerk them free. Wear thick leather gloves whilst working with them. Use duct tape to pick up the shards that have fallen out of the window and wrap the edges of the shards still in the window with the tape before you remove the pieces. If the pieces are firmly fixed in the sash then brush the putty with linseed oil and let it sit for a few hours.This will soften the putty and make it easier to remove the shards, otherwise you might have to remove the dried putty with a wood chisel.

I did it! And just came back from a 1200 mile plus trip.  It held up to speeds of 75 mph.  I would like to have a real window put in, but its expensive and time consuming.  If I had my way I would just fill it in with bondo or something.  What is the point of these windows anyway? Fire escape?  help to feel less claustrophobia?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom