1977 frame extension.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akalima

K i just bought a 77 parkland tent trailer. My first camping trailer. Its in very good shape. The frame and flooring are solid. My question is if anyone has extended there frames. I want to extend either in the rear of front so that i can put my quad as i only have an suv. the trailer itself is a 12 footer and im guessing that i want to extend it about 4 feet. any advice would be much appreciated.
:)

Welcome to RVForum.net, akalima.

I doubt if the tent camper frame would stand the extra weight. And you would have to upgrade the axle(s) too, to carry the additional weight. You would be smarter to trade the SUV for a pickup (or full size van) to carry your quad.

How much does the quad weigh?

quad weighs 571 dry weight. I dont want to have to buy a pickup just because of the quad. The fram is solid square tubing. its 77 its built like a tank. im thinking to put it on the back and  roll back the axle to even out the weight

The quad plus the extension is going to add a thousand pounds, probably a 40-50% increase in trailer weight. What is the axle GAWR now? I doubt if it has 1000# extra capacity. You need an axle with heavier duty springs and probably larger tires too (larger at least in the sense of load range). What is the maximum weight carrying capacity of the tires (it's stamped on the sidewall).

I'm familiar with the box frame used on pop-ups back in those days - I owned a couple back in the early 70's.

I dont see how the tralier is gonna take 100% percent of that weight. The quad will only be on the trailer while im towing so the tow vehicle is gonna take a big chunk of that weight. If my thinking is wrong explain it to me. As for the trailer the only numbers i got of the serial number tag are as follows I gould not make out the letters in front of the numbers but the top number said 1794lbs and directly under that i was able to make out g something front at 1800lbs. As for the tires they are a 20.5x8.0-10. They have a load range c are tubless and have a 4 ply wall. The max load is 1105lbs at 50psi. The axle itself has no leafs its the torsion rubber mount things. I could always buy a bigger axle and tires for 200 and lift it up. I would also be able to move the axle to even out the weight.

Back
Top Bottom