Puppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many times!  I show dogs and travel extensively with mine.

I would definitely make sure the puppy has had at LEAST ONE Distemper/Parvo combo before going anywhere and I would not let the puppy's feet touch raw ground (use a camping " flow thru" type mat) until it has had at least two or more vaccinations. The fastest way to huge vet bills and the extreme sickness and possibly death of the pup is to let it get poisoned by ant/yard spray at rest areas or campgrounds or to contract parvo from being where an infected dog has come thru and gone potty.

Really, tho... People are not supposed to sell/give away puppies until they are 8 weeks old. Shame on whomever allowed this puppy to be taken from its mother before then!

Be careful and best of luck with your new puppy.

Dianne

HOW WONDERFUL!!!

I hope she becomes a real part of the family and gives you many years of joy and love.

Congratulations!

dpickard said:
Really, tho... People are not supposed to sell/give away puppies until they are 8 weeks old. Shame on whomever allowed this puppy to be taken from its mother before then!
I would not challenge that statement Dianne but we have had many puppies over the years and also kittens - NONE have been older than 6 weeks but one of the kittens planted itself at our front door at the tender age of 4 weeks with damage from obvious abuse.  I have to agree that 8 weeks would be more ideal but to put shame on someone who sold or gave away a pup at 6 weeks is rather extreme criticism.

Bill

Our last five week trip was based around being in a particular location so we could pick up a nine week old Collie puppy. We made sure most of the trip was concluded, having gone from SW Florida to Las Vegas, Arizona, Hot Springs, AR and St. Louis. We had only two more stops before heading home when we got the baby.

We had little to no problems with the pup. Before leaving on the trip, we purchased a used car carrier large enough to hold a beagle and kept the pup in it when sleeping or on excursions where the dogs could not go with us. We also had a 13 yr. old Sheltie with us. The biggest problem we had was getting the pup to sleep the first couple of nights. We made sure the pup had been wormed and given his first set of puppy shots by the breeder before we picked him up. We kept carpet mats down outside the coach where the puppy could play and do his business. The trip home was actually enjoyable with him.

I agree that no puppy should leave his mother until the age of at least seven or eight weeks. We got our Sheltie when he was less than five weeks old from a backyard breeder who wanted to dump the pups as fast as she could. This caused emotional stress with the pup, who bonded only with our female Aussie and made her his surrogate mother. It took him two years to bond with us. Eight weeks is a good age to separate the pup from the litter, especially if the breeder has been conscientious enough to socialize the pups before they are taken to their new homes. Be sure he has his puppy shots and has been wormed, and crate him when he is not being given the run of the coach. If you have chosen a three month old, you're probably doing the breeder a favor, since they are more difficult to sell than the babies. We got our last Collie when he was four months old and he turned out to be the best dog I have ever owned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom