EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: My 11 year old golden is frightend by the bottom step!  (Read 3112 times)

DickHutchings

• ---
My 11 year old golden is frightend by the bottom step!
« on: July 21, 2016, 03:34:50 PM »
My dog gets down to the bottom step and panics every time. I think if the movable step came out further or had some sort of extension on it, he would be alright. Anyone else had this problem and have a solution?
2016 Montana High Country 375 FL
For sale due to medical problems.

BoomerD

• ---
Re: My 11 year old golden is frightend by the bottom step!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
I don't have any solution, but our smallest rat dog, (half chihuahua/half yorkie) REFUSES to hit the bottom step on the way down. He'll use it going up...but not down. He jumps from the top step to the ground...ALWAYS. <shrug>
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »
I have a 2" high platform that I lay at the bottom step with the welcome mat (shoe wiper) on it, and that seems to convince my dog that he can safely use it as a launching or landing pad.   He can hardly lift his own weight on one lag anymore so he gets a little running start and does a two legged bunny hop up the steps.
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

robertusa123

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »
My dog got her claw stuck in the drain hole on my metal step once. And haven't steped on it since.  Try putting a pice of carpet on it
1996  26ft. 3 kids 2 dog and the wife too

bobcat12

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »
Is this a new behavior? We use a folding step stool at the bottom of the RV steps if it's too far to the ground. Seems to help. Could also be a color or texture issue, maybe use a rug or towel on the ground? Do treats inspire him to go? At 11 it could be a soreness issue going down the steps if it is new behavior.
Bobby and Cathy
Brio and McKenna the Newfs
Phoenix, AZ
2013 3611 Thor Outlaw

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 05:02:06 PM »
I'm probably way out in left field with this one but is it possible that the dog may be getting a electrical shock when he steps on the steps with his front paws and his back paws are still on the ground. May something to check.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

JW of Opechee Shores

• ---
  • Always ready to go
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 06:30:30 PM »
I use the yellow plastic interlocking blocks under the bottom step to get it solid and that way our dog is ok. Like yours he doesn't like it if the steps move.
F-350 7.3 PSD
Cameo 36FWS
Hooked up and ready to go always: Ok so I do need to stop at a rest area now and then:)

Saab guy

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 07:01:44 PM »
Hi We use a sliding ramp sold at petco for our two 13 year old labs and that seems to work fine

Bill

Dream Chasers

• ---
  • Be Brave - Take Risks - Nothing Beats Experience
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »
Our 6 yr old Yorkie also won't use the bottom step when exiting. She barely touches it going up. I think one time early on, she was going to fast out of the coach, step was still moving and scared her. We never thouhht other dogs would be the same way, since she is skittish about new stuff.
Sheryl & Bobby and Roxie the Yorkie
Polk City, Florida
2015 Forest River Berkshire 34QS
2011 Honda CRV SE

OLDRACER

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 11:20:31 PM »
Well, if one human year is seven dog years, that Golden and I are running about equal. I know there are days when that step is hard on me too, so I have a 6" platform to ease things down.

Us old dogs need a little help now and again!

Buckeye4692002

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 03:06:46 PM »
Neither our 4 nor 5 yr old Golden will use the bottom step.  We thought perhaps they couldn't see it well enough, so we put colored tape on it... no help.  Then we tried grip tape thinking they might be slipping... wouldn't touch it. 
Now, I just thing they're conspiring to make me crazy searching for a solution!  To date, I haven't found anything that has helped.
2009 Damon Daybreak 3370

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 11:22:01 AM »
We also use a folding ramp.  Our 13 year old Golden uses the ramp and the 8 yr old still uses the steps(she's fearless about some things).
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

AtlantaBrave

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 01:32:20 PM »
This thread is interesting.  Our 10-year-old golden is terrified of the bottom step as well.  We thought she was the only one.  Who knew?
Bob

Atlanta, Georgia
2016 Winnebago Brave 27B

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »
Steps on motor homes often "Give" a bit when weight is added.. This might be the problem.

I do not recommend it for other reasons (Which do not apply in my case at the moment) but R stor4es sell a device

Two flat plates oh, about 4" square with a shaft (Threaded) between them, YOu unscrew till it's the right height and it provides support for the step.

The Problem: Heaven forbid something happens that causes a jack to retract.. (I've been known to accidently do that while working under the dash) this is going to mangle the blazes out of your steps

Why it does not apply to me:  No jacks, sitting on jack stands,  solid steel, no electrical retract, Must hand remove.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 07:30:54 PM »
I'm thinking that the problem might be that to you it's a step but to a dog looking at it from 12-18 inches off the ground it's more like like a ladder.  And a dog that usually can't see where his/her back legs are might find ladders a little scary.

Real stairs have a kick panel and wouldn't seem so daunting.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:33:02 PM by 8Muddypaws »

Randy328

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 09:19:50 PM »
I'm thinking that the problem might be that to you it's a step but to a dog looking at it from 12-18 inches off the ground it's more like like a ladder.  And a dog that usually can't see where his/her back legs are might find ladders a little scary.

I was a K9 officer and took lots of training in dog behavior, and you are spot on. Open stairs are scary to many dogs and require supportive training to get them to overcome their fear.
2015 Ford F250
2016 KZ MXT2920
Bunch of motorcycles
German Shepherd "Qorkey"

Robert_B

• ---
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 11:23:31 AM »
Our 1 year old golden is not afraid of open steps going down but always pauses and prepares to go up. He won't use the steps at all if the portable folding step  is at the bottom. We have to move it or he won't go up or down. Our steps have carpet on them; the portable step does not.

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 03:41:23 PM »
I was a K9 officer and took lots of training in dog behavior, and you are spot on. Open stairs are scary to many dogs and require supportive training to get them to overcome their fear.

So possibly putting a backing sheet on the steps would give the dogs the visual they need to be comfortable?
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 05:35:53 PM »
Our 8 year old flies over them in either direction.  She's fearless except for paper bags, boxes, vacuum cleaners and other harmless stuff.  Funny girl.   ;)

DickHutchings

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 10:04:08 AM »
Wow, I forgot I posted this and forgot to turn on the Notify. Seems like I'm in good company!

Randy328

• ---
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 10:32:09 AM »
So possibly putting a backing sheet on the steps would give the dogs the visual they need to be comfortable?

Yes. Anything that blocks the view of all that open space. Going down is usually not an issue as they can see the steps, going up is the harder part.
2015 Ford F250
2016 KZ MXT2920
Bunch of motorcycles
German Shepherd "Qorkey"

Dream Chasers

• ---
  • Be Brave - Take Risks - Nothing Beats Experience
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »

Our Yorkie just doesn't  like going down. Up is no problem. We think she just like the "give" of the bottom step.
Sheryl & Bobby and Roxie the Yorkie
Polk City, Florida
2015 Forest River Berkshire 34QS
2011 Honda CRV SE

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 09:01:39 AM »
I agree with whoever said it was probably due to the bottom step giving a little bit. Our older dog had the same issue. We got a folding step stool, but it collapsed on him once and he refused to use it again. I got a small solid stool and he now has no problems.
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 09:17:47 PM »
Our 12yo (almost 13) lab/heeler mix can't figure out how to go up the trailer stairs... she hops to the first one, hesitates, and can't quite commit.  She goes down just fine as long as she can see the ground.  I think her eyesight has been diminishing for the last couple years, so I'm kinda surprised she goes down with ease.

My dog got her claw stuck in the drain hole on my metal step once.

I've been afraid of this for ours too, the way she pauses when trying to go up/in.  I usually just pick her up and set her inside, which she doesn't like either... but at least she gets there.  ;)
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

DickHutchings

• ---
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 01:28:42 PM »
I realized on my latest trip that if I dump my airbags, the bottom step is a lot closer to the ground and he seems to have less trouble with it. Bonus, it's easier on everyone. This is one cool feature.

Jwall62

• ---
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 09:09:05 PM »
My rat terrier has the same problem going up or down, my trailer is about 30" from the floor to the ground most times and she would always jump up and in and out without touching any stairs either way, she was afraid of them. I bought a 6' carpet runner and ran it all the way down from top to bottom as one piece, just like the stairs at home, she never thought twice about going up or down as soon as I did that. So, I think it's the open air behind the stairs that was freaking her out.
2016 Coleman 192RDS
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71

Old Radios

• ---
  • The Turtle - Our Harley Hauler
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 09:44:56 AM »

This is very true.  We recently built a two story garage for the RV and my lab would not go up the open staircase to the second floor.  I put a thin backing of plywood on the bottom side of the staircase and she immediately followed me up and down without any coaxing.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Custom Toad
2015 Harley Softail Deluxe Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

maddog348

• ---
  • Maddog & 'Sunny'
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 03:33:15 PM »
If I Had to go down stairs Nose 1st I would be cautious too !! ;D :o
Pam (a.k.a.-Maddog  (driver))
Kate (a.k.a.-One Eyed Old Lady {nagivator))

2 furry copilots ('Charlie' 15# Terrier/X &  'Bella' 10# Min.Schnauzer/X'

2007 Itasca 'Sunova' 26P ~ 2003 Rav4 'toad'(remco tranny pump)

rvannie23

• ---
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 03:59:44 PM »
This isnt just for dogs. My cat was allowed out often once I moved to a more remote area and was not big on the bottom step as soon as his front paws hit it the first time. His solution was to meow endlessly until I carried him out myself. Coming back in he went underneath the steps and hopped through the space onto the second step, spun around awkwardly and then bounded inside as if the bottom step would get him if he took too long  ::)
2014 Laredo 274rb TT
2015 Duramax
FL - MS - TX

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 04:09:23 PM »
Can't help with the step problem, but our yellow lab had one irrational fear we could never explain or remedy.  She was fine with thunder or gun shots but would tremble with fear and speed toward the back of the motorhome if we rumbled over a cattle guard.

Hosted by Over The Network