My 11 year old golden is frightend by the bottom step!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DickHutchings

My dog gets down to the bottom step and panics every time. I think if the movable step came out further or had some sort of extension on it, he would be alright. Anyone else had this problem and have a solution?

I don't have any solution, but our smallest rat dog, (half chihuahua/half yorkie) REFUSES to hit the bottom step on the way down. He'll use it going up...but not down. He jumps from the top step to the ground...ALWAYS. <shrug>

I have a 2" high platform that I lay at the bottom step with the welcome mat (shoe wiper) on it, and that seems to convince my dog that he can safely use it as a launching or landing pad.  He can hardly lift his own weight on one lag anymore so he gets a little running start and does a two legged bunny hop up the steps.

My dog got her claw stuck in the drain hole on my metal step once. And haven't steped on it since.  Try putting a pice of carpet on it

Is this a new behavior? We use a folding step stool at the bottom of the RV steps if it's too far to the ground. Seems to help. Could also be a color or texture issue, maybe use a rug or towel on the ground? Do treats inspire him to go? At 11 it could be a soreness issue going down the steps if it is new behavior.

I'm probably way out in left field with this one but is it possible that the dog may be getting a electrical shock when he steps on the steps with his front paws and his back paws are still on the ground. May something to check.

Hi We use a sliding ramp sold at petco for our two 13 year old labs and that seems to work fine

Bill

Our 6 yr old Yorkie also won't use the bottom step when exiting. She barely touches it going up. I think one time early on, she was going to fast out of the coach, step was still moving and scared her. We never thouhht other dogs would be the same way, since she is skittish about new stuff.

Well, if one human year is seven dog years, that Golden and I are running about equal. I know there are days when that step is hard on me too, so I have a 6" platform to ease things down.

Us old dogs need a little help now and again!

Neither our 4 nor 5 yr old Golden will use the bottom step.  We thought perhaps they couldn't see it well enough, so we put colored tape on it... no help.  Then we tried grip tape thinking they might be slipping... wouldn't touch it. 
Now, I just thing they're conspiring to make me crazy searching for a solution!  To date, I haven't found anything that has helped.

We also use a folding ramp.  Our 13 year old Golden uses the ramp and the 8 yr old still uses the steps(she's fearless about some things).

Steps on motor homes often "Give" a bit when weight is added.. This might be the problem.

I do not recommend it for other reasons (Which do not apply in my case at the moment) but R stor4es sell a device

Two flat plates oh, about 4" square with a shaft (Threaded) between them, YOu unscrew till it's the right height and it provides support for the step.

The Problem: Heaven forbid something happens that causes a jack to retract.. (I've been known to accidently do that while working under the dash) this is going to mangle the blazes out of your steps

Why it does not apply to me:  No jacks, sitting on jack stands,  solid steel, no electrical retract, Must hand remove.

I'm thinking that the problem might be that to you it's a step but to a dog looking at it from 12-18 inches off the ground it's more like like a ladder.  And a dog that usually can't see where his/her back legs are might find ladders a little scary.

Real stairs have a kick panel and wouldn't seem so daunting.

8Muddypaws said:
I'm thinking that the problem might be that to you it's a step but to a dog looking at it from 12-18 inches off the ground it's more like like a ladder.  And a dog that usually can't see where his/her back legs are might find ladders a little scary.

Real stairs have a kick panel and wouldn't seem so daunting.

I was a K9 officer and took lots of training in dog behavior, and you are spot on. Open stairs are scary to many dogs and require supportive training to get them to overcome their fear.

Our 1 year old golden is not afraid of open steps going down but always pauses and prepares to go up. He won't use the steps at all if the portable folding step  is at the bottom. We have to move it or he won't go up or down. Our steps have carpet on them; the portable step does not.

Randy328 said:
I was a K9 officer and took lots of training in dog behavior, and you are spot on. Open stairs are scary to many dogs and require supportive training to get them to overcome their fear.

So possibly putting a backing sheet on the steps would give the dogs the visual they need to be comfortable?

Our 8 year old flies over them in either direction.  She's fearless except for paper bags, boxes, vacuum cleaners and other harmless stuff.  Funny girl.  ;)

Wow, I forgot I posted this and forgot to turn on the Notify. Seems like I'm in good company!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom