Front DC TV doesn't work with engine running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuts_up

When the engine is running the rear dc tv works great, the front tv goes off within a few seconds after starting the engine.  If the engine is already going when you try to turn on the front tv, it won't come on at all.  When the engine is off the front tv works great.  This all happens with no shore power and no generator running.  Could there be a safety switch which turns the front tv off so the driver doesn't try to watch?  Any ideas?
???

cuts_up said:
Could there be a safety switch which turns the front tv off so the driver doesn't try to watch?  Any ideas? ???

Congratulations, you figured that one out yourself.  ;D

There is an interlock that shuts the power off to the TV when the ignition switch is turned on.

Thanks for clearing that up.  DH has found so much bad wiring in all the owner-installed equipment (original owner, not us), he couldn't decide if this was part of it or if there indeed is a safety switch.  I'll let him know before he tries to fix what ain't broken.  ;D

You said if the front TV was on when you started the rig that it went off and came back on.

This is NOT how it should operate if the screen is visible to the driver,  IT should be OFF any time the engine is running

As someone else posted.  Federal law, and in many (if not all) states, state law as well.  I know Michigan's coffers have been enriched by the occasional television watching driver.

We in the police buisness have a name for folks like that... Defendant

I didn't say it comes back on.  If that's what you understood, it's not what I meant.

It would be nice for passengers to be able to watch tv without going to the back.  In fact sometimes I would like to watch a movie while we are moving, but I don't like to leave dh at the wheel for too long alone, in case he needs water or a popsicle.  Gotta keep my driver and sanitation operator happy.  ;D

Well, as I said it is illegal for any operating television to be where the driver can see it

So use a portable in the galley or in some other area where the kids can see it, but the DRIVER can not. 

The advantage of this is the portable is useful for pointing the sat dish (if you have to do it manually) or as an outside tv if you wish, in addition to being useful on the road for watching shows.

And since the drive can not see it (Without turning around in his seat) it's legal!!!!

John In Detroit said:
Well, as I said it is illegal for any operating television to be where the driver can see it

John,

You can not make a blanket statement like that. There are a lot of MHs out there where the TV is also used as the rear camera monitor. Our TV is NOT disabled while driving. I know RVers that use the TV for a monitor for their laptops and have their mapping program and silverleaf displayed there.

Every motorhome is differant. I don't think motorhomes coming off the same line are identical.

Well, as for my blanket statement  I quote from my hard drive:

257.708b Equipping motor vehicle with means of visually receiving television or video
broadcast viewable by driver prohibited; applicability; location of permitted visual device;
special permit for research vehicle; violation as civil infraction.
Sec. 708b. (1) A person shall not equip or operate a motor vehicle that is to be used upon the highways of
this state with a television viewer, screen, or other means of visually receiving a television or video broadcast
which can be viewed by or reflected to the driver.
(2) This section does not apply to:
(a) A radio, heating and air conditioning, or other accessory controls in the motor vehicle.

NOTE that in the law it more or less defines television as BROADCAST,  THe law also applies to DVD or VCR players however as they "Broadcast" video as well

A closed circuit rear view monitor which is "An accessory control" in the vehicle, or a glass dash, would not count as they are not video or television broadcasts (Either over the air or over the counter broadcasts)

The above was copied out of the Michigan Vehicle Code by the way.

John In Detroit said:
My point, which you fully missed, is that a rear view monitor is NOT a broadcast television.

I didn't miss your point. I don't have a rear view monitor in my coach. I have a television.

Your statement was and I quote

"Well, as I said it is illegal for any operating television to be where the driver can see it"

Your statement says ILLEGAL FOR ANY OPERATING TELEVISION. There is no mention of any exceptions or other uses that would make that TELEVISION legal to use. Thus MY statement that you can't make BLANKET statements about televisions. Your knowledge is in Michigan. What is illegal in Michigan isn't necessarily illegal in other states. If you had said in your original statement that "operating a television receiving a broadcast signal where the driver can see it, is illegal in Michigan", then I would agree with that. But what you said would lead someone that doesn't know, that operating any television where the driver can see it is illegal everywhere! That may or may not be true.

When posting replies on the forum you have to remember that there are a lot of new RVers on here looking for information and guidance. If you were a brand new RVer, and the only knowledge you had about the vehicle code was your first statement. Would you think you were illegal using your rear view camera that was connected to your television?

That was my point in saying you shouldn't make blanket statements.

It also bothers me when someone says, "My (fill in MH manufacture) (fill in item) for that is located (here). So it has to be there on yours." That is true on his MH. We all know that there aren't two MHs coming off the line that are exactly the same. The experienced members here on the forum have to be careful how our statements will be interpreted by newbies here on the forum.

THe law also applies to DVD or VCR players however as they "Broadcast" video as well
They don't broadcast video any more than a tape player broadcasts music or a GPS broadcasts maps and driving tracks.
A closed circuit rear view monitor which is "An accessory control" in the vehicle, or a glass dash, would not count as they are not video or television broadcasts (Either over the air or over the counter broadcasts)
An accessory control is a control which controls an accessory - radio volume control, dashboard light dimmer control, a/c or heater temperature control -ad infinitum. A rearview monitor doesn't control anything except maybe its' own brightness. And I have no idea what you mean by "over the counter broadcasts" ???

DVD or VCR players "Broadcast" over a counter  A plant somewhere prints media, it's loaded on trucks and "Broadcast" by land all over the place.  (I do admit I'm using a liberal defination of broadcase)

A Rear view monitor is point-to-point  What you see on your rear view I won't likely be seeing on mine  I can't go to the local video store and buy a copy. Nor can I pick it up with my antenna.

That is the difference.

Another way of looking at it is "Television is entertainment"  The rear view monitor is operator information, as is the glass dash, the GPS or other nav-comp aid.

I respect your right to disagree with this.. However it does not change the fact that the original poster used "Television" in the context of over the cournter, or recorded off air, or broadcast over the air, video.  Which is the same defination I use for "Television, and not the rear view monitor, which, even if it is the same screen, is not broadcast, but a close circuit monitor.

Back
Top Bottom