Experience with Craig's List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I haven't purchased anything of significance on CL, but have seen the published concerns/warnings.

6 months ago, my DIL found a banjo on CL, and my son and I accompanied her to the seller's home in Columbus. We drove up the driveway covered in 2 feet of snow and, in retrospect, I thought "that was a dumb move; If we wanted to get out of here, it could have been a problem". It turned out to be a non-issue; We visited the home of a really nice couple and their family, and he played guitar in the local church.

Last Sunday I met a young guy in an empty public parking lot in downtown Columbus to buy a baritone ukulele. It turned out to be a great guy who is moving to the SFO Bay Area, and who we might recruit as a guitar player for our band.

I have bought several items and sold a motorhome on CL in Phoenix and have never had a problem. Most folks were just that.

I've bought & sold a few things and never had any concern either. I probably wouldn't show up in a bad part of town with $1000 in cash in my pocket, though. Common sense must apply!

I wouldn't have $1,000 cash in my pocket in any part of town, but definitely not to buy a used uke  ;)

Gary RV Roamer said:
I've bought & sold a few things and never had any concern either. I probably wouldn't show up in a bad part of town with $1000 in cash in my pocket, though. Common sense must apply!
Right Gary. You just have to be careful, no mater where you advertise to sell things. I've bought and sold several items from craigslist. I only deal in cash though. I just  sold my MH and a atv today for cash on craigslist. The fellow that bought the atv drove 80 miles yesterday thinking I'd take a check. And it may have been OK as he was a very stand up guy. He came back today with the cash, and bought it. To me it's no different than selling through the local newspaper, but it's free.

We sold our previous motorhome on CL for our asking price and with no problem.  The transfer of ownership was handled by the buyer's credit union (loan backed by his share account) and we cashed the CL's check several blocks down the street at our own bank's branch.  We did have a hint of a scam when selling a collapsible bike, but shut down that deal immediately when our instincts said "no!".  You just have to be careful and take reasonable precautions.

... we cashed the CL's check several blocks down the street at our own bank's branch.

Just for clarification Margi, was that "the CU's (credit union's) check"? I went looking for a Craig's List check  :-[

Yes.  Sorry for the typo.  It was the buyer's Credit Union check that we cashed.

I've used Craig's List to buy and sell, I use caution when meeting folks, and I use a great deal of caution when transferring funds. I have never had a problem. I agree that most folks are good people, but we use caution for that 1%.

I wouldn't have $1,000 cash in my pocket in any part of town, but definitely not to buy a used uke

An acquaintance who collects vintage guitars recently spent that much on a 50's vintage Fender electric. Found that one via Ebay, though.

A few years back another friend was shopping for a used fishing boat while visiting us in FL and found a very tempting offer via CL. The seller wanted him to bring $3500 in cash to a disreputable section of Miami.  I got him the address of the local police station and suggested they meet there instead. Oddly enough, the seller was not heard from again!

Times they are a changing and everyone needs to be careful. I just wrote a recent blog post on buying and selling online and much of it applies to buying on Craigslist. If your interested, have a look. https://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com/2016/07/how-to-avoid-scammers.html . Chuck

I was telling a musician friend about my one and only CL purchase, and he was very concerned about such practice. I commented that he's a big guy, and would be somewhat intimidating to a would-be mugger. He replied "not someone with a weapon". He admitted to being even more paranoid than me  :eek:

8) I had my first good experience with a fellow on CL! Had a car for sale! I called and he gave me his address and a time to stop by as he had his own shop in another location! he said he took the car for monies owed him for repairs! all he wanted was what he was owed! I took a friend and went by his address before the scheduled time, the houses were in a good location! He told me his wife would be home at that time. I went over with my friend and she gave me the key for a test drive. I drove it for about 20 minutes! Came back and he was there, showed me the work needed, biggest is the Air don't work and the rear hydraulic shocks leak. I gave him his asking price, he signed over the title! I have a collectible 1987 Mercedes SW, 6 cyl.  Turbo Diesel with newer Hankook tires, battery, radiator, hoses. Replaced the return injector lines. So far it needs some cosmetics, and one rear passenger window switch is bad. Oh, 165,800 miles and the drive-train is perfect! I'll just say it is book valued 3X's higher than what I gave!

The I hear the horror stories, so being aware of the surroundings, no hedging on the deal;  no bank drafts, no checks, money orders, maybe more! If possible meet at a police station, designated area with cameras or where many people are!

Here are a few things I've bought/sold using CL......

- bought my home
- bought a 99 Wrangler w/plow
- sold the 99 Wrangler w/plow
- bought newer truck wheels/tires
- sold old truck wheels/tires
- sold a few sets of car rims/tires
- sold VW parts
- bought an 05 F-250 6.0
- bought an 01 Cardinal 5th wheel
- sold the 01 Cardinal 5th wheel
- bought my 08 Palomino Puma 5th wheel

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. There have mostly been smooth transactions and a few headaches.

We just sold our goosneck flatbed trailer on CL... guy drove 100 miles, handed us 500 bucks and said he would be back with the rest  in two weeks when his truck was fixed.... never asked for something written or left us his name or phone number...!!!!  called today and is coming saturday to pick it up...wow!  we were a little paranoid as we live in the country, so we parked a vehicle in front, just in case he wasn't honest.and would come back in the dark ..but i guess he is.

I do a TON of CL deals in the PHX area. From $5 dishwares to $15,000 trailers. I rely on intuition. And of course, my Glock point four O and my generally intimidating appearance when the situation seems a little sketch. I acknowledge I'm blessed in these areas and not everyone can use them to their advantage. That being said I believe 'most' people are of a good heart. Without a firearm I negotiated down a seat for my HD from a man much bigger, much more intimidating than me and here I am to tell the tale. I cant believe how much money, or how many deals there are to be had on there. Want to test this? Go out there and search for people bartering a motorcycle for a pickup truck. Then search people bartering pickup trucks for motorcycles. It's insane but it makes a statement about our society. Hardly anyone wants to find a deal. Instead they put a small beacon out with their offer in hopes the world will answer. A little initiative pays big dividends these days.

Several cities in the Fort Worth area have started providing a place to meet to do CL deals or any other exchange. they have a well lighted area at the police station with surveillance cameras.
Bill

supermanotorious said:
I do a TON of CL deals in the PHX area. From $5 dishwares to $15,000 trailers. I rely on intuition.

Same here, I've sold and bought both of my RV's on Craigslist as well as dozens of household items.  I know I've saved thousands of dollars overall on stuff I would have bought retail otherwise.

After awhile on the site, you can recognized scams pretty easily... either from the ad itself, or from the way that the other person communicates (or doesn't) back to you.  Having a few phone conversations (in addition to e-mail) on big ticket items in advance can be helpful.

Always meet in a populated area (surveillance cameras even better) during daylight hours, and don't reveal if you are carrying large amounts of cash.  When I bought my trailer, I had $10,000 cash in a safe, concealed/locked in the covered bed of the truck I was driving.  The seller never knew I was bringing any money, just knew I was coming to look at the trailer.  But when it came down to making the deal, having the cash 10 feet away sure greased the wheels!

Back
Top Bottom