EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Experience with Craig's List  (Read 3765 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Experience with Craig's List
« on: July 22, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »
I haven't purchased anything of significance on CL, but have seen the published concerns/warnings.

6 months ago, my DIL found a banjo on CL, and my son and I accompanied her to the seller's home in Columbus. We drove up the driveway covered in 2 feet of snow and, in retrospect, I thought "that was a dumb move; If we wanted to get out of here, it could have been a problem". It turned out to be a non-issue; We visited the home of a really nice couple and their family, and he played guitar in the local church.

Last Sunday I met a young guy in an empty public parking lot in downtown Columbus to buy a baritone ukulele. It turned out to be a great guy who is moving to the SFO Bay Area, and who we might recruit as a guitar player for our band.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Experience with Craig's List
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 06:24:11 PM »
I have bought several items and sold a motorhome on CL in Phoenix and have never had a problem. Most folks were just that.

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:03:18 PM »
I sold a motorhome and a fireplace insert and bought a few things (mostly computers).  No problem, so far.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:09:36 PM »
I've bought & sold a few things and never had any concern either. I probably wouldn't show up in a bad part of town with $1000 in cash in my pocket, though. Common sense must apply!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 09:01:27 PM »
I wouldn't have $1,000 cash in my pocket in any part of town, but definitely not to buy a used uke  ;)

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 09:08:17 PM »
I've bought & sold a few things and never had any concern either. I probably wouldn't show up in a bad part of town with $1000 in cash in my pocket, though. Common sense must apply!
Right Gary. You just have to be careful, no mater where you advertise to sell things. I've bought and sold several items from craigslist. I only deal in cash though. I just  sold my MH and a atv today for cash on craigslist. The fellow that bought the atv drove 80 miles yesterday thinking I'd take a check. And it may have been OK as he was a very stand up guy. He came back today with the cash, and bought it. To me it's no different than selling through the local newspaper, but it's free.
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 09:12:20 PM »
We sold our previous motorhome on CL for our asking price and with no problem.  The transfer of ownership was handled by the buyer's credit union (loan backed by his share account) and we cashed the CL's check several blocks down the street at our own bank's branch.  We did have a hint of a scam when selling a collapsible bike, but shut down that deal immediately when our instincts said "no!".  You just have to be careful and take reasonable precautions.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 05:55:58 AM »
... we cashed the CL's check several blocks down the street at our own bank's branch.

Just for clarification Margi, was that "the CU's (credit union's) check"? I went looking for a Craig's List check  :-[

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 09:10:15 AM »
Yes.  Sorry for the typo.  It was the buyer's Credit Union check that we cashed.

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 09:29:31 AM »
I've used Craig's List to buy and sell, I use caution when meeting folks, and I use a great deal of caution when transferring funds. I have never had a problem. I agree that most folks are good people, but we use caution for that 1%.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 09:38:16 AM »
I wouldn't have $1,000 cash in my pocket in any part of town, but definitely not to buy a used uke

An acquaintance who collects vintage guitars recently spent that much on a 50's vintage Fender electric. Found that one via Ebay, though.

A few years back another friend was shopping for a used fishing boat while visiting us in FL and found a very tempting offer via CL. The seller wanted him to bring $3500 in cash to a disreputable section of Miami.  I got him the address of the local police station and suggested they meet there instead. Oddly enough, the seller was not heard from again!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 10:05:59 AM »
Times they are a changing and everyone needs to be careful. I just wrote a recent blog post on buying and selling online and much of it applies to buying on Craigslist. If your interested, have a look. https://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com/2016/07/how-to-avoid-scammers.html . Chuck
Chuck and Susan
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34J

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 10:15:15 AM »
I was telling a musician friend about my one and only CL purchase, and he was very concerned about such practice. I commented that he's a big guy, and would be somewhat intimidating to a would-be mugger. He replied "not someone with a weapon". He admitted to being even more paranoid than me  :o

Irover

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 11:12:50 AM »
 8) I had my first good experience with a fellow on CL! Had a car for sale! I called and he gave me his address and a time to stop by as he had his own shop in another location! he said he took the car for monies owed him for repairs! all he wanted was what he was owed! I took a friend and went by his address before the scheduled time, the houses were in a good location! He told me his wife would be home at that time. I went over with my friend and she gave me the key for a test drive. I drove it for about 20 minutes! Came back and he was there, showed me the work needed, biggest is the Air don't work and the rear hydraulic shocks leak. I gave him his asking price, he signed over the title! I have a collectible 1987 Mercedes SW, 6 cyl.  Turbo Diesel with newer Hankook tires, battery, radiator, hoses. Replaced the return injector lines. So far it needs some cosmetics, and one rear passenger window switch is bad. Oh, 165,800 miles and the drive-train is perfect! I'll just say it is book valued 3X's higher than what I gave!

The I hear the horror stories, so being aware of the surroundings, no hedging on the deal;  no bank drafts, no checks, money orders, maybe more! If possible meet at a police station, designated area with cameras or where many people are!
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

BeaverCrap

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »
Here are a few things I've bought/sold using CL......

- bought my home
- bought a 99 Wrangler w/plow
- sold the 99 Wrangler w/plow
- bought newer truck wheels/tires
- sold old truck wheels/tires
- sold a few sets of car rims/tires
- sold VW parts
- bought an 05 F-250 6.0
- bought an 01 Cardinal 5th wheel
- sold the 01 Cardinal 5th wheel
- bought my 08 Palomino Puma 5th wheel

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. There have mostly been smooth transactions and a few headaches.
- 2008 Palomino Puma 295BHSS 34ft. 5th Wheel 2 Slide Bunkhouse | LED Everything
- 2012 F-350 6.2 SRW | 8' Fisher HD Plow | Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch
- 2013 VW Jetta | APR Tuned
- 2012 Jeep Patriot
- 1 wife, 2 little girls, 2 big dogs

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 07:19:47 PM »
I've got 7 cords of firewood for sale and a guy is coming tomorrow to buy some. I placed an add on CL.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:46:32 AM by Rene T »
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

chaperall lite

• ---
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 09:57:36 PM »
We just sold our goosneck flatbed trailer on CL... guy drove 100 miles, handed us 500 bucks and said he would be back with the rest  in two weeks when his truck was fixed.... never asked for something written or left us his name or phone number...!!!!  called today and is coming saturday to pick it up...wow!  we were a little paranoid as we live in the country, so we parked a vehicle in front, just in case he wasn't honest.and would come back in the dark ..but i guess he is.
retired Central Minnesota
2009 Chaparral Lite  with1994  F250

supermanotorious

• ---
    • Phoenix Winch LLC
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 11:02:39 PM »
I do a TON of CL deals in the PHX area. From $5 dishwares to $15,000 trailers. I rely on intuition. And of course, my Glock point four O and my generally intimidating appearance when the situation seems a little sketch. I acknowledge I'm blessed in these areas and not everyone can use them to their advantage. That being said I believe 'most' people are of a good heart. Without a firearm I negotiated down a seat for my HD from a man much bigger, much more intimidating than me and here I am to tell the tale. I cant believe how much money, or how many deals there are to be had on there. Want to test this? Go out there and search for people bartering a motorcycle for a pickup truck. Then search people bartering pickup trucks for motorcycles. It's insane but it makes a statement about our society. Hardly anyone wants to find a deal. Instead they put a small beacon out with their offer in hopes the world will answer. A little initiative pays big dividends these days.
Home is Phoenix, AZ
2008 Skyline Freestyle M-240 Way-Lite
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna FXDX
2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 8.1L 496ci 4x4
1994 Four Winns Freedom
various quads, off-road gokarts, mini bikes
Phoenix Winch wakeboard winches

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 11:10:09 PM »
Several cities in the Fort Worth area have started providing a place to meet to do CL deals or any other exchange. they have a well lighted area at the police station with surveillance cameras.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 04:43:15 PM »
I do a TON of CL deals in the PHX area. From $5 dishwares to $15,000 trailers. I rely on intuition.

Same here, I've sold and bought both of my RV's on Craigslist as well as dozens of household items.  I know I've saved thousands of dollars overall on stuff I would have bought retail otherwise.

After awhile on the site, you can recognized scams pretty easily... either from the ad itself, or from the way that the other person communicates (or doesn't) back to you.  Having a few phone conversations (in addition to e-mail) on big ticket items in advance can be helpful.

Always meet in a populated area (surveillance cameras even better) during daylight hours, and don't reveal if you are carrying large amounts of cash.  When I bought my trailer, I had $10,000 cash in a safe, concealed/locked in the covered bed of the truck I was driving.  The seller never knew I was bringing any money, just knew I was coming to look at the trailer.  But when it came down to making the deal, having the cash 10 feet away sure greased the wheels!
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Old Radios

• ---
  • The Turtle - Our Harley Hauler
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 08:22:16 PM »
I found my first B camper van on Craig's list in the next state.  Eventually sold it on Craig's list.  Found my current C on craig's list in another state.  No problems with any of the transactions.

Did find a John Deere tractor I wanted a couple states away. Wanted to drive out and see it and purchase it.  Told it was already crated and would be shipped to me. I guess they thought I was born yesterday.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Custom Toad
2015 Harley Softail Deluxe Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 08:53:48 PM »
Did find a John Deere tractor I wanted a couple states away. Wanted to drive out and see it and purchase it.  Told it was already crated and would be shipped to me. I guess they thought I was born yesterday.

They probably wanted to quickly get your payment by Western Union also... ::)

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 09:16:02 PM »
In the city of Clovis California where I live the police department has set aside two parking places in front of the police station marked "Exchange Area".

It is for people who are exchanging things purchased over the internet.

They don't observe the transaction nor are they involved in the transaction, however the area is under camera surveillance and their thought is it may prevent some bad things from happening.

We've got a great police force here, not to mention all the other great first responders.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 10:24:01 PM »
Sounds like a good option to have Arch.

GA_Boy

• ---
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 10:02:10 PM »
I do the same Arch---Police/Fire Station and I'm a cash only Guy.
Marvin

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2016, 07:43:04 AM »
CL is like the newspaper want ads or the Tradin Times and I don't recall any particular paranoia about using those. I've sold furniture, hi-fi gear, tools, bikes, musical instruments etc. on CL with no problems other than people who say they're coming over but don't. This wasn't a problem in Chicago but it is here in St. Augustine.

Just this week, in preparation for a full timing life, I sold several pieces of high end audio gear and a piano on CL. People came over to the house, checked out the goods and took them home. No Glock needed.

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »
I've had great experiences buying and selling, but selling can be annoying, not because of Craigslist, but buyers that lack basic courtesy.  I can't not use it, as it has quite a stable of buyers and sellers.
Keith

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »
I have bought only a couple items on Craigslist, but have sold quite a few things including two cars.  Other than the occasional no-show I have had no issues.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

gargoyle158

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »
Common sense is the rule.  If you have a concern most police departments will gladly allow you to use their parking lot for your transaction.   Just recently bought a Class A based on a Craigslist ad.  Lovely lady i talked to on the phone.  She asked me if my wife would accompany me on our initial visit.  "Yes ma'am,  No way my wife would let me buy something like that without her"  Don't blame her a bit and i had to laugh about it.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2016, 07:20:06 PM »
I bought a DSL modem on CL and sold a truck.  I met the guy with the modem at a Starbucks.  I had the guy who wanted to look at the truck come to my house and had my neighbor Bob watching from his garage.  When the prospective buyer arrived he came over and told the guy that the truck had three time the odometer mileage on it, I never changed the oil and wrecked it several times. 

Turns out the buyer was one of his relatives and they had a good laugh at My expense.  He Bought the truck for my asking price.

I would think twice about buying a coach on CL.  Especially a long distance deal!  Nor would I do it without a full inspection by a good RV technician and mechanic.  Never carry large sums of cash, I suggest taking only your drivers license when you go to look.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 07:41:27 PM »
I bought my current RV off of Craigslist and it was 500 miles away. After I test drove it I made him an offer and he accepted it. We went to my bank and I got a cashiers check cut for him and we signed it over in the bank lobby. The whole deal took two hours.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 10:09:06 AM »
A new, improved Craigslist experience... even better and faster than my previous uses!

I am in the market for a new-to-me daily driver, a 3-row midsize SUV.  In preparation for that cash purchase, I put up a Craiglist ad for my current vehicle (2007 Chrysler Pacifica with 163k miles) this past Monday.  I only posted the ad in my local central Illinois CG website, and planned to re-post in largers areas around me (Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis) within a few days, in the hopes of drawing in a buyer from a couple hours away.  My hope was to have the vehicle sold within a month or so.

A nice guy called about the Pacifica the next day (Tuesday), came to check it out yesterday (Wednesday), put cash in my hand, and drove away with it.  Nicest older gentleman I ever met, buying the Pacifica for his granddaughter who just had a baby.

So that 2-day sale cost me nothing (except about 30 minutes to take quality photos and make the online ad), and would have happened in 1 day but the buyer's bank was already closed when he first called on Tuesday.

Also, I almost restricted my Craigslist ad communication options to e-mail only.  Then I figured I better add my cell phone number for texts.  Then I thought, "okay I'll allow voice calls too" since there are some people that still do that.  ;)  Good thing I did, as this gentleman said he does not e-mail unknown strangers through Craigslist and hardly ever uses his cell phone.  When he said, it ain't for text messaging!

Win-win situation.  Although this is the first time I've ever sold a vehicle, before already owning its replacement!  ???  (Luckily I have my Suburban and a classic Pontiac I can drive in a pinch.)

PatStab

• ---
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2016, 05:46:10 PM »
We buy off of ebay have bought a ton of stuff, no issues so far.

PatStab

• ---
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2016, 06:07:24 PM »
I have sold a trailer, 2 cars, and a very old 1977 F600 dump truck with a sign in my front yard or
the local yard sale forum within a few days of putting them out. Day before yesterday listed
a mattress set and a couch on our local yard sale site and had them sold in an hour or so.

And we live out in the country, way out on a secondary state road.

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2016, 08:48:41 AM »
I've had very good luck with Craigslist.

My current (and only) motorhome came from there.

I sold stuff on it too.

You MUST use good common sense and it doesn't feel right DON'T DO IT!

Also if you plan to sell something include loads of pics and a LONG detailed list of included parts and options plus a nice lengthy informative description. Write all this OFF LINE and get it all nice, neat and perfect, then copy and paste.

For editing, it helps to read it out loud to yourself and others before finalizing everything.

If you have included a ton of information then the only phone calls you will get will be from buyers with money in hand.

I suggest you DO include your phone number and plan to answer every phone call and not waste time with phone tag. Craigslist hides your number from robots, the potential buyer has to click through to get your number.

For instance when I sold my old bicycle I was competing against over 1800 bicycle for sale! I spent hours writing up a lengthy informative advertisement and included some freebies and lots of pics.

I posted the ad.

An hour later the first call came in.

Another hour they arrived.

Twenty minutes later we are loading up the bicycle.

In under three hours, my ad was put up, item sold and ad gone. The other 1800 bicycle ads were still there. Many with barely a sentence describing them and some didn't even bother with even a crummy pic.

http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

Hosted by Over The Network