5TH wheel advantage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesheba

Are there advantages to the 5th wheel rv over the more common trailer type rv? Easier towing,etc.?

We went with the fifth wheel camper for a couple of reasons.  First, my wife fell in love with the high ceilings of the living area. She doesn't like small spaces (she grew up in a small town house and never wants to go back), so the lower ceilings of travel trailers made her feel too cramped.  I also like the stability of towing the fifth wheel, but because of the heavier pin-weight of the trailer we bought, we needed to go with the 1-ton truck instead of a 3/4 ton truck. That was an added expense.  There are a number of hitching systems for travel trailers, however, that make towing them pretty stable too.

I think it's more difficult to hitch up to a fifth wheel, but maybe that's just me.  It takes me a bit more time hook up.  The closer distance between the trailer's axles and my truck's axles, however, seems to give me a little bit more control/stability.  We're pretty happy. 

There was a bit of a discussion of fifth wheel vs. travel trailer on this thread.

-Dave

A fifth wheel hitching mechanism is inherently more directionally stable than a conventional "tagalong" or "bumper pull" mechanism. With larger trailers, this becomes a factor, which is why most larger trailers are fifth wheels. But conventional (travel trailer) hitches with built in sway controls and weight distribution can pretty much equal the towing performance that is inherent in a fifth wheel. A travel trailer on a Hensley Arrow hitch is the equal of any towable rig on the road.

As for layout and design, I cannot think of any inherent advantages.  There are some travel trailers with high ceilings, 35 foot+ lengths, and all the amenities of a high end fifth wheel. You probably won't see one on a dealer lot cause fifth wheels are more popular in that size/price range, but they are available to order.

I've always wondered why folks go with 5th wheel trailers. It's about stability.

So, do they have tighter turning radius? How's backing up? Simpler, or similar experience?

-John

So, do they have tighter turning radius? How's backing up? Simpler, or similar experience?

Tighter? No, but the fifth wheel turns inside the tow vehicles track whereas a travel trailer (aka tagalong or bumper pull) pretty much follows the tow vehicles track.

Backing? Well, a tagalong reacts much more quickly to steering input than a fifth wheel. Some people adapt better to one than the other, but neither is what I would call "better". Just different from each other.

RV Roamer said:
A fifth wheel hitching mechanism is inherently more directionally stable than a conventional "tagalong" or "bumper pull" mechanism. With larger trailers, this becomes a factor, which is why most larger trailers are fifth wheels. But conventional (travel trailer) hitches with built in sway controls and weight distribution can pretty much equal the towing performance that is inherent in a fifth wheel. A travel trailer on a Hensley Arrow hitch is the equal of any towable rig on the road.

As for layout and design, I cannot think of any inherent advantages.  There are some travel trailers with high ceilings, 35 foot+ lengths, and all the amenities of a high end fifth wheel. You probably won't see one on a dealer lot cause fifth wheels are more popular in that size/price range, but they are available to order.

As the representative travel trailer trash here, let me second most every thing you said.  What it boils down to is that 5ers handle the large end of trailers, over 30 foot better than the travel trailer.  Conversely, the TT handles the smaller end better, 26 foot on down.    In the middle, you pays yer money and you takes yer cherce. 

That said, 5ers are still better at tree pruning. ;D

Carl L said:
That said, 5ers are still better at tree pruning. ;D

That's a scream, Carl!  Yup, at a hair under 12', my 5er has made me duck a few times.  Once I had to back into a pull-through spot because the trees on the entrance side were too low at the top for me to pull through.

-Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom